VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I've just bought a bunch of old mainboards from a guy who was collecting the CPUs from them and i noticed that all the 386 mainboards don't have any I/O connectors on them.

- was that normal back then?
- were there standard I/O cards for IDE and Floppy similar to today PCI/PCIe standard add-on cards or did they have to match exactly to the BIOS of the mainboard?
- is there any chance today to get some of these I/O cards that would fit to my mainboards or would that be highly unlikely?

thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

they all had drive tables in BIOS most had a user selected type 47 in which you could add custom drive types. Any isa IDE card should work. Most ide cards also have 1 parallel and 1 or 2 serial ports on them and a floppy controller. Check Ebay or Amazon i see some as cheap as $14.00

Reply 2 of 10, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appleiiguy wrote:

they all had drive tables in BIOS most had a user selected type 47 in which you could add custom drive types. Any isa IDE card should work. Most ide cards also have 1 parallel and 1 or 2 serial ports on them and a floppy controller. Check Ebay or Amazon i see some as cheap as $14.00

ah ok i understand - so you mean something like this?

http://www.ebay.at/itm/gear-GoldStar-ISA-Cont … =item20f3c8dc67

Reply 3 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. Usually there weren't any I/O on 386 motherboards - only some brand names like IBM, Compaq... used all-in-one motherboards. Any ISA I/O controller is OK - if it is in working condition.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As said, you need an ISA controller card. They usually give you serial, parallel, maybe game port as well as FDD and one, maybe two IDE channels.

I have tried a LOT of controllers and hands down the one that works most often is the Goldstar Prime 2. So that one gets my vote. Got a ton of others with Winbond chip and none of them work which is odd but it is what it is.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the only port on 386-era motherboards is the keyboard DIN. All others must be added with ISA cards.
The progress is the very slow thing. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 10, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for all the information!

my first own pc was a 286 from the dump (there were already 486) and my second own pc was a 2nd hand 386 when already Pentium 1 were around.

however as i was a kid back then, i didn't dare to open one of these computers. the first pc i opened was my Pentium 1 in 1995 and the first PC i assembled by myself was an AMD K6-2 400 so I don't really have deep hardware knowledge of anything before Socket 7 allthough I'm very interested, reading and learning very much as I've spent quite a lot time with many pre-Socket 7 machines back then...

edit: i'm now planning to build a system based on the asus isa-386c, already got a 386 cpu and placed bids on I/O, vga and sound cards. the only thing that will be hard to get is a nice, decent AT case.