VOGONS

Pentium 100/98Mb/Voodoo and HalfLife: amazing

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, just built this pc Pentium 100 and 98mb 72pin on Win98 and I have no words it is running Half life with 3dfx miniGl and the Voodoo1 with the S3 Virge 2Mb quiet well almost 15-25fps 640p all effects.. I would like to try a 486 100mhz but i dont have the mobo.

Reply 1 of 72, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

Hi, just built this pc Pentium 100 and 98mb 72pin on Win98 and I have no words it is running Half life with 3dfx miniGl and the Voodoo1 with the S3 Virge 2Mb quiet well almost 15-25fps 640p all effects.. I would like to try a 486 100mhz but i dont have the mobo.

Ummmm...... How did you get 98MB of RAM 😕 Might be 96MB?

Reply 3 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll assure you that HalfLife Wont be amazing on a 486DX4 100mhz with a voodoo2 no really not even a AM5x86 at 160mhz will cut it well but maybe a pentium overdrive may have a chance. !

HalfLife really needs the ram because it has bad optimization dealing with sound and textures, the 24mb ram requirement seems like a lie

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 72, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that seems reasonable, i don't have benchmark demos for halflife but i got 23fps with pmmx-133 in quake2.
i am afraid that you would get around one thirds the score of pentium with a 486 of same clock, if you can squeeze in enough memory and get the 3d card running first.

Reply 5 of 72, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I doubt even with a V1 that the 486 would do very well in a Quake 1 based engine. Q1 & HL do so much better with a strong FPU and Pentium architecture. Running Q1 software render on a 586 @ 160mhz (Evergreen 486 converter) was painful compared to a true Pentium 90. For HL, I'd suppose a low end Pentium would be the absolute bare minimum you could get a playable framerate. Best of luck though 😀.

Reply 6 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually with a V2 there's multitexture optimization with the world and the 486 doesn't have to crunch the lightmap blending or span drivers (Quake's two big 486 offenders) leaving more breathing room, GLQuake is far faster than software Quake on one. (as long as you have r_dynamic 0 or gl_flashblend 1 🤣, texture uploads are slow through the early PCI bus)

Half-Life is a heavy floating offender though, thanks to the skeletons and sound DSP

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 72, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played Half-Life on my Pentium 166MMX with Voodoo2 back in the days. Can't say it was a pleasent experience with 15-25 FPS. I don't believe you can get the same FPS on a 486, sorry. Did you just test in areas with no action/little graphics?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 72, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't tested exactly with console commands but from a approximate point of view I would say more then 15 fps.. Not with the 486 of course but with the original Pentium 100 with a I430VX and the Voodoo1 latest drivers. I've to say obviously miniGL driver is probably the best help here but anyway Pentium 100 was a great cpu. I also web surfed with Opera 9 and if you've patience not that bad. 🤣

Reply 9 of 72, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I played Half-Life on a Pentium 233MMX and a RealVision Flash 3D Voodoo 1. An while it looked good, max FPS was probably around 20-22 (and I'm being generous with that estimate 😐 ). It wasn't until I got a P3 700, Voodoo 2 and Nvidia TNT2 that I got much better performance; an Athlon 1.4GHz and GeForce 2 made even more of a difference 😀

386SX wrote:

I also web surfed with Opera 9 and if you've patience not that bad. 🤣

You're a brave man to surf the web with a Pentium 100. I wouldn't even try - patience is not one of my virtues 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 72, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're a brave man to surf the web with a Pentium 100. I wouldn't even try - patience is not one of my virtues

Excuse me. 486 passing through!

I can imagine that a P100 really wouldn't be too bad. Although its getting worse all the time thanks to "web 2.0" bloat

Reply 11 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

web 3.0 bloat is worse. Mandatory HTML5 or WebGL compliance for basic site functionality? eugh

would LOVE a bloatfree light win9x NOT WEBKIT html5/webgl compliant browser, like a offbyone for modern web.

bonus points if there's voodoo trickery to force mpeg2 accelerated web video instead of all of those 'faster & better!!!' video formats

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 72, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
smeezekitty wrote:

Excuse me. 486 passing through!

Go on, that particular road is wide open for someone like you 😀 (that includes anyone using a 286/386/486/Pentium 1 to browse today's web). Just don't expect me to pass on by anytime soon ^^.

leileilol wrote:

web 3.0 bloat is worse. Mandatory HTML5 or WebGL compliance for basic site functionality? eugh

would LOVE a bloatfree light win9x NOT WEBKIT html5/webgl compliant browser, like a offbyone for modern web.

That would be a miracle if it ever were to happen 😮

leileilol wrote:

bonus points if there's voodoo trickery to force mpeg2 accelerated web video instead of all of those 'faster & better!!!' video formats

I remember using VoodooMovie back in the day (it was called 3dfx video renderer at first) with my Voodoo 1. It did work, but was never more than a novelty for me; I stopped using it after version 1.3.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 13 of 72, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

I remember using VoodooMovie back in the day (it was called 3dfx video renderer at first) with my Voodoo 1. It did work, but was never more than a novelty for me; I stopped using it after version 1.3.

Hah, me too - though I didn't think he literally meant "Voodoo" this time! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 72, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Stiletto wrote:
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Hah, me too - though I didn't think he literally meant "Voodoo" this time! 😁

Indeed. I just went ahead and took a little "detour", just to make things more interesting 😊

Back on topic - if the OP wants to try Half-Life on a 486-class CPU, go ahead. As others have said, it needs at least a Pentium-class CPU to be playable; even a Voodoo card won't help much.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 15 of 72, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

That would be fucking awesome. If someone made an Android port that would be even better.

Reply 17 of 72, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I switched the S3+Voodoo combo for a Mystique PCI + M3D. It's incredible how good the 2D quality is both colors and sharpness and considering the same P100 with W98 it's incredible how FAST this machine is working.
I am surfing these pages with no javascript or animations (no flash hd 😁) and with a bit of patience it's certainly usable for light reading and mails.

Tested the PWR tech demos (nice), now I'll test both Quake and HL.

Regarding the 486, I can imagine (I tested a DX2 66Mhz with Quake sw and W98) that HL is probably too much but I would like to find a DX4-100 maybe overdrive to push this architecture to their limits. 😀

Reply 19 of 72, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PowerVR cards need lots of CPU horsepower to really shine. A P100 is not a good choice, Voodoo1 would be much faster. Both cards cards should yield similar performance in glQuake with a faster CPU, though.