VOGONS

First post, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi people, i've got a Permedia 2 vga and i was thinking about using it somewhere, which system would be appropiate or "period correct" for it?

2611708.png

Reply 3 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second the Slot1 suggestion and the Trident MIGHT actually be faster. The only way to find out would be to try them both out 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 9, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

I second the Slot1 suggestion and the Trident MIGHT actually be faster. The only way to find out would be to try them both out 😀

3dmark99 here we go! Although i've got a few slot1 systems, so the faster card goes with the faster processor and vice-versa

2611708.png

Reply 5 of 9, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sebaz_ri wrote:

Yup, i was thinking something along these lines would be enough. Also i've got a Trident Blade 3D AGP, which of these would be faster?

trident blade3d is far faster, at nearly twice the performance of permedia2. no wonder its released as late as 1999 and the last known single-rendering-pipeline 3d card to be released.
you may need a fast cpu to max it out though, i tested with pentium3-s 1.4g.

Reply 6 of 9, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:

Yup, i was thinking something along these lines would be enough. Also i've got a Trident Blade 3D AGP, which of these would be faster?

trident blade3d is far faster, at nearly twice the performance of permedia2. no wonder its released as late as 1999 and the last known single-rendering-pipeline 3d card to be released.

What's the big deal about that single rendering pipeline?

2611708.png

Reply 7 of 9, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sebaz_ri wrote:

What's the big deal about that single rendering pipeline?

just means that it belongs to an older generation of technology, although released in 1999.

Reply 8 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:

Not true. Radeon VE/7000 released in 2000 as a single pipeline chip, although it has more TMUs than 9880. It might be safer to claim 9880 as the last single-TMU chip.

Reply 9 of 9, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

Not true. Radeon VE/7000 released in 2000 as a single pipeline chip, although it has more TMUs than 9880. It might be safer to claim 9880 as the last single-TMU chip.

yeah i was actually refering to TMUs, i just feel it a bit complicated to explain the concepts to others.
the gf6200le is another exception, its the only post-1999 card that i know to have only 2 TMUs. 🤣