VOGONS

First post, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put together a nice little MS-DOS rig and have been steadily improving it. P-133, 16 MB, S3 Virge, SB16, GUS ... and an Intel EtherExpress 16 NIC.

In my previous living situation, I had all my computers connected to my AT&T DSL modem, and I used NWLink (IPX/SPX) from the old Microsoft Network Client to connect from the DOS machine to a share on a Windows XP machine. It worked fantastically for transferring files.

My situation has changed, however, and now I have those computers connected to a Linksys router, which itself is connected to a NIC on a third computer; that NIC shares out, via Internet Connection Sharing, my landlord's wireless.

For some reason I can't connect to the share anymore. That's fine, I thought, maybe the router just doesn't like something about IPX (not sure what, since that's not even a routed protocol). So I added TCP/IP to the MS client's installed protocols on the DOS machine, confirmed that both the DOS and XP machines could ping each other over the router LAN, and tried to access the share again. It keeps telling me "Access Denied", and what I've tried so far on the XP machine - opening up share/NTFS wide open, enabling the Guest account, trying a few Group Policy settings related to SMB security - hasn't had an effect.

So, I'd like to ask the following:

- Anything obvious that I've missed?

- Am I going about this whole thing the wrong way? How would you network a DOS 6.22 machine?

Reply 1 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How would / am I doing it? I've got a Pentium 100 machine and just went with Windows 98 SE + MS-DOS mode 7.1 😀

Windows networking is great and user friendly. This might not be what you're interested in but it works for me.

With MS-DOS networking I used mTCP with great success. It uses FTP though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 16, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going past DOS 6.22 on this machine. Windows isn't an option. 😀

I've been looking into the mTCP suite but for some reason it refuses to see my NIC on 0x310, which is the I/O address that the MS Network Client claims it has, so it won't let me initialize its stack. I only played around with that a little while last night, though (was tired after a couple hours of troubleshooting). Gonna revisit it tonight...

Reply 3 of 16, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This describes one way to set up an MSDOS network boot floppy
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726979.aspx
It uses an NT server 4 CD to provide the basics, but some of the other points may be relevant.

The other thing, ensure that The Windows XP system has TCP/IP protocol bound to client and sharing, otherwise it will not use TCP/IP for these services.

Reply 5 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can ping then try something else like FTP and see if you can login. If so then it's an issue with share\NTFS permissions or user credentials.

If you think it's a network issue (unlikely) you can always do crossover to the pc.

DOS networking is fine.....once it's setup.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 16, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Subjunctive wrote:

Yeah, I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going past DOS 6.22 on this machine. Windows isn't an option. 😀

I've been looking into the mTCP suite but for some reason it refuses to see my NIC on 0x310, which is the I/O address that the MS Network Client claims it has, so it won't let me initialize its stack. I only played around with that a little while last night, though (was tired after a couple hours of troubleshooting). Gonna revisit it tonight...

I have a new tool that might help you figure out packet driver problems. I'll pm you a link tonight.

(It scans the interrupt vectors for packet drivers and interrogates each one that it finds.)

Reply 7 of 16, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to go the FTP route - with success!

I figured out what I was doing wrong with mTCP: I didn't even have a packet driver loaded for my NIC.

So:

c:\intel\packet\exp16.com 0x60 0x310

0x60 - the packet driver interrupt - is what you feed to mTCP, not 0x310, the I/O address. Then you just set the MTCPCFG variable, run DHCP, and voila - I was able to get FTP from the mTCP suite working! It connected just fine to a WarFTP Daemon that I'd quickly set up on the XP machine, and after quickly relearning some FTP commands I was in business transferring files!

Thanks to everyone for their help and thanks especially to Mr. Brutman for writing this little suite of programs. Saved my bacon. I'm glad I was finally able to get TCP/IP working on DOS; although NWLink with IPX worked okay for me before, ultimately I wasn't thrilled about being beholden to it.

Reply 8 of 16, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

DOS networking is fine.....once it's setup.

That depends...If what you are using just interacts with a packet driver (for example Arachne and such), it isn't bad.

But things like Windows file sharing is close to worthless on DOS. 9x is overall a much more flexible networking platform

Reply 9 of 16, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about Windows 3.11 for workgroups? No experience with it myself but I have heard that it is pretty good.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

How about Windows 3.11 for workgroups? No experience with it myself but I have heard that it is pretty good.

It works well. It should piss easy to use the Dos network client on that box though. There's a ton of tutorials on the subject.

The OP should be able access the XP shares by just logging in as a user for that box. Same goes for accessing smb shares on a *nix box.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for Win 3.11, If for no other reasion that its about the only real use windows has on a dos games PC.
Win95 or ftp methods are much better options though.

Reply 13 of 16, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not going past DOS 6.22 on this machine for a variety of reasons, but like I said, I was able to get it fixed anyway. I'm humming along with FTP now. mTCP and a little learning saved me!

What was weird was that, when I was trying to map the Windows share (via net.exe), and it told me Access Denied, it never prompted me for a username - just a password. Didn't seem to matter what users I set up on the XP machine, what level of access I gave them to the share, or what username or password file I configured in net.exe (I'm honestly still not sure what those were even for); nothing I entered for the password was accepted. So I started to suspect it wasn't just a credentials issue, and that's when I began seriously looking at TCP/IP. 😀

Reply 15 of 16, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC you had to allow plaintext (or some weaker encryption) passwords on a 2K/XP machine to get MS Network Client to connect. Once you get it to work, it's much easier to use vs FTP, IMO.

Reply 16 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Netbeui as a protocol works a treat too.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉