VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have another nice problem whit my HP T5700 ThinClient. I have a tripple boot on it whit Windows 95, 98 and Dos 6.22. Now everything in DOS is working (even USB DVD Player), but not the onboard audio. This is a Via VT1612A whit VT8231 chipset. According to VIA it should work under DOS, but i have to change a BIOS setting, interated Audio must set to Legacy / SB Pro setting. Now there is my problem, the BIOS doesn't has this option.

So I need a tool to change a unsuported BIOS setting. I know there was WPCREDIT to change some setting under Windows. But is there something like that for DOS? I already tested TweakBios whit no success, couln't find a free version. I have to register this version on a site which is down. And also there i could not find this option.

Well i think i need a tool like wpcredit for dos to make direktly changes to the settings. Does someone has any idea?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the BIOS doesn't have the option in question, then it seems to me that you either need a BIOS update, or whatever you were reading relates to different hardware.

In any case, if WPCREDIT works in Windows, and you are triple-booting your computer, why do you need something that works in DOS? Since it's the BIOS, even if you change the setting in Windows, the change will still be applied if you reboot into DOS afterwards.

Reply 2 of 9, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I reboot the settings are gone. So I have to set those in DOS separately. (and that's good, because if you screw something up in your settings, they are gone after a reboot).

Don't think that there are other BIOS version who support this function. Just because it's a thin client running XPe, and not ment to run DOS. A custom BIOS could do the trick, but didn't find any.

A VIA tool would be nice.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman78 wrote:

When I reboot the settings are gone.

But BIOS settings by definition do not go away when you reboot. Further examination suggests that WPCREDIT edits the PCI Configuration Register, which is not really the same thing. Are you actually able to change this particular setting you're looking at in Windows using WPCREDIT?

I think I saw something about a DOS utility for setting PCI registers when I was reading about SB Live cards, but at the moment all I can find is serren.exe , which is specific to Intel chipsets.

Reply 7 of 9, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not tested WPCREDIT on this one yet. But I tested MODBIN, but somehow I cant figure out how it's working.

I downloaded version 4,5 and 6 from here: http://www.bios-info.de/download/dlprgs.htm both asking for a bin file. So I downloaded AWDFLASH899 and saved the bios to a bin file. But 4,5 gives a Checksum error and 6 sais it's not a version 6 bios.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman78 wrote:

I did not tested WPCREDIT on this one yet.

I don't understand. You said:

Roman78 wrote:

When I reboot the settings are gone.

So what settings did you change?

You realize you can irrepairably damage your motherboard with MODBIN, right?