Most powerful K6 2/2+,3/3+ ?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The guy on ebay who has a truckload of them recently raised his prices to crazy stupid levels. He was having trouble selling them at $25, then all of a sudden he raises the price to almost $150. I don't know what his thought process is that justifies doing that. He's only going to kill whatever sales he was getting at $25. About 2 weeks before he raised his prices I managed to find a K6-2+ 550 and a K6-2+ 570 from other sellers for less than even the $25 that he was charging originally. I also managed to pick up a K6-III+ 450 in the the same price range as the other two and IIRC, they will all hit 600mhz with the right motherboard.

I remember that guy. Several years ago I tried to offer him $15 for one of his K6-2+ 570 chips, which I felt was more than reasonable; He did not accept. If I recall, he had tens of thousands of these chips. I still do not own a K6-2+ 570 because, as others have pointed out, 500 MHz is a sufficient limit.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 45, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:
386SX wrote:

A K6-3+ at 2.4v sounds quiet a lot.. 😁 And I was afraid to run my K6-2+ at 2.1v, considering they are not so easy to find in a ocean of original K6-2s.

Have you delided it?

Nope. No need to, it barely gets warm with the socket 370 spire cooler I use. Besides, I run it at 550mhz / 1.8v for daily operation since there is barely any difference between 550 and 600MHz, and I can't use an agp card if I try a FSB higher then 100MHz.

vetz wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

will not divide FSB/4 for PCI, just like the intel 440bx...

Just to correct you there, that is true for most 440BX boards, but the later ones, like ASUS P3B-F have such a divider and can run at 133mhz without much trouble. AGP bus is another subject though..

Yes, I'm sorry, I was thinking of the AGP bus, but for some reason I wrote down PCI.

F2bnp wrote:

I know what you're trying to say. I used to have a Gigabyte GA-5AX and now I own a P5A-B. Neither of them could run my CPUs at 600MHz 🙁.

The P5A doesn't seem fully stable at 550mhz either, and the 5AA requires 2.1v for 550mhz operation. Even worse, I have 450mhz regular K6-2 chips (no l2 cache) that work at 550MHz @ 2.2v on my lucky tech boards but are only stable up to 500 on the P5A. I had the P5A recapped too. I don't think the Aladdin V like overclocking much.

Reply 42 of 45, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I don't think the Aladdin V like overclocking much.

Both my K6-2+ 533mhz and K6-3+ 400 mhz run at 600 mhz fine, on my Jetway 542C board which has Alladin 5, so probably depends from board to board.
My model for example,altough supports 2.0 v, neither cpu will post at that voltage, u need to set 2.1 v in order to work, becouse as stated in a Faq on Jetway site some versions of this model use a different voltage regulator.

Reply 43 of 45, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

I don't think the Aladdin V like overclocking much.

Both my K6-2+ 533mhz and K6-3+ 400 mhz run at 600 mhz fine, on my Jetway 542C board which has Alladin 5, so probably depends from board to board.
My model for example,altough supports 2.0 v, neither cpu will post at that voltage, u need to set 2.1 v in order to work, becouse as stated in a Faq on Jetway site some versions of this model use a different voltage regulator.

It's possible I've just had bad luck with ALi socket 7 chipsets. And I've had quite a few aladdin V boards. I love their 754/939 chipsets tough.

Reply 44 of 45, by Capsndave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386SX wrote on 2016-01-18, 19:45:

Have anyone here a real official K6-3+ 550?

Yes. I recently dug it out of the garage and paired with an Epox-EpMVPC5 MB and Radeon 9700pro. I’ve added the Aureal Sonic Vortex 2 sound card and it appears to be running fast and smooth under Win2k with Omega drivers. My plan is to use an SSD drive (with StarTech IDE adapter) for a dual boot Win2k / Win98 system. Initial tests on Q3D shows frame rates at 55-85 FPS. This goes up to 100 without a sound card.