VOGONS

First post, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I have been reading posts on this forum for more than a year, but only now i'm posting.

I have a couple of Super Socket 7 motherboards (FIC VA-503+ and Soyo SY-5EHM) and Socket 7 (the infamous PcChips M537DMA) using AT power supply units. I have been using the M537DMA for the past 15 years (recently replaced by the VA-503+) and her PSU have a problem with the fan, beside it's 15 years of use, that sometimes doesn't start and i need to force it to spin.

I need to replace it and i would prefer to use a brand new quality ATX PSU than a used AT from eBay, but the modern ATX are different from the ATX from more than a decade ago. Doing some searchs, i found out about a ATX to AT converter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7JUVO/ref=wl_it … =I1VV7WSOQNC6ZH

With that, comes a questions that i hope someone here could answer:

Can i use it that converter with a today's ATX PSU? Or do i need to use a older ATX 1.0?

(Sorry for any english errors, not my first language)

"I don't believe in the No-Win Scenario" Admiral James T. Kirk

Reply 1 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any modern ATX should work from my understanding. I've also just done this with a Pentium computer (1995 Packard Bell Legend 812CD with a 100mhz Pentium) and it runs fine.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 13, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will run fine. But Early ATX and nowaday ATX psu's got different technology solutions. You can use even SeaSonic Platinum-1200Watt with this adapter. But personnaly I wouldn't go with it, if you won't shorten liveliness of your mobo then better look for an cheap AT psu in price of this adapter on second hand store, charity sale, car boot sale, thrift store whatever.

Godlike

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 3 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, these work just fine with newer PSUs. I've been using them Corsair semi-modular 430W power supplies without issue.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen some PSU's that don't supply -5 volts and from working with the TeraDrive (Which doesn't have any negative rails) I can only imaging this might be an issue. In the teradrive it prevents the amp working on Sound Blaster cards, that much is for certain.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 13, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Yep, that's why you need one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251025150787

English isn't his native language so he will have to pay for international shipping of 36usd total. I would suggest to by AT psu somewhere cheaper and dedicated to that hardware. Is up to thread owner of course.
Regards

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 7 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He could always just repair the fan too of course... Though that can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing with mains power.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8 of 13, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

but the modern ATX are different from the ATX from more than a decade ago.

That's correct!
As you said the specification for newer ATX is different from the ATX 1.0. You'll see the power cable is simply missing the -5v wire, that's normally WHITE.

hookan91, what kind of cards do you use with those motherboards? All PCI? Some ISA?

I'm using a really recent ATX psu in my retro computer, but had to buy an ATX -> AT adapter because the psu itself didn't supply -5v to the motherboard.
That did cause some issues with some ISA cards that make use of that voltage­, for example the Sound Blaster 2.0 and the LAPC-I, making them either not work or output garbage.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 9 of 13, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Godlike wrote:
Artex wrote:

Yep, that's why you need one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251025150787

English isn't his native language so he will have to pay for international shipping of 36usd total. I would suggest to by AT psu somewhere cheaper and dedicated to that hardware. Is up to thread owner of course.
Regards

A AT PSU isn't out of the question, i found several on auction sites here. But the converter in the OP is around $5 to ship to Brazil. $12 for the converter is cheaper than a used AT PSU.

HighTreason wrote:

He could always just repair the fan too of course... Though that can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing with mains power.

I prefer not to mess with it, i would probably end up breaking it.

Beegle wrote:
That's correct! As you said the specification for newer ATX is different from the ATX 1.0. You'll see the power cable is simply […]
Show full quote

but the modern ATX are different from the ATX from more than a decade ago.

That's correct!
As you said the specification for newer ATX is different from the ATX 1.0. You'll see the power cable is simply missing the -5v wire, that's normally WHITE.

hookan91, what kind of cards do you use with those motherboards? All PCI? Some ISA?

I'm using a really recent ATX psu in my retro computer, but had to buy an ATX -> AT adapter because the psu itself didn't supply -5v to the motherboard.
That did cause some issues with some ISA cards that make use of that voltage­, for example the Sound Blaster 2.0 and the LAPC-I, making them either not work or output garbage.

I have these cards installed on both the VA-503+ and SY-5EHM:

AGP - S3 Trio 3D/2X
PCI - Diamond Monster 3D II
PCI - NIC 10/100
ISA - Labway LWHA151A00 (Yamaha YMF719E-S chip)

Reply 10 of 13, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the pins on the Labway ISA sound card to see if it uses the -5v or not.
the -5v connector is located underneath (the side without chips) of the card, 5th position from the start.

according to this image (http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5014/157862395 … 2443d1f9_XL.jpg)I found of the Labway LWHA151A00, it should not use the -5v.

Attachments

• ISA_Bus_pins copy.jpg
    Filename
    ISA_Bus_pins copy.jpg
    File size
    258.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 11 of 13, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hookan91 wrote:

A AT PSU isn't out of the question, i found several on auction sites here. But the converter in the OP is around $5 to ship to Brazil. $12 for the converter is cheaper than a used AT PSU.

Then go with new ATX psu and adapter that produces -5 for your ISA slots
EDIT: If you have ISA slots then you must deliver -5 to slots in case of changing cards

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 12 of 13, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply.

Beegle wrote:
Check the pins on the Labway ISA sound card to see if it uses the -5v or not. the -5v connector is located underneath (the side […]
Show full quote

Check the pins on the Labway ISA sound card to see if it uses the -5v or not.
the -5v connector is located underneath (the side without chips) of the card, 5th position from the start.

according to this image (http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5014/157862395 … 2443d1f9_XL.jpg)I found of the Labway LWHA151A00, it should not use the -5v.

Thanks for the information. I grabbed my Labway and confirmed that it doesn't have the -5v connector.

Godlike wrote:
hookan91 wrote:

<br abp="616">Then go with new ATX psu and adapter that produces -5 for your ISA slots<br abp="617">EDIT: If you have ISA slots then you must deliver -5 to slots in case of changing cards

I bought the adapter 2 days ago from Amazon. It "should" be here in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Reply 13 of 13, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soundcards requiring -5v to operate are really scarce. So far only SB 2.0, Roland LAPC-I and some species of Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum 16 are confirmed to do so.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city