Hello! And Help for a SS7 system

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Radeons from that time also tend to outperform the FX/GF6 cards when you crank up the resolution and use high levels of AA/AF. The x800XT and x850XT were well known for beating up on the GF 6800 cards with game settings on maximum although the gap wasn't quite as pronounced as with the previous generation. R300 squashed the FX series so badly it wasn't even a contest.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure what kind of 3D performance this system really needs though - with a K6 I don't think it'll be running any of the games where the R300 vs FX comes into the equation; both of them will be silly fast in old games like Quake, Doom, Unreal, etc. Sure, the R300 is a lot better for Half-Life 2, but I wouldn't expect Half-Life 2 to run nice on the K6. AFAIK the X800 series is entirely off the table here, since I'm not aware of any of them being 3.3V compatible. 😢

Reply 21 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a balanced system and to play old games, I use a Radeon 9250 256mbyte (128bit).
R300 is not so stable on Ali chipset.

Now I only want to check if a 6800gt would work.
I found on ebay a v9999, if I win the auction I will happily CUT it.

Still I am a bit skeptical about reliable 3D performance on AGP 3.3V paired with a 7600gs.

Reply 23 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9250 is NOT an R300 card and Yes, 7600gs is bridged, I say it before, that's why I'm skeptical about its functionality on AGP 3.3v.
I miss the point of your advice.

Reply 24 of 29, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote:

9250 is NOT an R300 card

Hrm, learn something new every-day. Had always read it was just a further cut-down 9550, and the 9000/9200 were the last DX8-only parts.

Yes, 7600gs is bridged, I say it before, that's why I'm skeptical about its functionality on AGP 3.3v.
I miss the point of your advice.

You've determined bridged cards not to work, so why keep trying others? They all use the same bridge, so what you makes you think one will work where others have failed?

Prior to the correction on the 9250 I was also thinking - "well, there's an example of R300 working, so it must be a dud on the 9800SE you tried" - R300s have a nasty habit of dying unpredictably, so a bad experience with one is unfortunately not conclusive.

Reply 25 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

9250 is an R300 card, and 7600GS is bridged.

9250 was RV280. The 9550 was an underclocked 9600, most likely made from binned parts that wouldn't run at full 9600 speed. Both were RV350.

Reply 26 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Obobskivic, maybe we are saying the same thing.
Is not me that want to put a 7600gs in a AGP 3.3v slot. I know it is impossible.
BUT, someone here says that it can be done and he will bring proof.
I'm only curious about that.
For me, I've bought a V9999 on Ebay, next week it will be in my hand.

Reply 27 of 29, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Look dude, if you don't believe me, I don't particularly care. I did these tests over a year ago. I don't recall saying I'll bring "proof" to you - I have better things to do. If I get time, I'll setup the 440BX system again with these cards, but don't turn this thread into me 'proving' to you that it's possible.

Reply 28 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry jaws, my english is poor and maybe I used the wrong words.
I am really curious about your 7600gs.
If you have time I will be really happy to see your rig work.

Last edited by Mamba on 2020-12-28, 20:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 29, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know about ALI, but the VIA MVP3's AGP is troublesome. Certainly not as good as the Intel 440BX. Stuff that works on the BX might still give lots of trouble on a VIA.
I had artifacting in 3DMark01 with a 7600GS on a VIA 694X chipset (Universal AGP slot). It might have been the same thing j^aws saw happen with that card on his BX, I don't know. But I could only expect the early AGP super-7 chipsets to be worse, even if the voltage isn't a problem.