VOGONS

SSHD for retro systems?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could use a CF card. 🤣 While it's not really a proper SSD it works just as good as a real HHD. How big of a drive are we talking anyhow? Wouldn't the motherboard have issues with modern SSD drives?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 21 of 22, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

To idspispopd and others running SSDs under XP: what are you doing to get around the lack of TRIM support?

I don't personally use that combo, but a customer told me that he upgraded a 2003 server with an SSD and used a separate tool like the ones mentioned.

Reply 22 of 22, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

You could use a CF card. 🤣 While it's not really a proper SSD it works just as good as a real HHD. How big of a drive are we talking anyhow? Wouldn't the motherboard have issues with modern SSD drives?

PCI Sata Adapter.
Sil 3112\3114\3512 have no issues with sata III devices.
Most other sata I adapters will hang when negotiating speed back down to Sata I speeds with newer sata III devices.
These adapters were kept updated by sil till 2008 Bios+9x drivers and all of them can be flashed to the reference bios provided by them.
If your not interested in 9x tho you can use a PCI Sata II adapter.

CF cards work, some motherboards can be extremely stubborn about letting you enable DMA on them tho, then there is the price.
A good high quality CF card costs more then a SSD of the same size (transcend industrial series for example), 2x+.