VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I wouldn't go for any NV hardware that's older than G80 because that older hardware has quite inferior texture filtering and anti-aliasing quality. ATI's R5xx hardware is better too. R400 is as well but might not be fast enough for ya.

I'm affraid this statement is wrong.
G80 (included) and later Nvidia videocards offers the best AF quality as well as TRAA and for old games SGSSAA.
Sparse-grid supersampling must be enabled via Nvidia inspector utility, it is not available in the driver control panel. The performance hit is massive, but the image quality is the best you can get. For example GTA III is looking amazing with 16x HQAF + 8x SGSSAA.

ATi R5xx - R7xx AF looks very good as well, but G80+ is still better. With R800 and up however AF quality has decreased (especially the Radeon HD5000 series) compared to the GeForce counterparts. TRAA on Radeon HD series often doesn't work at all and supersampling is problematic as well.

GeForce 6/7 AF implementation is very poor - I recommend to stay away from those if you want decent image quality. Radeon X800/850 is not much better...

Here is a link to an article comparing anisotropic filtering quality on all VGAs since GeForce 3 / Radeon 8500 till current hardware. https://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&t … 4785&edit-text= Google translator is far from perfect, but i bet not many people here speak Czech. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 22 of 25, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Adaptive AA is official for X8x0 series cards. No hacking required. ATI backported it at some point.

Do you know specifically when? (I have an X800 and would like to try it without a registry hack if possible 🤣 )

xS modes are interesting. 4xS is probably the sweet spot. 8xS is pretty slow on anything prior to GF 8800. Quincunx 2X has a similar effect but is much faster than any xS or 4X mode. I really like 1600x1200+ with 2x Quincunx and I feel like a broken record on this.... heh.

My FX 5800 Ultra has had no trouble running 8xS on older DX7/8 titles at least, fwiw. 😀

Reply 23 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

Do you know specifically when? (I have an X800 and would like to try it without a registry hack if possible 🤣 )

Did some digging and Catalyst 6.5 began support for AAA on Radeon 9500 onward.

Reply 25 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Please read again the quote. He specifically pointed out anything older than G80, not newer 😊 .

Ah, sorry - I was reading wrong. 😊 Everything is ok then.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware