VOGONS

First post, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I have the option to choose between these 2 cards on topic, wich one is the best to go?
I already have an awe32 (ct3980) with xr385 (on the way).
I see so many coments about gus pnp compatibility issues and gus classic being great. But also that gus pnp is much better in hardware.
Were those issues on PNP gus solved meanwhile? Like lag in trackers, etc.
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This makes the difference for me: "But also that gus pnp is much better in hardware."
But then I never messed with a GF1...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marmes wrote:

But also that gus pnp is much better in hardware.

In what way?
The InterWave chip has more features, and in native mode it can get better mixing quality, as it does 44.1 KHz regardless of the number of channels used.
However, 99% of the time you're using it in GF1-mode, where you don't get the better mixing quality, and can't use the extra features.
And it is not 100% compatible, so you may see some issues with certain software.
I don't hear a difference in sound quality between my GUS P&P Pro running GF1-software and my real GF1-cards.

Marmes wrote:

Were those issues on PNP gus solved meanwhile? Like lag in trackers, etc.

The problems are inherent in the chip's design. Afaik there was never an update to the InterWave design, so they're all the same.
Since this is in the DOS age, there are no drivers between card and software either, so the only way to fix issues is to update the tracker software itself. Afaik most trackers were never updated for InterWave support. So if they have issues, they have issues.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread should solve virtually all your classic GUS games on a GUS PNP issues : GUS PnP works with some games, but not all. Why?

See also here : http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/guspfaq.html

But as far as DOS demos go, I think there are enough compatibility concerns that you should go with the Classic.

I have yet to be persuaded that there is a substantial advantage to running a GUS or GUS PNP in Windows, outside its native software, compared to a Creative AWE32/64 or Live! card.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 9, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found out that this gus is just a cult sound card, audio from demos and games are cool, but sometimes it can get crappy. For the money these are being charged, it's much better get a roland /xg board and a nice sb compatible card with no hanging notes feature. Gus pnp has no real software support from those guys that made the old trackers as user Scali said. But hey, as long as I have fun with it , for me it's fine.
Now it's time for some fun 😀