VOGONS

First post, by kuparikettu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while ago I was able to finally get my system work rather fine with all different sound cards -- Yamaha Audician, AWE64 Gold...
However, I didn't like the integrated Cirrus Logic since for some reason it didn't work that well. So I went ahead and bought a PCI S3 Trio64V+.

All nice and good except... I have been now expeciencing some random freezes which seem to appear especially when playing games with SVGA support:
Magic Carpet, Z, Settlers 2, Duke Nukem 3D. My system just locks up, sooner or later.

I guess I'll try to rule out other possible causes by removing the graphics card, but before I do that, have you experienced problems like this?

Reply 1 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried memtest86 on that machine, or any other types of stability tests?

My old 486 used to lock up in SVGA very easily. It was basically unusable.
It would also lock up in 320x200 VGA, but less easily. If only a portion of the screen was animated, like looking through the windshield of a car racing game, it was pretty stable. As soon as I'd switch to an external view, animating the whole screen, it would soon lock up.
If I had QEMM running at the time, it would give an error message. The late DOS games that used DOS/4GW would also give an error message when they crashed.
This problem was only resolved when we upgraded to a new motherboard. Our 486 board was unstable, and the intensity of graphical activity definitely corresponded to how crash prone it was. I believe that the volume of data traffic was influencing it's stability.

Reply 2 of 4, by kuparikettu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I removed Trio64V+ and with the integrated Cirrus Logic everything works just fine, including SVGA. No freezing. With Trio I didn't have any refresh rate problems, everything looked really good and Windows 3.11 support was better but I guess I'll have to settle to the integrated one. I do wonder though what was the cause.

Reply 4 of 4, by buyerninety

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if you had Windows 98 you could look in Device Manager to see the
Resources that each Audio setup uses (when each audio device is setup
with the other audio device out of the system). Maybe the Trio64V+ can
be set to use alternate settings, same as what Cirrus Logic uses, instead.