VOGONS

First post, by Limpem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right board.
Currently I am working on a second socket 7 retro dos 6.22 gaming build.
The core system is an Olivetti M4 P75S.
I upgraded it with a pentium 200 Mhz, 64mb ram, Voodoo 3 2000 pci, 3com isa network card and a Creative AWE64 Gold CT4390.

Everything is working great, except for the midi music in games.
Every game I play I hear a plopping sound instead of a bass-drum.
I figured the AWE64 might be broken, so I tried it in another system: No sound problems at all.
I tried another AWE64 in the same system (which I know has no issues) and the sound problem still persisted.

So the card isn't the issue.
In windows 98 the problem is there as well, so I don't think it is a driver issue (I did reinstall the dos drivers to reset everything back to defaults nevertheless).

Removing all other system devices like network card, and voodoo didn't solve the problem. Neither did changing the dma channels.
Next thing I tried was an IBM MWave card to see if this card would have the same issue... It does!

My conclusion was that it is an issue with the motherboard (perhaps bad caps although they look fine).
When I use a pci sound card there is no issue at all, but since the MB lacks a sb-link connector and it's main use will be dos-gaming this isn't a good alternative.

However, the strange thing is:
If I select the Adlib as a midi playback device in game setups (like warcraft 2 for example) there is no plopping sound at all!
If I select the Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 the problem is barely audible (but still slightly there).
If I select General Midi I only hear the plopping drums and no other music (on my other socket 7 system there is no sound output at all if I select this mode).

This makes me wonder if the problem might be solvable by using a different soundcard instead of replacing the motherboard, system case and power supply.
Does anyone out here have an idea what is causing this issue, and if I might be able to solve it by using a different isa soundcard (like a YMF719 based card for example).

Unfortunately I have no room to add another card to the system, so a different sound card will have to replace the AWE64 Gold.

Thanks in advance! 😁

430HX/P1 233MMX/64MB/S3VirgeDX,Voodoo1SLI(King Shaman)/AWE32
440BX/CelTualatin1400/512MB/Banshee, PowerVR PCX2/AWE64Gold
645DX/P4Northwood 3,5Ghz(Oc)/512MB/Voodoo5500/Vortex2
875P/P4EE 3,4Ghz/1GB/GeforceFX5950/Audigy2ZS
Z97/i3-4370/16GB/GeforceGTX960/X-Fi

Reply 1 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a resource conflict. Try removing any unnecessary hardware and see if the problem persists.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 6, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had some games where the midi sound went all bad, in my case it was because the MHz of the Pentium was too fast.
at 200MHz there was bad hanging notes, at 166MHz the problem was still there, then around at the 150MHz and 133MHz area, all was well. My friends computer back in the time of 1996 had the exact same problem. We temporary disabled the internal CPU cache to get the old games OK. Slightly newer games then ran too slow! 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by Limpem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies!
I already tried the system without all other add-on cards.
But tomorrow I will also remove the cd-rom and other drives and disable all unused ports on the MB to see if it makes a difference.

If that still fails I will try to lower the multiplier and see if it will change anything (though I had trouble with every game I tried with midi playback).

Thanks for your troubles and I will post my results as soon as possible. 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Limpem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Removing all hardware didn't solve the problem.
Lowering the multiplier so my cpu ran at 100 mhz didn't solve it as well.
I also tried lowering the FSB to 50 mhz instead of 66 mhz, but this didn't work as well.

Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Test the power supply, sound cards are often one of the few devices making use of the -12V and -5V rails, if the amp is not being powered right it can produce funny results.

I had an AWE64 (Regular) that did this in a P2-266 circa 2006, I never figured out what was causing it in that though as I swapped it with another AWE64 which worked (I assumed the card was broken as it had worked for a while, despite being rusty) but later tried the original card having decided I wanted to fix it only to find the problem was gone. That card worked fine until a few weeks back when a capacitor gave up and the system could no longer detect it.

However, I do recall the Pentium II I was running having a very weak PSU. I also seem to think I may have changed slot when I put the new card in and that workspace was dirty, so it could have been just a bad connection, maybe try another slot too then.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 6, by Limpem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to try HighTreason's suggestion. Problem is, the system uses an AT PSU (SA131-3400). The power button goes directly in the PSU, so not to the MB.
I have a different AT PSU bit it appears that it doesn't have a direct power-on button like the current psu...
Therefore I am currently unable to test this solution. 🙁