VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ran across this today while hunting around and what a sad sight it is let alone the bids given the condition. I have restored parts that are in that sort of condition myself but I tell you it is hardly worth it if the pins are eaten out from corrosion. Worse still if the traces in the pcb are beyond repair let alone any dead ICs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFX-Quantum-3D-Obsid … =item27fa8a1a14

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 5, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a sad sight ... it's vintage.

On a serious note ... looks like it's rust on some of the pins, even if the PCB might still be good, I doubt the card could be saved without major efforts (some pins on the QFP chips seem to be broken ... gotta be fun dremeling up those packages and attaching solderwire to the bonding).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2 of 5, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't look like rust to me, as it's even covering the IC's... not to mention the metal parts of the PCB are usually made mostly of Tin and Lead which don't "rust", per se. Brackets and connectors/jacks usually can rust because they usually use some ferrous (i.e. iron-based) alloys used.

Nah... to me that looks like someone spilled something sticky on the card and gummed it all up, like a Coke or something. I've also seen some cards like that come out of chain-smoking households where tar was literally caked on the cards. From the webs near the bracket, it could even be insect/spider droppings.

All the same, it looks nasty, and if that funk has any chance of being even mildly conductive, I wouldn't even attempt powering it up as it. That seller has an uphill battle.

Reply 3 of 5, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By color of dust looks to me like standart smoker card. Seen many similar (new, not obsidian) cards badly smelling. Maybe still workin, but price isnt nice - bidding is gamble.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 4 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-10-27, 19:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 5, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it came from a smokers computer. A lot of hot water, dish soap with oxy, and a fine brush will remove it all. Dry it for a few days and its good as new.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software