VOGONS

Show us your retro computer cases

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Call me superficial, but one of the things I like most about my retro PC's is their dated beige exteriors. Poor to no air flow, turbo buttons, MHz displays, shiny case badges, dangerously high voltages running through the case to the power button - it's all part of the fun. Finding decent cases is getting hard - they're collectible in their own right I think - so show us yours. It could be one you owned back in the day, or one you're looking for now - whatever.

Here are mine:

DSCN1179_zpsa8ebe7c6.jpg

IMG_5121_zps134306a4.jpg

IMG_4891_zpsfad61838.jpg

IMG_4862_zps7a36c8e6.jpg

IMG_4261_zps83287795.jpg

IMG_5036_zps2de53ed0.jpg

IMG_3249_zpscaa2592b.jpg

IMG_4465_zps3ccacd4d.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 213, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, some of those look like new! I might buy some that retr0bright stuff that the internet talks about and try to de-yellow some of my computer cases (and probably some keyboards and cd drives).

Sorry to go offtopic, unfourtanely i don't have any nice oldschool computer case, or at least not so cool as yours.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 5 of 213, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

Is retrobright available retail or over the internet? All I've ever seen are recipes for DIY.

I think there are (were?) some sellers on eBay selling it, but retrobright is supposed to be just the recipe and not the product. You're supposed to DIY.

Reply 7 of 213, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have 1 spare case its not retro but something happened to it that makes it totally unusable.
The original owner put a sticker on it that says "OMGWTFBFGSAUCE"

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 213, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

I only have 1 spare case its not retro but something happened to it that makes it totally unusable.
The original owner put a sticker on it that says "OMGWTFBFGSAUCE"

Pics plz 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 213, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Call me superficial, but one of the things I like most about my retro PC's is their dated beige exteriors. Poor to no air flow, turbo buttons, MHz displays, shiny case badges, dangerously high voltages running through the case to the power button - it's all part of the fun. Finding decent cases is getting hard - they're collectible in their own right I think - so show us yours. It could be one you owned back in the day, or one you're looking for now - whatever.

Are they not jealous for each other?
PS: Where did you get that 5.25 ivory drive bay for FDD?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 11 of 213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:

Are they not jealous for each other?
PS: Where did you get that 5.25 ivory drive bay for FDD?

No, I love them all equally 😀

You mean the 3.5 --> 5.25 bay converter? They're pretty common on eBay.

Reply 12 of 213, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes 3.5 to 5.25, just looking for solid one, not all of them are same

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 13 of 213, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice line up people.
I'm more into older OEM slimline systems these days. More for their quirks than anything else. I've got a few AT towers and desktop cases out in the shed though.

backpack.JPG
Filename
backpack.JPG
File size
56.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 213, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/rjheard/DSCN1179_zpsa8ebe7c6.jpg […]
Show full quote

DSCN1179_zpsa8ebe7c6.jpg

IMG_4465_zps3ccacd4d.jpg

I'm in love with these desktop cases!! I definitely have to find one for my XT computer build. And one similar to the bottom one would be perfect!! 😁
BTW, where's the power button on that one?

Reply 15 of 213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

I'm in love with these desktop cases!! I definitely have to find one for my XT computer build. And one similar to the bottom one would be perfect!! 😁
BTW, where's the power button on that one?

Yes I'm a big fan of the flip top - hard to find in nice condition because of their age.

The power switch is on the right side, close to the rear. It's a rocker switch and actually part of the PSU - the case has a hole in it to let it through.

Reply 17 of 213, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sticker is so ridicules! You could build build a Doom3 themed pc out of that case, there is a Doom 3 BFG edition version of the Nvidia 6000 series cards that would go good with it 😁

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 213, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

I'm more into older OEM slimline systems these days.

I see a Compaq Presario 52x CDS there 😀 That was my first ever PC which I got in Christmas 1994. Unfortunately it had several problems and was thrown away several years ago (nowadays I would never do that), but I kept its CPU which is currently chugging along on my 486 PC build.

Reply 19 of 213, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😲
Everything is so clean and perfect. I am envious!

badmojo wrote:
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/rjheard/IMG_4862_zps7a36c8e6.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_4862_zps7a36c8e6.jpg

I used to have a case similar to that one back when I ran an AMD 486 DX4 120. I was foolish and gave it away to a friend. It's probably the only case and system that I really miss.
Aside from its good looks, I remember the inside being very sharp. I gave quite a few blood offerings to the PC gods when I worked on that machine.

Nowadays, aside from my P200 MMX system, my cases are all semi-modern units that don't look very "retro". I built them with a function-over-form mentality. Even the P200 case is not original. The original case was ugly and had a cracked power switch, so I got the current one from a seller on eBay about six years ago.

TyanS1563SFront_zps0b33800f.jpg