VOGONS

First post, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to use a 486 machine that contained:

UM8810PAIO Mainboard, (Rev. 2.0 marked on the board but Rev. 2.1 at post-message)
i80486DX2-66
ATI 3D Charger Video (Rage II+ DVD), PCI
SoundBlaster AWE32, CT2760 (CT3980 for testing)
64 MB of FPM RAM
WD Caviar 21600, 1.6 GB HDD (Seagate ST31276A - R.I.P.)
3.5" Floppy
CD-ROM Drive
Sony SDM-S74 Display
MS DOS 6.22
WINfW 3.11

As i wrote in another thread in this forum just a couple of days ago my formerly used hard drive in this system (Seagate ST31276A) died. Now i had to reinstall a fresh system.

I did it as i did it several times before and could get windows running. But when I installed the drivers for the AWE32 (from vogons) i got trouble and windows crashed at that moment, I tried to run any application. But that's not all of it: Damn, i thougt, something might be wrong with the driver, format the hdd an try another run. Now i installed the driver for the ATI Card first and then wanted to install the AWE32. The wonders won't get smaller: After installing the driver for the video card windows started normally, but if i tried to touch anything the system catapulted me to dos without any message.
My third attempt to get back a stable running system started again with a 'format c:'. But here it's getting really weird, because i was not able to install windows anymore - it freezes the system during the install-process and won't even start the windows setup.

Am i doing something wrong to get the system running again or was the death of the harddrive only the first bad sign of a dying computer?

I would be pleased for any advice or help!

errare humanum est

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you run a scandisk do you get any errors?
As your starting fresh from a new hard drive I would fdisk it and start with a nice freshly partitioned hard drive. Personally I prefer using a Win98 bootdisk and running fdisk from the PC it will actually be used in but this is just me and shouldn't make a difference really.

Reply 2 of 9, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply!

I already did one scandisk-run with good results, but no fdsik. I don't know how a new partition can help, but i have nothing to loose (and maybe i get a 'heureka'?). Using a Win98 Bootdisk is a good idea....
When the old seagate was alive the system ran stable, so maybe i should focus at the 'new' WD Caviar.

Edit:
I do not understand, why i could install dos and windows firstly (but with serious problems) and after the second trial it did not work any longer - neither being installed from floppy nor from cd.

Someone had a similar problem?

errare humanum est

Reply 3 of 9, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have faulty ram it might give you random errors like the ones you have been experiencing. Try testing each of your memory modules with memtest to make sure they're ok.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 9, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although this is like a diary entry:

I wasn't lucky. The computer now only displays the bios-post after starting and then it hangs....

@MMaximus: I did a full cycle of testing all ram-sticks i could find. I tried to stick them in in all possible configurations and all different slots. No change at all.

What i did additional to the ram test:

- put all add-in cards (except the VGA) out
- cleard the CMOS-Data
- tried other processors (DX/DX2)
- replaced the drives (FDD/HDD) and the cables
- measured voltages from the power supply
- did a visual control of the mainboard

I surrender.
Think the machine is gone - i have no idea left and either the mainboard is the reason or every VGA/Soundcard/RAM/HDD/FDD i own is faulty.

This was my last 486 Board without any damage and nothing to fix before it can be used.. 😠

errare humanum est

Reply 5 of 9, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last time I had trouble installing Windows on a 486 was probably some 20 years ago. It would freeze randomly during installation. The hard drive was faulty.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 9, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you ever get DOS 6.22 to boot up from the hdd?

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 7 of 9, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Billyray520 wrote:

Did you ever get DOS 6.22 to boot up from the hdd?

Yes. The system was absolutely troublefree when suddenly the hard drive died (some weeks/months ago). I replaced it with another drive and could get DOS 6.22 running. The problems began with installing windows 3.11 and some drivers for VGA/Sound.
Firstly i could install windows 3.11 (vanilla) on DOS 6.22.
Trying to install a driver for the AWE32 (re-)produced some crashes.
Trying to install a driver for the VGA did the same.
Trying to install windows 3.11 on a freshly formatted drive after that was no longer possible (i do not understand that).
This was when i opened this thread.....

Step by step the machine was going down since then and ended up at only bios-posting now (it counts the RAM and stops soon after).

See for yourself and feel free to comment 😵
IMG_7458.jpg

errare humanum est

Reply 8 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the IDE controller is the culprit here (maybe the broken HDD took it down with it)? Try disabling every single onboard device but the floppy controller and boot a DOS 6.22 floppy.

Reply 9 of 9, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Perhaps the IDE controller is the culprit here (maybe the broken HDD took it down with it)? Try disabling every single onboard device but the floppy controller and boot a DOS 6.22 floppy.

Thank you - it probably would be a hot try....
There is another problem too that appeared that moment (waaahhhhh...): The keyboard doesn't work anymore (i used an old DIN - type and checked it with a new PS/2 one and an adapter).

I cannot believe this.... it's that crazy and woeful that it is making me (ughh)....

Edit: Thread can be closed.... thanks a lot for any input

errare humanum est