VOGONS

First post, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I'm building a P3 1G (eventually Tualatin when it arrives) 440BX (Aopen AX6BC) nostaliga box.

I'm having issues installing drivers for the SIL3114 based SATA card. My MB recognises it, W98 installed fine on a 160G HD running on it, and it boots and runs Windows fine too. Now I'm trying to get its drivers installed which is proving to be very difficult. All the readme's included with the five or so versions of the W98 drivers I've downloaded refer to inserting the driver diskette in to A:\ and selecting this as the driver location from the device properties.

Copying the various .sys, .inf, .vxd etc files to a floppy and clicking 'specify a location for the driver' results in Windows not being able to find a suitable driver in that location. Same when just pointing it to a HD directory containing the files.

These are the files:
si3114.cat
SI3114.inf
Si3114.mpd
Si3114.sys
SiiSupp.vxd
SilSupp.cpl
SiWinAcc.sys
TxtSetup.oem

Anyone know what the deal is? In fact I'd love to get some general info on why things like this issue happen in Win98 - including why midway through installing a driver you get the "please insert disk labelled Windows 98" message followed by the inevitable error because the Win98 CD is clearly not where the drivers you're trying to install are located.

Any info is greatly appreciated - I'd really like to start doing some sweet 1.5gb/s transfers (lol right).

Cheers!

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-07-03, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 1 of 21, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did all those files just come in the same directory, or are they organized into some kind of folder structure? Usually drivers have the files organized into some subdirectories. All I can think of is that maybe the folder structure isn't correct.

I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas. I've never installed SATA drivers on Win98, in fact I haven't used Win98 in years. Many people here use it regularly though, so hopefully somebody knows more.

As far as the Windows 98 disk message - I vaguely remember that it was possible to copy the entire contents of the Win98 CD into a directory on your hard drive, and then set a value in the registry so that it will pull files from that location. That way, you don't get those prompts anymore. I don't know what the registry key for that is though.

Reply 2 of 21, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Copy the entire win 98 directory from the install cd
open regedit
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \CurrentVersion \ Setup
find the SourcePath key
change its value to the path of the directory you copied from the cd

on my 1.4 tuli its D:\WIN98

Reply 3 of 21, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW hello to all Vogons! I'm a newly ex-lurker. Wonderful resource this place is.

Thank you both for your input. AppleIIguy, your registry edit did exactly the trick Shamino suggested. Shamino, I will investigate the folder structure idea but I'm not sure that's the issue. Windows won't allow me to click OK to select a folder to search for drivers unless I'm already in one which contains driver-type files.

Something else I'm considering is that perhaps the card's BIOS is flashed for RAID mode, and I've been trying to install IDE mode drivers. Will check this out tonight.

Otherwise if anyone has (or can create) an ISO of an official driver CD for a sil3114 based card I'd love a copy of it (unless this contravenes Vogons sharing rules/copyright?)

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 4 of 21, by buyerninety

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like your 98 OS currently is on the C:\ drive hanging off the PCI
SATA 3114 card? You didn't say what driver you see in Control Panel/
Hardware/Device Manager/ (whatever IDE controller) that the 3114 is using.
We don't know what the INF says inside it - but it should have a $Chicago$
in there and conform to requirements for 98 INF files (like discussed here;
http://www.wd-3.com/archive/inffiles.htm
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153296-driver … issues-for-w9x/
and in more detail than you need to know here;
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149231-trying … win-98-install/
).
If none of that helps you, I guess you could try upgrading the driver -
although if 98 won't complete its boot with the new driver (the .mpd
mini port driver) be prepared to go into Safe Mode, to go back to the
old driver (course, you noted its directory path).
http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/180902

(Oh yeah, general comment too, make sure that the C:\Windows\INF
folder has its Properties unticked so it is not Hidden - this has tripped
me up for a few minutes every 5 years or so, when I couldn't find the
INF folder in the (Windows 3.1-like file explorer) setup menus
directory tree... 😵 ).

Last edited by buyerninety on 2015-04-17, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 21, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! I reflashed the card's bios to IDE mode and the driver worked. I was installing the IDE driver, not the raid one. Buyerninety, I confirmed driver validity with your tip of looking for $chicago$, and this allowed me to eliminate a couple of driver versions which were called W98 but actually turned out to be for NT, so thanks for that.

I'm getting quite low speeds though on my 2.5" 160g Seagate Momentus, usually 3-4MB/s and with multiple long pauses during transfers so I'm experimenting with different PCI slots for the card. Fingers crossed for solid 25MB/s!

Reply 6 of 21, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BX300A wrote:

I'm getting quite low speeds though on my 2.5" 160g Seagate Momentus, usually 3-4MB/s and with multiple long pauses during transfers so I'm experimenting with different PCI slots for the card. Fingers crossed for solid 25MB/s!

Sounds like it might be in PIO mode instead of using DMA.
I don't remember for sure how it is on 98, but I think there's a setting for this in the device manager. Check the properties for the disk controller device, the drive itself, and the drive channels (if such a thing is listed for SATA). Somewhere in there is hopefully an option to enable DMA versus PIO mode.
I know that option is there for traditional IDE channels, but I'm not sure if it would be listed for SATA drives which are operating in IDE mode.

Reply 7 of 21, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't changed the PIO/DMA modes yet, but I did try different PCI slots.

ATTO now says 70MB/s (!) on sequential transfers. If this is accurate I'm very pleased. Especially once I put in an SSD for the quick access times.

70 Meg a second is 3x my expectation and honestly I don't think it's accurate but I don't have a way to test max drive bandwidth apart from with synthetic benchmarks (unless I figure out/set up a RAM disk in W98)

Anyone think this is a reporting error? Or realistic? 440BX, P3 1G, 160g 2.5" Seagate momentus.

Reply 9 of 21, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems somewhat optimistic for that drive however.

Yeah. Further investigation needed. Strangely the slow little 160g 2.5" drive is the only sata hdd I have that works in this config, and only 30g of it is recognised. 250gb, 500gb and 1tb drives are a no-go.

Tomorrow will be a day of many restarts.

Reply 11 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried setting the 1.5GB/s mode jumper (or firmware utilities) on those HDDs? Maybe the newer/faster ones aren't auto-negotiating correctly. Also, you'll need LBA 48-bit patches to avoid data corruption (unless you restrict Windows 98 to a FAT32 partition below the 128GB mark and use the rest as a NTFS partition and dual-boot W2K/XP).

Reply 12 of 21, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can anyone point me at the relevant LBA 48bit patch files?
id liek to try this out on my Asus P5PE-VM
this motherboard has onboard sata but i dont think the sata ports will work with win98se
so im looking to find a card that will allow me to boot + give proper sata performance under win98se

this seems to be a real grey area im googling and not finding much info other then a few msfn + vogons links!!
someone needs to write a bulletproof guide!! 😀

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 13 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BX300A, could you please attach the BIOS and driver that you used to one of your messages?

Thank you.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 21, by Zee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote on 2015-05-22, 12:14:

BX300A, could you please attach the BIOS and driver that you used to one of your messages?

Thank you.

I realize I'm half a decade late to this thread, but windows 98 is more than two decades old, yet we still talk about it.
I got it working and thought I should share the files and exact steps here.
Maybe it helps you or whoever else is looking for this.

My model is from Delock, so I downloaded the bios and bios updater tool from here : https://www.delock.de/produkt/70154/merkmale.html
The bios file I used is b5403.bin because that is the one that doesn't contain RAID instructions
I copied the bios file and UPDFLASH.EXE to the windows 98 machine, opened msdos and traveled to the directory where the exe is
The command I used is

updflash b5403.bin -a -d -v -ID3114 -r script.txt log.txt -u

Press enter a few times when it asks, and after a bit the bios should be updated
Restart windows 98 and it'll ask for new drivers on start, just install the one that works out of the bunch that exist online, for me it was I think the one on delock site, it auto installed since I had previously tried a bunch of them 😁
At that point device manager should see the hard drives connected to the card, and the applet that it installs in control panel should also be working now

I'm running tests now, I see it has DMA. Might come back to post results if people ask

Reply 15 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zee wrote on 2021-02-22, 23:39:

I realize I'm half a decade late to this thread, but windows 98 is more than two decades old, yet we still talk about it.
I got it working and thought I should share the files and exact steps here.
Maybe it helps you or whoever else is looking for this.

In case you want to get Phil specifically, PhilsComputerLab is gone from VOGONS for a while now. Better to hit him up elsewhere (https://www.google.com/search?q=PhilsComputerLab) or something.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 17 of 21, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He still reads the forum, How else would he know how to install Audigy drivers on live. 🤣
original
Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Sound Blaster Live! cards (version 3.1)
Phils video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x6T_OWT0WU

Reply 18 of 21, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zee wrote on 2021-02-23, 03:00:

Nah it's fine, I posted it for anyone who reads.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
I really appreciate you taking the time and posting those links and your procedures.
Just last week I purchased one online and couldn't get it to work under Win98 with the Non-Raid drivers yet, playing around successfully installed the RAID driver.
Now I see the light.
Again, thanks for your post!
Carlos
Ontario, Canada

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 19 of 21, by SmokeMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zee wrote on 2021-02-22, 23:39:
My model is from Delock, so I downloaded the bios and bios updater tool from here : https://www.delock.de/produkt/70154/merkmale […]
Show full quote

My model is from Delock, so I downloaded the bios and bios updater tool from here : https://www.delock.de/produkt/70154/merkmale.html
The bios file I used is b5403.bin because that is the one that doesn't contain RAID instructions
I copied the bios file and UPDFLASH.EXE to the windows 98 machine, opened msdos and traveled to the directory where the exe is
The command I used is

updflash b5403.bin -a -d -v -ID3114 -r script.txt log.txt -u

Press enter a few times when it asks, and after a bit the bios should be updated

Thank you for these instructions. The BIOS update worked perfectly and my controller is now IDE-only. The Delock drivers that worked for me in Win98 however were the RAID version, after which everything is perfect and the controller program now shows up in Control Panel. This is the generic card I used.

I'm attaching the files, and uploaded them as well: https://archive.org/details/sata-sil3114-windows98

HDD1 ATTO test.png
Filename
HDD1 ATTO test.png
File size
14.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
HDD1 Roadkill test.png
Filename
HDD1 Roadkill test.png
File size