VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I'm debating about building a Socket 5 and a Socket 7 PC. I was wondering if anyone could post a list of what the top ten for each or so best Socket 5 and 7 motherboards are?
I'm trying to build them with proper hardware from their time, thanks guys.

Reply 1 of 7, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Search and ye shall find. You will need to decide whether you are interested in Super 7/AGP or not.

For socket 7 I prefer AT boards, some of my faves

FIC VA-503+
FIC PA-2007
Asus P5A-B
Asus TXP4
QDI Titanum IB+

Other decent brands: Gigabyte, Abit, Shuttle, DFI, Epox

Reply 2 of 7, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My personal favorites are Chaintech, DFI and Legend QDI.

Would you be able to take me seriously if I told you that the PCChips M520 - at least in it's Pine PT-7502 variant; Yeah, the XFX guys - was actually the fastest and among the most stable non-Super socket 7 boards I have used?

I wouldn't touch Gigabyte with a ten-foot pole, nor ASUS though the latter are at least very reliable and if they do what you want I would actually recommend them.

You can actually skip Socket 5 as any processor for that socket works in Socket 7.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 7, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Space Walker (Shuttle) . It was my first board in 1997 and after 7 years of daily use I packed it away - it probably still works ^^
PC Chips..... I had 3 of the M810LMR socket A boards.
And they are all dead now.... (bad caps, etc.) and my pc chips socket 7 board already has a broken onboard graphics chip 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Asus P5A (and -B version) and any board made by TYAN. TYAN make server-grade hardware. You don't get overclocking options, but you get a board that was designed from day one to run for a decade. Here is a list of socket 5/7 tyan boards: http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu_socket_7_8.html

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 7, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
My personal favorites are Chaintech, DFI and Legend QDI. […]
Show full quote

My personal favorites are Chaintech, DFI and Legend QDI.

Would you be able to take me seriously if I told you that the PCChips M520 - at least in it's Pine PT-7502 variant; Yeah, the XFX guys - was actually the fastest and among the most stable non-Super socket 7 boards I have used?

I wouldn't touch Gigabyte with a ten-foot pole, nor ASUS though the latter are at least very reliable and if they do what you want I would actually recommend them.

You can actually skip Socket 5 as any processor for that socket works in Socket 7.

What about for just collecting I was thinking of having one of each socket, so, what best Socket 5 boards would be recommended? thanks.

bjt wrote:
Search and ye shall find. You will need to decide whether you are interested in Super 7/AGP or not. […]
Show full quote

Search and ye shall find. You will need to decide whether you are interested in Super 7/AGP or not.

For socket 7 I prefer AT boards, some of my faves

FIC VA-503+
FIC PA-2007
Asus P5A-B
Asus TXP4
QDI Titanum IB+

Other decent brands: Gigabyte, Abit, Shuttle, DFI, Epox

ah! I have a 503+ somewhere cool. I was thinking of going a Super 7 as well for AGP, what are the best Super 7 boards? thanks.

And anyone know where I can get a good Socket 4 board? i have some of the old Pentium CPUs and I've always wanted to play around with one but I've never seen one in person or owned a Socket 4 board.

Reply 6 of 7, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turboman wrote:

What about for just collecting I was thinking of having one of each socket, so, what best Socket 5 boards would be recommended? thanks.

Asus socket 5 boards i.e. PCI/I-P54SP4 should be pretty decent.

Turboman wrote:

ah! I have a 503+ somewhere cool. I was thinking of going a Super 7 as well for AGP, what are the best Super 7 boards? thanks.

Some of the boards bjt mentioned, including the VA-503+, are Super 7. Pretty much anything based on the VIA MVP3 (yes, 503+ included) or ALI Aladdin 5 (Gigabyte GA-5AA, Asus P5A-B, etc.) chipsets are fair game here.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt