VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so situation:

I have lots of multi-CD games, of the "you have to switch out the disc" persuasion (Riven, Timelapse, and Blade Runner being some I've run across lately).

I've tried simply mounting multiple ISOs using Daemontools, but that doesn't always work. The games seem typically to expect the disc to be in the drive you installed from,and I've run into cases where I couldn't alt-tab out of the program to mount the next image, thus leaving me stuck at the "please insert disc 2" screen with no way to fulfil its request or even to exit the game since that message won't go away until you do what it says.

So it seems like unless I can turn multiple CD-ROM isos into a bigger, DVD iso, then I'm stuck with simply switching discs.

So anyone know a way?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With ScummVM (for Riven) you just copy all the data files off the CD.

As for others typically you copy the data off and modify a configuration file. There used to be a website that had documentation on either copying everything to the HD or onto one ISO. Probably easier to just google the game you are looking for instructions on.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was hoping there'd be a "one size fits all" solution to this, but it seems there isn't.

I found a thing you can do for Riven, but Timelapse is hard to search for because its title keeps getting me hits for time lapse photography, or recording software that has a time lapse option.... rarely do I hit on a game _called_ Timelapse.

I guess for some games I can live with CD swapping.

Reply 3 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on how the game detects "the right CD".

If it is simply looking for a correct datafile - then you can usually just dump all the files from all the disks onto one directory, then create an ISO out of that.

However, if it was implemented in a stupid way (for example - checks a particular info file, which will be present but different on every CD) - then you may be out of luck.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys