VOGONS

Reply 80 of 126, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SpeedFan works great in this case though. It has its own little subroutine for fan scaling which works great. As long as the fans are plugged into a 3 or four pin header, SpeedFan can usually control it.

Which motherboard are you using, by the way?

It's an Asrock G41M-S3. I have never had speedfan work. I think the only machine that it can control the fans on is my P3 based Celeron HP machine (I am not joking)
The Asrock "OC tuner" works to set the CPU fan but not the case fan.

Reply 81 of 126, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

You're doing it again, why are you doing it again? 🤣

P5B is my favourite 775 board, it served me 2006-2014 and now serves my wife. The integrated sound died a few days ago though, but what would you expect from a board working several hours every day for 9 years? I dropped in an SB Live! 5.1 (surprisingly, there are drivers for Windows 7 x64) and it sounds good. It's kind of amazing, a 12-year old soundcard, a 9-year old mobo, an 8-year old CPU with a 7-year old GPU cope very well with any task she throws at them 😀

Sort of unrelated, but how does the SB Live hold up in Win7? 😊

Not worse than the original sound, TBH. The driver/mixer are 3rd party because Creative never made W7, let alone x64, Live! drivers. So it's a little tricky in software, but otherwise great. The card in question is SB0220.

Reply 82 of 126, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

.... so you have to settle for a less shitty one (Still shitty)....

Asus P5Q Premium is shitty? Could you please elaborate on this one a bit more?.. 😲

Hint: My main rig is based on this MB (built in mid 2009), and still works without a single major or minor problem.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 83 of 126, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well got my GA-G41MT-S2P up and running..
Intel Xeon X5460 engineering sample
8 Gb DDR3 1333 Ram
Currently running Linux

It's plenty fast enough for desktop uses. Especially with a 180 GB SSD.

1iyfRYe.jpg

Reply 84 of 126, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appleiiguy wrote:
Well got my GA-G41MT-S2P up and running.. Intel Xeon X5460 engineering sample 8 Gb DDR3 1333 Ram Currently running Linux […]
Show full quote

Well got my GA-G41MT-S2P up and running..
Intel Xeon X5460 engineering sample
8 Gb DDR3 1333 Ram
Currently running Linux

It's plenty fast enough for desktop uses. Especially with a 180 GB SSD.

Did you update the microcode on the board's BIOS?

Just curious, why did you specifically purchase a C0 stepping chip and not an E0? Did you get it at a good price? Also what kind of temps are you getting with it, seeing as how this is a 120W TDP model?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 85 of 126, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have that chip because I work at Intel and I wanted a ES chip. Board didn't need a Microcode update. Booted up just fine but I updated the microcode anyways.
With a Noctua NH-9UB cooler it stays about 35C when running stresslinux live cd

Reply 87 of 126, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

SpeedFan works great in this case though. It has its own little subroutine for fan scaling which works great. As long as the fans are plugged into a 3 or four pin header, SpeedFan can usually control it.

Just a minor nitpick, but a 3 pin fan can't be controlled (via PWM), it can only be monitored. The 3rd pin monitors the rotational speed. The 4 pin fans are the ones that can be controlled via PWM, as that's the function of the extra pin. This is also why you're allowed to put a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin header, because the pin out is the same, it's just that the 3 pin fan wouldn't be PWM capable. Although if you hook up 3 pin fans to a fan controller that can change the voltage going directly to them then you can slow them down or speed them up that way, but that's different.

Reply 88 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My motherboard has 3-Pin headers which can be controller. Whether by dropping their voltage or through use of some waveform I am unsure though. I have only ever seen this on ECS boards such as the PF5 or the strange little KM400 variant used in the Acer Aspire T120.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 89 of 126, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I've usually found that the 4 pin headers are not only PWM-capable, but are usually also wired to be able to control 3-pin fans by monitoring the speed and then dropping the voltage accordingly.

The way I understand it, with PWM, the third pin also monitors the RPM, but the fourth pin sends the information to the logic controller on the fan PCB. With three pin fans, the logic that controls the fan speed is on the motherboard. On my particular Foxconn board, the PWM control in Speedfan has a few second delay, but it's no big deal.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 90 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tested to make sure and strangely, SpeedFan won't control the one 4-Pin header, but it will control two of the many 3-Pin headers. I never use this feature however. It's 100% all the way for me.

KV2 3-Pin headers also work as far as I remember.

Reply 91 of 126, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I just tested to make sure and strangely, SpeedFan won't control the one 4-Pin header, but it will control two of the many 3-Pin headers. I never use this feature however. It's 100% all the way for me.

KV2 3-Pin headers also work as far as I remember.

It has to be configured properly. It would not work for me either, until I did this. I can't remember exactly what I had to do, but I can check for you if you want.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 92 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not really important to me. Like I said, I never use this feature anyway. I only ever tested it because the option was there and I was curious as to what it would do. I prefer to run my fans full speed at all times as the sound is less annoying and it extends the life of the hardware and makes the system more tolerant if a fan fails somewhere - I always over-engineer the cooling system, I even modify laptops to supply their fans with a constant 5V so they run flat out.

Reply 93 of 126, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

... The motherboard can't control the case fan. It's fixed to full speed.
The CPU fan speed can be decreased to tolerable levels but the case fan is still noisey 2400 RPM.

smeezekitty wrote:

... The Asrock "OC tuner" works to set the CPU fan but not the case fan.

When the mobo lacks CHA_FAN control, you can daisy chain all fans with Y-splitters ...

YM33MF-10B-800x600.jpg

... so that both CPU fan and case fans are plugged into the CPU fan header. This way all fans will be controlled in unison from CPU_FAN header.

· If CPU_FAN header is 4-pin PWM, all fans must be 4-pin PWM (3-pin non-PWM fans will run uncontrolled @ 100%).

· If CPU_FAN header is 3-pin voltage-regulated non-PWM, all fans must be 3-pin (4-pin PWM fans will run uncontrolled @ 100%).

CPU fan headers can withstand 2A of current. A typical 120mm case fan draws 0.15A tops:

0009_Arctic_Cooling_F12_big.jpg

Thus CPU_FAN header can feed a dozen fans without problem.

Let the air flow!

Reply 94 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2A? Most of my manuals state between 250ma and 500ma but it seems to vary widely, so be careful.

The fan you posted as an example (Arctic Cooling F12) is actually the model I use. They have rather weird bearings on them. That particular model actually has three connectors. A 4-Pin connector that plugs into the motherboard and a 4-Pin header to daisy-chain another fan and a 3-Pin connector to connect the tachometer to the end of the chain. I run two 120mm versions from the CPUFAN header - one on each radiator.

Edit: Like this;
arctic_cooling_f12pwm_3.jpg

Reply 95 of 126, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TELVM wrote:
When the mobo lacks CHA_FAN control, you can daisy chain all fans with Y-splitters ... […]
Show full quote
smeezekitty wrote:

... The motherboard can't control the case fan. It's fixed to full speed.
The CPU fan speed can be decreased to tolerable levels but the case fan is still noisey 2400 RPM.

smeezekitty wrote:

... The Asrock "OC tuner" works to set the CPU fan but not the case fan.

When the mobo lacks CHA_FAN control, you can daisy chain all fans with Y-splitters ...

[/img]http://www.overclockers.co.nz/store/image/cac … 10B-800x600.jpg[/img]

... so that both CPU fan and case fans are plugged into the CPU fan header. This way all fans will be controlled in unison from CPU_FAN header.

· If CPU_FAN header is 4-pin PWM, all fans must be 4-pin PWM (3-pin non-PWM fans will run uncontrolled @ 100%).

· If CPU_FAN header is 3-pin voltage-regulated non-PWM, all fans must be 3-pin (4-pin PWM fans will run uncontrolled @ 100%).

CPU fan headers can withstand 2A of current. A typical 120mm case fan draws 0.15A tops:

[/img]http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2014/01 … ing_F12_big.jpg[/img]

Thus CPU_FAN header can feed a dozen fans without problem.

So you're saying you could hook up 13 of those fans to a single header? I seriously doubt that will end well. 😵

Reply 96 of 126, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OBSOLETE MY ASS!!! MY 775 Q9550 is running a 1ghz OC @ 3.85 ghz with DDR THREE ram (12gb) and a GTX 770 i plan on running GTA 5 at lovely 50-70 FPS. it's one of the fastest CPUs of it's time and is still extremely usable. you can even do 771 mods and use XEONs which over clock to 4-4.5 ghz with the right board and chipset.

Reply 97 of 126, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just set up my mom with a Pentium D 945 and after a 6 hour burn in with Prime 95 my OC at 4.08ghz is running nice and steady. Windows 7 32bit is rather snappy and the only thing that will be holding it back after I swap the SSD that is on the way will be the 2gb of DDR2-400. Even the 1gb HD4650 is more than enough for her needs 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 98 of 126, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer to run my fans full speed at all times as the sound is less annoying and it extends the life of the hardware

Not the fans. Besides it will make the system clog up with dust and fur significantly faster (its a serious problem with 4 cats)

It's a 3 pin fan plugged into the 3 pin CHA_FAN plug. It can even measure the speed but not control it.
Strangely enough, the old OEM board could control the fan speed but that board died.

OBSOLETE MY ASS!!! MY 775 Q9550 is running a 1ghz OC @ 3.85 ghz with DDR THREE ram (12gb) and a GTX 770 i plan on running GTA 5 at lovely 50-70 FPS. it's one of the fastest CPUs of it's time and is still extremely usable. you can even do 771 mods and use XEONs which over clock to 4-4.5 ghz with the right board and chipset.

Well a 1 GHz OC is really big. In most cases, you can't overclock nearly that far.

Reply 99 of 126, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see Core 2 being obsolete, I said that several years ago and clearly was wrong but it comes down to how well one uses what they have. I have seen people look at current gen i5 as not being good enough which is just absurd.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.