f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 46, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha way to go uncle Tom's. respect-048.gif

But this ...

"If you opt for an Intel motherboard, be sure that it has an Intel 810 or 815 chipset."

... made me scream: BlaXphemy! 🤣

OCcRzSMC.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 3 of 46, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a quick scan, I can conclude that the article is full of shit tbh.

Still, it's THG, what was I expecting?

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 4 of 46, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How in hell does the DOS version of Warcraft II run well in a Katmai Pentium III? I have it installed in a Pentium MMX 200 and the scrolling is already a bit too fast for my taste. I think it runs fine on my P133 though. And I remember not having issues on a Cyrix M2-PR333... but that was years ago and I might not be remembering correctly (or perhaps I had a shittier 2D card that held the scrolling speed back).

Reply 5 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That article was...interesting. There were a variety of inaccuracies, some of which I felt shouldn'tve been a problem in the first place - like saying the Voodoo3 came out in 1998, and linking to Tom's Hardware's preview of the Voodoo3...dated 1999. On the other hand, if "retro PCs" get more attention, maybe it'll mean more interest in producing "recreation" stuff for some of the more popular things, like some other gaming platforms have seen in recent years.

Reply 7 of 46, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Not too bad, has some good basic info; still, Intel 810? Socket 270?

alexanrs wrote:

How in hell does the DOS version of Warcraft II run well in a Katmai Pentium III? I have it installed in a Pentium MMX 200 and the scrolling is already a bit too fast for my taste. I think it runs fine on my P133 though. And I remember not having issues on a Cyrix M2-PR333... but that was years ago and I might not be remembering correctly (or perhaps I had a shittier 2D card that held the scrolling speed back).

I had the same experience with Warcraft II. My P100/Trident 9440 was okay, but as soon as I moved up to a P166MMX/S3 Virge scrolling got very fast (had to take it down quite a bit to make it bearable). I can only imagine how fast it goes with a 450MHz P3 😐

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too shallow an article of bull-shit. As we all know, there is much, much, much more to this than just slamming some random parts together.
The author should at least consider the possibility of K6-III versus P3-450, when dealing with sub-1ghz cpu's.
How on earth did the author miss the sound system in the mention of other HW? It's like "no dell motherboard" and then done with the article.
He could at least refer to vogons for "in dept informations".

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 46, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I'm sure most of us here know more about "retro computing" that the guy who wrote the article 😉 Was just trying to point out that TH is jumping on the "RETRO" bandwagon as well. Either they're running out of things to cover or someone thought it would be hip to write about the topic.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

Oh I'm sure most of us here know more about "retro computing" that the guy who wrote the article 😉 Was just trying to point out that TH is jumping on the "RETRO" bandwagon as well. Either they're running out of things to cover or someone thought it would be hip to write about the topic.

I think he is just trying to be hip. And looking the dude up on facebook, he strikes me as someone who just have no idea and has no grasp of old hardware. As he looks really young, and he's interrests are "new and shiny" stuff. I don't really see any old stuff, that he likes and have any interrest in.
A newswriter should at least be aware of what he is dealing with. And I have no doubt and I am actually convinced that most here on Vogons, could have done a better job at writing that article. Personally, I do have some knowledge to an extend. Just that I really lack the skills, to write articles.

Reply 11 of 46, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well in all honesty, had I wrote that peice, id just say for retro computing go to vogons.org and left it at that 🤣

Reply 12 of 46, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

I think he is just trying to be hip. And looking the dude up on facebook, he strikes me as someone who just have no idea and has no grasp of old hardware. As he looks really young, and he's interrests are "new and shiny" stuff. I don't really see any old stuff, that he likes and have any interrest in.
A newswriter should at least be aware of what he is dealing with. And I have no doubt and I am actually convinced that most here on Vogons, could have done a better job at writing that article. Personally, I do have some knowledge to an extend. Just that I really lack the skills, to write articles.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. But yeah the article wasn't great.

Reply 13 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We also shouldn't forget that building a PC is a lot of fun! Some PC enthusiasts enjoy building computers more than using them even, so you might build one of these systems for the sheer joy of it. Further, building a new computer can be quite expensive, but the cost of building an old system like this could cost nothing at all (depending on how many spare parts you can dig up), or at most no more than $100.

That section in the article, just tells me everything. That he simply has no grasp on what he is writing about.
No more than 100 dollars... Well... Spank me and call me a pussy. MT32's or GUS alone, has a pretty hefty price tag these days.
And running Warcraft2 as he is mentioning in that article, is from the time where hardware like that was "the shit" to have.

Reply 14 of 46, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
We also shouldn't forget that building a PC is a lot of fun! Some PC enthusiasts enjoy building computers more than using them e […]
Show full quote

We also shouldn't forget that building a PC is a lot of fun! Some PC enthusiasts enjoy building computers more than using them even, so you might build one of these systems for the sheer joy of it. Further, building a new computer can be quite expensive, but the cost of building an old system like this could cost nothing at all (depending on how many spare parts you can dig up), or at most no more than $100.

That section in the article, just tells me everything. That he simply has no grasp on what he is writing about.
No more than 100 dollars... Well... Spank me and call me a pussy. MT32's or GUS alone, has a pretty hefty price tag these days.
And running Warcraft2 as he is mentioning in that article, is from the time where hardware like that was "the shit" to have.

Yes but he would more likely say just use the onboard sound or get an old SoundBlaster Live from ebay

Reply 15 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. True.... He is also talking about emulation and Win-9X in some absurd and wierd way.
Wich I simply can not get to fit together. What does he actually tell the reader?

Reply 17 of 46, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

What I don't get is fb comments for the article. So many people talking about VM like that's the best thing...

They don't understand the vintage gaming experience

Reply 18 of 46, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

What I don't get is fb comments for the article. So many people talking about VM like that's the best thing...

if a VM worked even half the time for gaming I'd give away my left Kidney.