VOGONS

Reply 3300 of 3305, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:52:
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:48:
This is the textbook definition of an e-waste rescue, as I literally snuck this out from being most certainly scrapped. An AOpen […]
Show full quote

This is the textbook definition of an e-waste rescue, as I literally snuck this out from being most certainly scrapped. An AOpen branded large tower case with a dual Pentium II 400MHz system inside. Unfortunately it won't power on, so either something's come loose or the power supply is dead. Still worth it though, I've never had a dual Slot-1 system before.

PXL_20211013_173523003.jpg

PXL_20211013_173532558.jpg

PXL_20211013_173748806.jpg

PXL_20211013_173752660.jpg

What a find/rescue! Hope it is just the PSU.

It's very clean inside so I don't have any reason to believe there's been any kind of water/liquid damage, and boards of this era typically don't have capacitor problems either. That makes me reasonably confident the PSU is to blame.

Reply 3301 of 3305, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-10-14, 00:07:
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:52:
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:48:
This is the textbook definition of an e-waste rescue, as I literally snuck this out from being most certainly scrapped. An AOpen […]
Show full quote

This is the textbook definition of an e-waste rescue, as I literally snuck this out from being most certainly scrapped. An AOpen branded large tower case with a dual Pentium II 400MHz system inside. Unfortunately it won't power on, so either something's come loose or the power supply is dead. Still worth it though, I've never had a dual Slot-1 system before.

PXL_20211013_173523003.jpg

PXL_20211013_173532558.jpg

PXL_20211013_173748806.jpg

PXL_20211013_173752660.jpg

What a find/rescue! Hope it is just the PSU.

It's very clean inside so I don't have any reason to believe there's been any kind of water/liquid damage, and boards of this era typically don't have capacitor problems either. That makes me reasonably confident the PSU is to blame.

Nice find 😀

Also, assuming you haven't already tried, maybe a dead coin cell is stopping it powering on

Reply 3302 of 3305, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-10-11, 02:26:

Good for free. Just check the PSU for any bloated caps. Some of the capacitors in these units don't get a lot of airflow and can fail over a longer period of time.

It did have one failing capacitor, a 2200 µF 10 volt, all of the others looked good. I salvaged one from the dead Corsair PSU I have, and everything's working fine. My idea of swapping the PSU cases turned out to be impractical.

The one bad cap could have been the cause of the instability that had the previous owner upgrade to something newer and give this away. I did a test installation of Windows 10 last night, and the system has worked perfectly so far. A little disappointed to find that the Intel H57 is only SATA 300 & no USB 3, but what do you want for nothing?

Reply 3303 of 3305, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is from a while ago. I don't remember if I already mentioned these here btw so pardon if this one will be double.

Found something twice this year. First was some kind of OEM FM2 system which alas used some kind of proprietary connectored FSP PSU (smaller connector, but I'm pretty sure adapters will exist for this), a small amount of DDR3 and even a 1TB WD EZEX HDD!
There were also some speakers there and a small screen but I didn't take those home as having to carry a PC case home on foot was already quite the walk 🤣
The second find was actually a double find. 2 PCs which both turned out to be P4 systems. One had several harddrives while the second had a GF2MX of some sort.
The parts themselves were nothing to write home about (they were just generic P4 systems from the kind that was very common back in the day), except that I did notice the previous owner did mingle with these systems before they were thrown out. Otherwise all these systems contained quite few spare parts alas but I'm happy to have found anything at all of course. Free stuff is free stuff and all 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3304 of 3305, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it turns out that the guys from the office next to us are moving to the recently emptied other office, so out of the goodness of my heart I helped them carry over some stuff. In the meantime I picked up some this and that for myself:

ASUS Ipanel Basic (can anyone suggest a compatible mobo? preferably socket A)
Sony MPF520 floppy drive
Brand new sealed Windows XP Home version 2002 OEM for Gateway
Brand new sealed Windows 2000 Professional OEM
2x brand new sealed Microsoft Word 2000
One mouse driver floppy (you can never have enough drivers)
LG GCE-8520B CD drive with it's setup CD and all its documentations, no box though.
Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD drive with cable

sreq.png

Reply 3305 of 3305, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're probably gonna want an A7V of some variety, the KT133 ones support it, but not sure how late the support goes

edit: apparently they rewired the connector for the A7V333 https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-p4b … -deluxe.831447/ which might mean you can figure out an adapter, or if the ipanel was later stock maybe it came with one. Also, get your heavy A7V knowledge from a7vtroubleshooting.com which might give you an idea of which one will suit you.

edit2: the KT333 wasn't all that great a chipset anyway, the KT266A was well sorted though and well regarded.

2017: Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. 2021: Still starting, heh, many setbacks. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> Taming the pile, specs to target?