VOGONS

Reply 220 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, I don't know what happened here. But anyway...

RacoonRider wrote:

PCBONEZ, you know what I mean. Despite what the manual might say, with my exact board it only works the way Malvineous described.

With my board, it died.

I have to admit that my memory may be flakey and it was in my dawning days of computerbuilding, but obviously I went to find out what killed it and the only thing I could find out was that this jumper was in the wrong position. There were no screws underneath the board, nothing else which could've caused it to smoke, I had kinda ruled out all other options, except for that jumper. And this seemed like a likely cause of the board dying.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 221 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

What I said was clearly only pertinent to normal systems that use a CLEAR-CMOS jumper.
Those you brought up (above quote) don't use a jumper so how are they even applicable?

It don't use a jumper??

Pay attention oh clueless one.
If you bothered to read what that was in response to then you would not be asking that question.

SquallStrife wrote:
Malvineous wrote:

(page 60) says that the BIOS scans the CMOS reset jumper during boot.

Again - pay attention and read before you speak - because:
#1 - That is contained in the procedure called: "Front Panel CMOS Clear and Jumperless Clock Ratio Settings"
#2 - It does not actually say what Malvineous said. Bad interpretation by Malvineous.
If you READ THE MANUAL, all the pertinent sections, and know what you are reading - the jumper in question has two positions:
[CMOS Clear Under BMC Control] and [Force Erase]. Yes - Those are the actual names of the positions.
What the blurb at page 60 is actually saying is *if* that jumper set to [CMOS Clear Under BMC Control] then it will scan a pin on the chipset and reset the BIOS.
-
The standard procedure (that I have been talking about) is also available on that board by putting the jumper in [Force Erase] which is the same as putting the jumper in [CLEAR] on a consumer board. It's done with no power to the board and put back before you power up again. Intel expects anyone setting up a server to already know how that works so they don't go into it.

SquallStrife wrote:

You need to calm down PCBONEZ.

I'm perfectly calm.
I would have to CARE what people I don't actually know think to be otherwise, and I don't.
I do have a problem with bad information being left uncorrected only to screw over other readers later so when I see it I address it.

Many motherboard manuals have cautions against powering up the system with the jumper in the CLEAR position. That's the most common kind of CLEAR-CMOS jumper configuration on retail boards and powering up with the jumper in CLEAR can fry the board - as was experienced by Tetrium.

SquallStrife wrote:

Here at VOGONS your retro computer cred is safe, nobody is going to think less of you for not knowing something, or for thinking the wrong thing about something. It happens.

1 - I am not the one with the knowledge deficit.
2 - I had 'cred' in tech forums before Vogons existed. (In fact the original Uncreative Labs had links to the tech forum I ran.)
3 - As said I don't really give'a shit about what people on the Internet think. Never have.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-28, 13:46. Edited 3 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 222 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

PCBONEZ, you know what I mean.

No I don't.
What you are saying conflicts with both your manual and standard practice.
I'm not sure what you are doing or what you are seeing.

RacoonRider wrote:

with my exact board it only works the way Malvineous described.

The first two examples Malvineous gave were boards with non-standard customizations to clear the CMOS without opening the case.
(I honestly didn't read the third after filtering 88 PDFs to find the second.)
I saw nothing in your manual that suggests your board supports that kind of thing. (I could have missed something.)

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-28, 12:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 223 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Just to bug people of even more I have to add that on many motherboards the clear BIOS jumper seems to disconnect a battery lead. In most cases the jumper dosnt just disconnect one lead from the battery but also shortens the now powerless flash chip, thats why it isnt just a jumper you remove but a jumper you move. In the case where the chip is shorted the computer wont boot with the jumper in the wrong position while in the case where the battery is just disconnected the computer will boot with the jumper in clear position.

Yes. Some are that way but not all.

Others have only two pins or only two out of the three are connected to anything.
You also see that circuit configuration on boards that just give two pads to short together and no pins or jumpers at all.
Used to only see that (two pads) on laptop boards but it's starting to show up on regular motherboards.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-28, 13:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 224 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Wow, I don't know what happened here. But anyway...

RacoonRider wrote:

PCBONEZ, you know what I mean. Despite what the manual might say, with my exact board it only works the way Malvineous described.

With my board, it died.

I believe you. I have seen it before.

Reply 225 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Don't mind RaccoonRider, he doesn't like being proven wrong and can get pretty pissy if you don't leave him to live in his own delusions. You may as well just give up because he and Swayee are so far up each other's ass I thought they were horribly deformed conjoined twins. Besides, it'll be his hardware that gets fucked up at the end of the day, you tried to post useful facts and people didn't listen - their loss.

People don't bother me. - Bad information does. - And it's not his hardware I care about.
In particular bad information that could lead to someone reading later to doing extra work (to no purpose) or damaging their system.
I'm not into grudges either.
In a bit of time I'll remember what the argument was about but not who it was with.
For me it's about the information. Not who said it.

Reply 226 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I admit to being a dick - in fact, I think I said so in my very first posts on these forums - and by extension, I accept when I am in the wrong or when I've done something particularly "dick-ish" that was out of line. I know my own faults, which is why - for example - I don't post on forums for a few hours after I wake up because I'm not particularly civil when I'm half asleep.

I'm much the same way except I'm not a dick, I'm an asshole.
I don't post when:
- I'm pissed off. (I go away until later.)
- I'm not confident I have it right based on actual experience or documentation. (Which means if I say it as fact I can usually prove it.)
As a result I am rarely wrong. No one is perfect though and I do make mistakes ~occasionally~.
(Nuther personal policy.) - When I throw out a guess - I SAY SO.
I do piss people off pretty often. I don't make an effort. It just comes natural.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-28, 14:20. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 227 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

In no case should powering on the computer with the jumper in clear mode damage the system if the designer of the motherboard wasnt sniffing too much glue during the design! 😁

I'm sure I've probably powered up a board with the jumper in the wrong position but, interesting, immediately thought "shiiiiiiiiiit" and powered off again. This is because I have always suspected that it's probably not a good idea despite not ever reading something to the contrary. But if we've learned anything from this it's that what happened to Tetrium's board isn't common knowledge and that there is no 'standard' way of resetting CMOS / NVRAM etc. Something we haven't learned (because we knew it already) is that written language and interpretation of it often prevents us from expressing ourselves / being understood clearly. That's a daily occurrence on a forum, but something else we already know is that manuals are often written by people with poor language / communication skills and that's something else that happens all too regularly when really it shouldn't.

Blame the manual-writing douchebags for this mess. 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 228 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

How are you supposed to do that without opening the case?

Nanobots

How many of those can I get for 50 bucks?
Things to do that I don't really want to do are stacking up.

Reply 229 of 4609, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Helped a neighbor out with a Vista machine and got one of these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fK9a1wfpL.jpg fried motherboard but a good 2gb kit of DDR2 667, 300watt Lite-on 24pin PSU, and a case to throw a motherboard into.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 230 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

What I said was clearly only pertinent to normal systems that use a CLEAR-CMOS jumper.
Those you brought up (above quote) don't use a jumper so how are they even applicable?

It don't use a jumper??

That title is already taken. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 231 of 4609, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

There's no need to throw insults. Ad hominems only detract from your argument. It disappoints me that this takes place, I've been called a "shill" and "brain-impaired" today as well, by a person that I assume is an adult. Real shame.

But if we're going to play that game, here are two things you said:

"Those you brought up (above quote) don't use a jumper" ... so it DOESN'T use a jumper?

"What the blurb at page 60 is actually saying is *if* that jumper set to..."
"...also available on that board by putting the jumper in [Force Erase]..." ... or it DOES use a jumper?

If your response to this is to insult me again, and rant about how "jumper" means something different in each case, then you've proven my point, and that's disappointing.

PCBONEZ wrote:

If you bothered to read what that was in response to then you would not be asking that question.

Every single time you have used that phrase, or some variation of it ("If you read what I responded to" "Its there you just have to read it"), nobody knows what you mean. It has happened a few times lately.

If someone's asking, it means they felt you were unclear. It's not a slight against you, there's no insinuation, it's just the nature of the text based medium, and how everybody's interpretation is shaped by their past experiences.

You're awfully quick to get nasty and indignant when somebody misinterprets what you say, or dares to correct you. That doesn't strike me as someone that doesn't care what people think. It comes across as caring deeply that people think you are right all the time:

PCBONEZ wrote:

As a result I am rarely wrong.

That's what they all say! 😎

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 232 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

It don't use a jumper??

That title is already taken. 😉

Apologies. So Sorry... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 233 of 4609, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's like a train wreck. In slow motion. And I'm the one driving the train. And I could have stopped it, but I didn't.

... I'm a super broken autistic sperglord. What's your excuse? 🤣

Reply 234 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

There's no need to throw insults. Ad hominems only detract from your argument. It disappoints me that this takes place, I've been called a "shill" and "brain-impaired" today as well, by a person that I assume is an adult. Real shame.

I don't care.

SquallStrife wrote:
But if we're going to play that game, here are two things you said: […]
Show full quote

But if we're going to play that game, here are two things you said:

"Those you brought up (above quote) don't use a jumper" ... so it DOESN'T use a jumper?

"What the blurb at page 60 is actually saying is *if* that jumper set to..."
"...also available on that board by putting the jumper in [Force Erase]..." ... or it DOES use a jumper?

If your response to this is to insult me again, and rant about how "jumper" means something different in each case, then you've proven my point, and that's disappointing.

If you bothered to read what that was in response to then you would not be asking those questions.
In other words if you bothered to read the manual and the procedure we were talking about - you would not have a question.
I'm supposed to spoon feed you because you're too lazy to read? - I am not your baby sitter.
-
Just for Lazy Boy...
... The procedure does not use the a jumper. [ Meaning you don't move one during the procedure. ]
... If x-jumper is set to.... [ Part of the manual's explanation of what happens in that same procedure when the jumper is in a particular position. ]
It's not than damned hard if you read it.

[Force Erase] is part of an entirely different procedure that does move a jumper.

Would you like burped now?

SquallStrife wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Every single time you have used that phrase, or some variation of it ("If you read what I responded to" "Its there you just have to read it"), nobody knows what you mean. It has happened a few times lately.

So what you are saying is you commented on a response and you had no idea what it was talking about.

SquallStrife wrote:

......... It's not a slight against you, there's no insinuation, ...........

You are full of crap. Blatant insinuations.
This is what you actually wrote. - And YOU were the instigator.

SquallStrife wrote:

.. nobody is going to think less of you for not knowing something, or for thinking the wrong thing about something...

None of what I said was wrong and I'm not going to take crap from someone too lazy to read.

Reply 235 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that all this thread space was wasted explaining non-standard procedures to non-readers...

Some manufacturer and related links to standard procedures.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq … d=1758&pid=2844
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000851/
http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/clear_cmos.html
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58094
http://us.shuttle.com/SCGFaq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=42
http://www.velocitymicro.com/SupportArticles/Article_619.php
http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-cmos-reset.htm

Reply 236 of 4609, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

I don't care.

It shows.

PCBONEZ wrote:

You are full of crap. Blatant insinuations.

Insecure much?

PCBONEZ wrote:

None of what I said was wrong and I'm not going to take crap from someone too lazy to read.

The only person flinging crap is you. Practically everybody else here is prepared to be civil in the first instance.

Reply 237 of 4609, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i dont know why you ppl keep paying attention to what PCBONEZ says. You CANT have a healthy discussion with someone like him and i learned long time ago to ignore this kind of ppl...

Reply 238 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Living wrote:

i dont know why you ppl keep paying attention to what PCBONEZ says. You CANT have a healthy discussion with someone like him and i learned long time ago to ignore this kind of ppl...

I live in America. I'm quite used to ignoring stupid people. And for the record, I haven't read anything posted in the last page or so. I haven't a clue what you people are fighting about.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 239 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ 3 ^

Note to self: Revised definitions: To ignore or not pay attention to something is to write about it.

Note to self: Writing posts with no topic or technical content for the sole purpose of character assassination is healthy, not argumentative and is not hypocrisy at all because it demonstrates the wonderful character of the poster.