VOGONS

Reply 1020 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Ended getting two systems and a dead motherboard (not shown) from my uni, the first system is an HP XW4000 Workstation without t […]
Show full quote

Ended getting two systems and a dead motherboard (not shown) from my uni, the first system is an HP XW4000 Workstation without the PSU which have an interesting videocard, a Matrox Parhellia-512 AGP, can't test the xw4000 because of propietary PSU missing, second system is an usual i865G mATX system. I can confirm both the Parhelia and the Geforce 4 MX4000 cards works
Specs:
XW4000
Pentium 4 2.66 ghz Northwood with propietary cooler
HP XW4000 motherboard
no RAM
Matrox Parhellia-512 128 MB
Maxtor 40 GB
Custom P4 system
Pentium 4 HT 2.8E Ghz Prescott with an all copper socket 478 cooler
Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MF
no RAM
Geforce 4 MX4000 (Gigabyte GV-N40128TE)
Samsung 80 GB SATA HDD
InWin 240 watt PSU

Is that HP a twin 6 pin? Adapters are like 3 dollars on eBay. More than worth it for a working workstation IMO.

Why did they take nothing but the RAM though? AFAIK RAM is usually the least valuable part in the PC. Probably doubly so for the workstation as I bet it accepts ECC memory which is always a fraction of the price of normal ram due to it constantly being mass retired from server farns.

Actually 24 pin Compaq + 4 pin

About the RAM, is werid, most people here take out the RAM instead of the HDD, the HP XW4000 ineeded supports ECC RAM since the Intel 845 (the original one, not the E and PE versions) supports ECC

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1021 of 4609, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wish me luck, if all goes well, I am getting part-time job in giant recycling center, so massive amounts of dumpster finds will come. But I have to pray for it because I wasn't the first who called 😁

Reply 1023 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Why did they take nothing but the RAM though? AFAIK RAM is usually the least valuable part in the PC. Probably doubly so for the workstation as I bet it accepts ECC memory which is always a fraction of the price of normal ram due to it constantly being mass retired from server farns.

I've done that in the past, Pulled the ram from a decommissioned PC/Laptop/Server that's being disposed of and put into something similar that's not quite ready for retirement yet, More of a case of waste not want not then a planned upgrade.

Reply 1024 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I've done that in the past, Pulled the ram from a decommissioned PC/Laptop/Server that's being disposed of and put into something similar that's not quite ready for retirement yet, More of a case of waste not want not then a planned upgrade.

I could understand that for the normal system... But ECC RAM?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1025 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
chinny22 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I could understand that for the normal system... But ECC RAM?

At least 8 gigs of the ram in my server came from a stack of recycled mobos

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1026 of 4609, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was a few weeks ago, but my GF's dad hooked me up with a ton free stuff. So much, that I couldn't take it all.

But I did take:

Xwave A571-T20 Sound Card
SB Live! Value
4 CD-RW drives
4 Floppy drives
1.6 GHz Pentium 4
1.8 GHz Pentium 4
2.0 GHz Pentium 4
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
2.8 GHz Celeron (2)

I thought he gave me a 3.06GHz Pentium 4 too but I can't find it. 🙁 He also gave me a bunch of old cables I needed and promised to find a big bag-o-RAM for me. Haha.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 1027 of 4609, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fusion wrote:

...but my GF's dad hooked me up ...

Now that is a sign.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1028 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fusion wrote:
This was a few weeks ago, but my GF's dad hooked me up with a ton free stuff. So much, that I couldn't take it all. […]
Show full quote

This was a few weeks ago, but my GF's dad hooked me up with a ton free stuff. So much, that I couldn't take it all.

But I did take:

Xwave A571-T20 Sound Card
SB Live! Value
4 CD-RW drives
4 Floppy drives
1.6 GHz Pentium 4
1.8 GHz Pentium 4
2.0 GHz Pentium 4
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
2.8 GHz Celeron (2)

I thought he gave me a 3.06GHz Pentium 4 too but I can't find it. 🙁 He also gave me a bunch of old cables I needed and promised to find a big bag-o-RAM for me. Haha.

Are those slower P4 423 or 478 models?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1029 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has been a while since the last time I posted in this thread.

The lack of posts is not really an indication of lack of finds but more of an indication of lazyness when it comes to sharing my finds in the thread. This morning I found some stuff in the electronics waste dumpster in my apartment blocks local garbage room I have to share though.

First we have this Asus P7P55D EVO motherboard with CPU and cooler covered in dust and dumpster juice. Notice the damaged Noctua cooler, not only are the cooling fins bent but a heatpipe has really got a beating because something heavy was resting on top of it in the dumpster. What could that heavy thing be?

Asus P55D EVO dumpster find.JPG
Filename
File size
3.81 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Lets do a smoke test! I did not remove the dust or dumpster juice, the video card is a dumpster find from another day, the memory module is one of my own ones but I found the fan with the motherboard, CPU and cooler. I will have to go back and look for the mounting clips.

Asus P55D EVO dumpster find smoke test.JPG
Filename
Asus P55D EVO dumpster find smoke test.JPG
File size
3.78 MiB
Views
File license

Well the motherboard seems to work just fine! The CPU is an i5 760 and it seems the previous owner ran the system overclocked.

Asus P55D EVO dumpster find BIOS.JPG
Filename
Asus P55D EVO dumpster find BIOS.JPG
File size
3.63 MiB
Views
File license

Well thats all nice but perhaps not very interesting... btw what was that heavy item resting on top of the motherboard in the electronics waste dumpster?...

Only this 18 kg (40 lbs) Marantz PM-84II amplifier... This not not a cheap amp and it seems to be in perfect condition. Who in their right mind whould throw this beast in the electronic waste dumpster!!???

Marantz PM-84II dumpster find.JPG
Filename
File size
3.96 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1030 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Only this 18 kg (40 lbs) Marantz PM-84II amplifier... This not not a cheap amp and it seems to be in perfect condition. Who in their right mind whould throw this beast in the electronic waste dumpster!!???

Holy Sh*t, you're not kidding. I bet that thing sounds amazing. Either it has some erratic or very specific issues or it wasn't worth anything to the owner. I've got a Technics SL-7 turntable that was thrown away, so it is possible a wealthy person just didn't want it anymore.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1031 of 4609, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno, my dad threw his whole Sanyo component stereo system into the e-waste after he got his replacement: A Bose Wave Music System, with the 3 CD changer add-on. Damn thing makes a shitload of mechanical noises every time it loses and regains power, as if it has to cycle all of its trays to identify their contents.

Dug through the garage, pulled out my dad's first purchase from this one lame local shop that was known for using low grade components. Except when they didn't.

In this case, it's an Intel D865GSA motherboard, 3GHz Prescott Pentium 4, and 2x 512MB DDR2. Also has a passive cooled video card with an ATI logo on the cooler, with VGA/miniDIN/DVI connectors. I'll know more tomorrow once I've booted some sort of OS on this thing.

Reply 1032 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😲

Skyscraper wrote:
It has been a while since the last time I posted in this thread. […]
Show full quote

It has been a while since the last time I posted in this thread.

The lack of posts is not really an indication of lack of finds but more of an indication of lazyness when it comes to sharing my finds in the thread. This morning I found some stuff in the electronics waste dumpster in my apartment blocks local garbage room I have to share though.

<snip>

1982 to 2001

Reply 1033 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

First we have this Asus P7P55D EVO motherboard with CPU and cooler covered in dust and dumpster juice. Notice the damaged Noctua cooler, not only are the cooling fins bent but a heatpipe has really got a beating because something heavy was resting on top of it in the dumpster. What could that heavy thing be?

Heh, funny thing that someone dumps newer version of the motherboard, I'm happily using for about 7 years in my main rig 😁 Last year I've replaced overclocked i5-750 with one of those cheap lga1156 xeons found on ebay for about 40 USD, which is in fact an i7-870 CPU renamed as Xeon X3470. And also runs overclocked at about ~3.7GHz with default voltage, so I have no need to upgrade it as it would require to change memory as well and my 16 gigs of DDR3 running at 1800 MHz are still sufficient for my needs.

Reply 1034 of 4609, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ripped apart an e-pc today and found this little thing. I don't have any other Socket 370 Pentium III CPUs, so now I've got something to test with.

Attachments

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1035 of 4609, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:

Ripped apart an e-pc today and found this little thing. I don't have any other Socket 370 Pentium III CPUs, so now I've got something to test with.

Cool, I have two HP e-PC computers in my collection, one of which is the original e-Vectra which I've spotted on your old post here on the first picture, pretty interesting little computers, mine still works but could use a recap ASAP.

If you're having trouble finding an AC Adapter for that model, any 19V 3.16Amp adapter with a barrel jack will work, I actually use a Dell PA-16 on mine and it's works perfectly, I believe Gateway laptops from the same era use the same power specs too.

Reply 1036 of 4609, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
SaxxonPike wrote:

Cool, I have two HP e-PC computers in my collection, one of which is the original e-Vectra which I've spotted on your old post here on the first picture, pretty interesting little computers, mine still works but could use a recap ASAP.

If you're having trouble finding an AC Adapter for that model, any 19V 3.16Amp adapter with a barrel jack will work, I actually use a Dell PA-16 on mine and it's works perfectly, I believe Gateway laptops from the same era use the same power specs too.

Good to know! The beige one was gutted completely already, and the board inside the Vectra had a couple bulging caps already, which I assume is why they were dumped. It came with an 810 chipset and 256MB of memory. I imagine the pulled parts are still good. Unfortunately, these little boxes might get recycled for good besides.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1037 of 4609, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so where would I post about an office thats *going* to be sending a bunch of hardware to the dumpster and how I may share those items with anyone local to me here in or near the Dallas, Texas area? This is not a SALE or TRADE situation. It's a FREE GIVEAWAY. I had started a thread recently about it and it was removed for some odd reason. Maybe a moderator did not read the whole post to see that it had nothing to do with a sale or trade. I would hate to see older but usable hardware go to waste because if its as much as I think its going to be there will be a lot that will be simply thrown out because I have no room for it all.

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 1038 of 4609, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Holy Sh*t, you're not kidding. I bet that thing sounds amazing. Either it has some erratic or very specific issues or it wasn't worth anything to the owner. I've got a Technics SL-7 turntable that was thrown away, so it is possible a wealthy person just didn't want it anymore.

That kind of find is about on the same level as the Yamaha AV-receiver I spotted a few weeks back at a local recycling shop for $20. Later I discovered it was fairly recent, with a MSRP of 2000 dollars. Of course, when I went back to the shop, it was long gone...