User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

shipping fees are 15$ to ship to my country, that's a bit too munch for me

Maybe you can find another (local) store that sells the item you want? Try searching for the part number.

Yeah, that was just my go-to supplier. There should definitely be a more local seller or shop. If you have any tv/stereo repair shop near you then that would be the best place to ask. (They all seem to be disappearing 🙁)

There disappearing because repair knowledge is becoming a proprietary asset used to forward planned obsolescence. Very similar to $$$ high tier apple repairs that cost $15 dollars in parts/labor. There's a law in Missouri called the fair repair act or something going through legislation right now. I'm hoping it passes as it requires repair information to be made fairly available. Sadly it most likely won't as it's going to be very lobbied against.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1261 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

There disappearing because repair knowledge is becoming a proprietary asset used to forward planned obsolescence. Very similar to $$$ high tier apple repairs that cost $15 dollars in parts/labor. There's a law in Missouri called the fair repair act or something going through legislation right now. I'm hoping it passes as it requires repair information to be made fairly available. Sadly it most likely won't as it's going to be very lobbied against.

I can tell you've been watching a lot of Louis Rossman videos.

As far as the vintage laptops are concerned though. 90s laptops were absolute trash straight out of the factory as far as relative performance goes and costed insane amounts of money. Either they were used until they fell apart or were discarded with frequent upgrades depending on corporate budgets. So they were either thrown away or fell apart before retro computing even had a chance to take off. The vast majority of the ones we see now were the ones that got thrown in a closet somewhere and survived until very recently.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1262 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

As far as the vintage laptops are concerned though. 90s laptops were absolute trash straight out of the factory as far as relative performance goes and costed insane amounts of money. Either they were used until they fell apart or were discarded with frequent upgrades depending on corporate budgets. So they were either thrown away or fell apart before retro computing even had a chance to take off. The vast majority of the ones we see now were the ones that got thrown in a closet somewhere and survived until very recently.

I dont even know who that is.

Still, a performance hit wasnt a huge trade off for the ability for the average American business man to effectively conduct business on the go. That was a game changer. Laptops improved immensely towards the end of the 90s when 3D video chips and better performing CPUs/Larger hard drive all started coming to the platforms. 1996ish

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1263 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I dont even know who that is.

Still, a performance hit wasnt a huge trade off for the ability for the average American business man to effectively conduct business on the go. That was a game changer. Laptops improved immensely towards the end of the 90s when 3D video chips and better performing CPUs/Larger hard drive all started coming to the platforms. 1996ish

Seriously? You'd love him. Look up his youtube channel. I don't agree with him 100%, but when it comes to electronics life cycles he can't be more right IMO.

Reply 1264 of 4609, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saved a Mattel Aquarius system from being recycled. I have no idea what this thing is.

rXPE9Zal.jpg

Everything seems to work, I don't know how to use the printer but it powers on and feeds paper.

I played(?) a few minutes of Utopia with my son, I have no idea what we actually did but things moved on the screen.

This may be more of a game console than a retro computer, but it does boot into BASIC so I suppose that means something...

Reply 1265 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you get a memory cart with it? Apparently, the biggest limitation was always the anemic size of RAM onboard.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1267 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:
I saved a Mattel Aquarius system from being recycled. I have no idea what this thing is. […]
Show full quote

I saved a Mattel Aquarius system from being recycled. I have no idea what this thing is.

rXPE9Zal.jpg

Everything seems to work, I don't know how to use the printer but it powers on and feeds paper.

I played(?) a few minutes of Utopia with my son, I have no idea what we actually did but things moved on the screen.

This may be more of a game console than a retro computer, but it does boot into BASIC so I suppose that means something...

Go over to AtariAge's Intellivision forum. They have some of the most knowledgeable Mattel Electronic collectors in the world. They will tell you anything you need to know.

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/125-intellivision-aquarius/

Reply 1268 of 4609, by llamaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this oldboy in one of the air conditioner rooms at work. Still works, motherboard looks good, cracked open the PSU and all of the caps -appear- fine. It's turned into a project. Sanyo capacitors!
1999 Vectra: Pentium II 400Mhz / Integrated Matrox G100 4MB / 64MB PC100 / Diamond Monster Sound MX300 / Aztech AZT2320 ISA
It seems older than 1999; I'm just going off the CD drive date of manufacture. I see no reason why it could have been replaced at some point, and it is an OEM unit made for HP by Teac.
The MX300 is an old card I took (stole) from my stepdad's old computer; kept the Aztech for picky DOS games. CD drive is dead, though. Thing was CAKED in dust; I think that did it in. Just salvaged a new drive from an NOS Dell Optiplex, so I'll be installing that (and hopefully Win98!) tonight.

Attachments

Main: Ryzen 1700X / Gigabyte uATX board w/ PCI slot / XFX HD480 8GB / 16GB Corsair Dominator 3000 / Asus Essence ST
1999 Vectra: Pentium II 400Mhz / Integrated Matrox G100 4MB / Diablotek Radeon 7500 64MB PCI / 363MB PC100 / Aztech AZT2320 ISA

Reply 1269 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:
I saved a Mattel Aquarius system from being recycled. I have no idea what this thing is. […]
Show full quote

rXPE9Zal.jpg

Wow. Why would someone recycle this???
If you're new to 8-bit machines, buying the console itself is usually the cheap/easy part. Finding all the accessories, games, etc. - things to actually make it *run* - is where it gets expensive. ESPECIALLY if you're gonna go for something more obscure than the typical C64/Atari 800/ZX Spectrum ecosystems.
NICE score.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1270 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
llamaboy wrote:
Found this oldboy in one of the air conditioner rooms at work. Still works, motherboard looks good, cracked open the PSU and all […]
Show full quote

Found this oldboy in one of the air conditioner rooms at work. Still works, motherboard looks good, cracked open the PSU and all of the caps -appear- fine. It's turned into a project. Sanyo capacitors!
1999 Vectra: Pentium II 400Mhz / Integrated Matrox G100 4MB / 64MB PC100 / Diamond Monster Sound MX300 / Aztech AZT2320 ISA
It seems older than 1999; I'm just going off the CD drive date of manufacture. I see no reason why it could have been replaced at some point, and it is an OEM unit made for HP by Teac.
The MX300 is an old card I took (stole) from my stepdad's old computer; kept the Aztech for picky DOS games. CD drive is dead, though. Thing was CAKED in dust; I think that did it in. Just salvaged a new drive from an NOS Dell Optiplex, so I'll be installing that (and hopefully Win98!) tonight.

Styling looks A LOT like a macintosh desktop. Especially when you look at the feet and floppy drive.

Reply 1271 of 4609, by llamaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
llamaboy wrote:
Found this oldboy in one of the air conditioner rooms at work. Still works, motherboard looks good, cracked open the PSU and all […]
Show full quote

Styling looks A LOT like a macintosh desktop. Especially when you look at the feet and floppy drive.

Yea that's about the only thing I don't dig about it, well that and the typical HP proprietary-ness...and the busted front panel. Nice that it's a workstation with quality passives, though, and it's free so I'm not complaining.

Main: Ryzen 1700X / Gigabyte uATX board w/ PCI slot / XFX HD480 8GB / 16GB Corsair Dominator 3000 / Asus Essence ST
1999 Vectra: Pentium II 400Mhz / Integrated Matrox G100 4MB / Diablotek Radeon 7500 64MB PCI / 363MB PC100 / Aztech AZT2320 ISA

Reply 1272 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
llamaboy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
llamaboy wrote:
Show full quote

Yea that's about the only thing I don't dig about it, well that and the typical HP proprietary-ness...and the busted front panel. Nice that it's a workstation with quality passives, though, and it's free so I'm not complaining.

Yeah, even before they got close HP and compaq loved their proprietary s**t in those days. 

Reply 1273 of 4609, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Wow. Why would someone recycle this??? If you're new to 8-bit machines, buying the console itself is usually the cheap/easy part […]
Show full quote
keenerb wrote:
Show full quote

rXPE9Zal.jpg

If you're new to 8-bit machines, buying the console itself is usually the cheap/easy part. Finding all the accessories, games, etc. - things to actually make it *run* - is where it gets expensive. ESPECIALLY if you're gonna go for something more obscure than the typical C64/Atari 800/ZX Spectrum ecosystems.
NICE score.

It was a garage sale that was ending, everything was being tossed that hadn't sold, told me I could have whatever looked interesting.

Reply 1274 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
xjas wrote:
Wow. Why would someone recycle this??? If you're new to 8-bit machines, buying the console itself is usually the cheap/easy part […]
Show full quote
keenerb wrote:
Show full quote

rXPE9Zal.jpg

NICE score.

It was a garage sale that was ending, everything was being tossed that hadn't sold, told me I could have whatever looked interesting.

That's odd. You're lucky. If even a single picker saw that it would be gone. Those pricks are aware of retro computing now.

Reply 1275 of 4609, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's odd. You're lucky. If even a single picker saw that it would be gone. Those pricks are aware of retro computing now.

Yep, it was just sitting in a closed but not sealed cardboard box. I have no idea how it survived the garage sale, unless they simply wanted too much for it or didn't even bother putting it out...

Reply 1276 of 4609, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These belonged to a KIP Starprint 4000 which is going to the recycler.

All in working order including both CPUs (Celeron 466 on slotket).

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
58.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1277 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that a BX board? Looks very nice!

kikenovic wrote:

Clipboard01.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 1278 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

kikenovic wrote:

Clipboard01.jpg

Does BX support SMP?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1279 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

kikenovic wrote:

Clipboard01.jpg

Does BX support SMP?

Yes, ABIT BP6, ASUS P2B-D, and many more 😀

It could also be a LX board, might explain the Celerons.

1982 to 2001