VOGONS

Reply 2640 of 4609, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bearking wrote on 2020-01-21, 20:39:
RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-21, 18:47:

A guy from Russia made a project with one of these industrial PCs where he mounted it inside a 5.25" bay of his main PC and used a KVM switch to actually have 2-in-1 computer. Times have changed though, I think it was back in the days when Core2 was hot and new, so it was a lot easier to build that kind of setup.

http://sannata.org/konkurs/2011/kt1111.shtml

Hey, that's a really nice idea! Have to save that link...

there's even specific SBC form factors for 3.5" and 5.25" ^^

Reply 2641 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Struck GOLD before Christmas

Saw a post on freecycle for "old computer bits used in art project so probably not working"
Looking at the pic saw a few things that made it worth the gamble.
Freecycle.png

Right away saw the AWE Gold
The Slocket adapter and slot 1 heatsinks would be nice even if not in the market for them really.
The card with RAM looked interesting and assumed the vga card would be boring.
Figured the CPU's is what was art project was all about so didn't really look at them.

In the end I got even more gold. Amongst the CPU's I'd missed the 2 gold top PPro 200's
CPU.jpg
The Slot 1 CPU's are P3 500 probably from a Prolient 800 going off the VRM part numbers.
Also a P133 non MMX
Lots of bent pins but doesn't look like any missing.

Out of the cards the AWE was the worst with chips off the board but at least included
AWE.jpg

The other cards were:
Abit SlotKET!!! AB-FC370 which is CU compatible 😀
Compaq branded Matrox Millennium with memory addon
DPT PM3224 RAID card with DPT SX4000 daughterboard that allows another 7 devices, although the latest drivers are for NT 3.51 (but works in NT4) It also has 8 MB Parity RAM installed and upgradable to 64MB

All the other chips were a mix of VGA, RAID, etc not all PC related. They are going to a mate that wants to make a mosaic out of them.
The RAID card I'll test at some point and probably sell
The Matrox and Slocket I'll test and keep if they work, Always handy to have
The PPro's I'll keep and try out in my PPro haul PC. The 133 and 500's I'll also test and may sell or just keep as aren't worth anything.
The AWE I'll try getting my mate back in Oz to have a look when I'm back later in the year as this is what he does for a living.

Reply 2644 of 4609, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So my work is throwing out a bunch of recent computers for whatever reason, and I managed to snag one of these boys for the price of free.

09E332B3-27D5-476B-8275-B572FB427430.jpeg
Filename
09E332B3-27D5-476B-8275-B572FB427430.jpeg
File size
125.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

They have no hard drives or ram, but DDR3 isn’t so hard to find anyways. Now I just need to figure out what to do with a Sandybridge era system.

61CFF5EC-A84A-46E5-96E3-56F56236267D.jpeg
Filename
61CFF5EC-A84A-46E5-96E3-56F56236267D.jpeg
File size
217.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2645 of 4609, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:52:

So my work is throwing out a bunch of recent computers for whatever reason, and I managed to snag one of these boys for the price of free.

Nice ! The manual is here: https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/product … -tech-guide.pdf
Most of the Dells of that era are quite good little towers. Sort of funny but almost exactly 2 years ago got a few Dell Optiplex 7010 MT and a Inspiron 3847 MT for next to nothing. Came from a school that had replaced theirs with new ones and was sorta auctioning them off for donations for some school function. They were only missing the HD's.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2646 of 4609, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-02-02, 22:07:
BetaC wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:52:

Nice ! The manual is here: https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/product … -tech-guide.pdf
Most of the Dells of that era are quite good little towers. Sort of funny but almost exactly 2 years ago got a few Dell Optiplex 7010 MT and a Inspiron 3847 MT for next to nothing. Came from a school that had replaced theirs with new ones and was sorta auctioning them off for donations for some school function. They were only missing the HD's.

Thank you for the documents. I’m thinking about constructing some sort of an offline Windows 7 box that has hardware from around that 2011 or so era, but that’s going to be kinda awkward for picking out parts, since it’s less cut and dry.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2647 of 4609, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got these today... My colleagues at work are upgrading some of their equipment, replacing the old SBCs and industrial computers.

POS_486_ST486DX4-100.jpg
Filename
POS_486_ST486DX4-100.jpg
File size
256.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a socket 3 motherboard, I think LPX form factor, with an ST 486DX4 @ 100 MHz + heatsink&cooler and 2*16Mb EDO RAM. I don't know the manufacturer, only the model it's printed on the board, POS-486 and on the back side only that is version B1. The board is working fine so far, but tested only with the basic benchmarking apps. Too bad I couldn't find the riser card for that slot on the board...

Reply 2648 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love how the model appreviation is basically Piece Of Shit 486 😁 Nice freebie but of limited use without the riser 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2650 of 4609, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2020-02-07, 06:57:

Possibly Point of Sale, i.e. ex-industrial.

"Point of Sale" - that means cash register from a shop.

As for the riser, looking at the chipset this is a PCI design, so the riser is most likely one with EISA connector but PCI and ISA slots. They're quite common.

Reply 2651 of 4609, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As dionb said, probably I could find a riser, as it is a quite late 486 board. Probably is from the beginning of 1998, at least the latest date code on one of the chips (ALI M1487 B1)is 9802. Anyway, this board was used to control a machinery similar to the one in the picture below, used for electrical rotor assembly. It had a TFT + touchscreen attached to the pins nearby the video memory expansion sockets...

Attachments

• 23456.jpg
    Filename
    23456.jpg
    File size
    32.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2652 of 4609, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-02-07, 10:51:

"Point of Sale" - that means cash register from a shop.

"Point of Sale" does not mean cash register! PoS can refer to any system used in shops, which are in some way involved in customer interaction - interactive kiosk systems for example. What you possibly mean is a PoS Terminal, which is the term used for those things you stick your ec card in when paying.

Reply 2653 of 4609, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bearking wrote on 2020-02-06, 22:43:

Got these today... My colleagues at work are upgrading some of their equipment, replacing the old SBCs and industrial computers.

Nice ! reminds me of the Unisys boards made by FIC. Yes a standard eisa to PCI/ISA riser should work fine. I would cut that battery off ASAP

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2654 of 4609, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost got a chance to take home a nice undiscolorated midi tower ATX pc (possibly In-Win enclosure) from the e-waste container at the municipal waste facility today. Just when I was about to take it, I heard footsteps coming towards the container so I left the container with empty hands haha 😁 Such a shame though, I will never know what was inside that beautiful looking pc! Hopefully I have better luck next time.

Reply 2655 of 4609, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-08, 14:58:

Almost got a chance to take home a nice undiscolorated midi tower ATX pc (possibly In-Win enclosure) from the e-waste container at the municipal waste facility today. Just when I was about to take it, I heard footsteps coming towards the container so I left the container with empty hands haha 😁 Such a shame though, I will never know what was inside that beautiful looking pc! Hopefully I have better luck next time.

Two months ago I made the same mistake, now I would go back for sure...

Reply 2656 of 4609, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this qualifies as a “dumpster find,” since I didn’t find it in a dumpster, but I was going through old stuff at my parents house and found my old PowerBook 2400 LapTop sitting in a box in the basement. Adding this to my collection of old hardware, and need to figure out what to do with it. It even has a 3.5 inch external floppy, and I’m pretty sure I still have modem and network PCMCIA cards that are compatible with it. 😁

Actually, I used to have an external SCSI CD-ROM drive for this... must.. find...

Crap! I just tried powering it on, hard drive is spinning, the LCD lights up, but I’m not seeing a smiling Mac face staring at me. 🙁

So everything is powering up, but I’m not seeing video on the LCD panel. Guess I will have to do some trouble shooting. Maybe there is a loose connection?

Oh, I know! I will hook it up to an external monitor when I get home.

Update: Aha! Found a post on another forum which had the same issue. It’s likely a surface mounted fuse that has burned out. I know the laptop is functioning properly because I held down the power key, and it spoke to me:

“Alert! Are you sure you want to power down your computer?”

I pressed Y and then Enter and the laptop turned off.

So, looks like I will need to open it up and see which fuse was blown, and try to work around it.

Attached pics. LCD off vs. on.

Attachments

Reply 2657 of 4609, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bearking wrote on 2020-02-08, 15:12:
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-08, 14:58:

Two months ago I made the same mistake, now I would go back for sure...

Hmm, I would do that if it was easy, but over here the waste facility has quite a lot of personnel walking around and the containers get collected by truck once every 1-3 days.

Reply 2658 of 4609, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-08, 23:51:

Hmm, I would do that if it was easy, but over here the waste facility has quite a lot of personnel walking around and the containers get collected by truck once every 1-3 days.

At work, my cube is right next to the IT/SysEng/Ops guys. I’ve started inquiring about old hardware, and how they dispose of it. It turns out they will be dumping a crap ton of hardware in the coming weeks. Apparently we use a service that rolls up with a truck and loads all the old servers and hardware and disposes it as e-waste. It seems like such a waste, and makes me sad. 🙁

Reply 2659 of 4609, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-08, 21:20:
Update: Aha! Found a post on another forum which had the same issue. It’s likely a surface mounted fuse that has burned out. I k […]
Show full quote

Update: Aha! Found a post on another forum which had the same issue. It’s likely a surface mounted fuse that has burned out. I know the laptop is functioning properly because I held down the power key, and it spoke to me:

“Alert! Are you sure you want to power down your computer?”

I pressed Y and then Enter and the laptop turned off.

So, looks like I will need to open it up and see which fuse was blown, and try to work around it.

There are several fuses on the 2400c motherboard which usually results in a "green light of death" on startup. The fact yours boots sans display says it's not the fuse, but possibly failed backlighting (shine a torch at the LCD) or bad/loose cabling. Reseating the LCD cable isn't too bad - you need to pry up the panel above the keyboard, keyboard itself and wrist rest mount. Try to find a 2400c service manual for the steps.