VOGONS

Reply 1280 of 4609, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Yes, ABIT BP6, ASUS P2B-D, and many more 😀

It could also be a LX board, might explain the Celerons.

Looks like a Supermicro P6DBE, so it's a BX one.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 1281 of 4609, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_6836b.jpg
Filename
IMG_6836b.jpg
File size
111.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Found this nice big beige (<== this part is crucial) ATX case. Inside was a 2002 P4 1.6A setup with badcaps. My s754 stuff suddenly has a home:

IMG_6863b.jpg
Filename
IMG_6863b.jpg
File size
266.58 KiB
Views
File license

Cooling may be a problem, though. Might have to find one of those PCI slot blowers.

Summit Direct is a local PC dealer here in Ontario. I remember finding a P75 minitower with their badge a while ago.

Reply 1282 of 4609, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The hard drive controller in the security camera DVR at work died, so I salvaged a couple potentially useful bits out of it.

20170808_163737.jpg
Filename
20170808_163737.jpg
File size
435.41 KiB
Views
File comment
Drive Caddy
File license

Removable IDE drive bay caddy with a 250GB WD Blue drive inside it. SMART (Via a USB adapter) claims the drive itself is ok, but I don't know how much I'd trust it considering the heavy continuous load it's been under for the past several years. At the very least I can use the bay and caddy in a future vintage build.

20170808_164012.jpg
Filename
20170808_164012.jpg
File size
364.71 KiB
Views
File comment
CF IDE Adapter
File license

IDE to Compact Flash adapter. It has no Master/Slave jumpers on it so I presume it's hard-wired to either Cable Select or Slave (It was on the same IDE channel as the hard drive, which always showed up as Master during the power-on test). I'll have to make a new power cable for it since the current one ends in a proprietary connector. I might need a little help wiring up the new connector though, because according to my multimeter the three ground wires are not connected. I presume they will be when a card is inserted though, correct? If so, then I should be able to just join two of the ground wires together when I replace the connector with a standard Molex plug, right?

As for the rest of the DVR, the electronics that control the cameras still work, it's just not able to record video under its own power anymore. This is no real big deal though since I can set it up to stream the video via LAN to another system for recording.

Reply 1283 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a dumpster find per say, but according to the lady I just picked this up from this 1995 Packard Bell 812CD was headed for the scrapper until she googled it and saw my youtube video on the other one I pulled out of the garbage a while back. She got in contact with me earlier in the week and I just went to go meet her today since she also happened to live in the same area! 😁

Can't believe it, this is just another example of how these computers find me rather than I find them. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp7hi.jpg

The computer came with the keyboard, monitor, speakers, speaker power adapter and surge protector. She also said if she finds the mouse she will let me know. 😁

Judging by the screen saver I'd say it was last used in 1999. 🤣
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8fk.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8je.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8lz.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8no.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8kd.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1284 of 4609, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found an Acer G246HL 24" fullHD monitor. Nothing too exiting, but works fine as my secondary monitor. Main monitor is also 24", and secondary was 19" before this.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 1285 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

Found an Acer G246HL 24" fullHD monitor. Nothing too exiting, but works fine as my secondary monitor. Main monitor is also 24", and secondary was 19" before this.

Who throws out a 24" monitor?

And it sounds like it's time for you to try out triple monitor

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1286 of 4609, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Aideka wrote:

I kinda have a triple monitor setup already, one "monitor" is a 42" TV, but that is on a separate table. My computing table is so small that I can't fit 3 monitors here no matter what. That 42" TV was a dumpster find too, by the way, only problem is that it's missing the stand, so I just put rubber pieces under it so it doesn't move around the table, and put it at a slight angle against the wall 😁.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 1287 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Aideka wrote:

I kinda have a triple monitor setup already, one "monitor" is a 42" TV, but that is on a separate table. My computing table is so small that I can't fit 3 monitors here no matter what. That 42" TV was a dumpster find too, by the way, only problem is that it's missing the stand, so I just put rubber pieces under it so it doesn't move around the table, and put it at a slight angle against the wall 😁.

You can buy universal stands that screw into the vesa mount.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1288 of 4609, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know about the stands, but locally they cost like 70€ a piece. That is somewhere around 70€ more than I would want to pay for a stand I don't really need 😁. I do have a wallmount for the TV, but it's old and heavy, and my walls aren't exactly great, being made of drywall.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 1289 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

I know about the stands, but locally they cost like 70€ a piece. That is somewhere around 70€ more than I would want to pay for a stand I don't really need 😁. I do have a wallmount for the TV, but it's old and heavy, and my walls aren't exactly great, being made of drywall.

Holy sh*t, that's a ripoff. I swear i've seen them for 20-30 USD online

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1290 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this setup from craigslist for free:

6YOYnXxm.jpg 7oTodjHm.jpg

My very first new case I ever had was this case for Xmas 2001. I happily put my Asus P3B-F and P2-450 (@600) and it was a very happy xmas.

Now I have the case again. Inside was a 1.2ghz AMD chip in an MSI K7T turbo2 with blown caps. A diamond viper 2, 10/100 3com and some ess pci modem.

Well worth it imho!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1291 of 4609, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was tasked to recycle all my family's computers they've had since the turn of the millennium. One of the Compaq systems apparently has a K6-2/400. Pretty neat stuff. I haven't cracked them open, but once I do, I'll post some pictures. There's also a 486 tower in there somewhere that's had something sticky spilled all over the front. Yuck.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1293 of 4609, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i got some goodies.
First i bought for equivalent of US$5 this junk 286 motherboard, one Trident TVGA8900D and one ISA Serial,Floppy,IDE and Parallel port controller.
I have 0 hope of salvaging it because it seems to be missing a lot of ICs(maybe ram chips) and there is no information about the board, and it seems to have a propietary power connector.
luiORdZl.jpg
I also got in a lot of AGP cards one TNT2(it isn't on the pic because i'm currently removing all corrosion and cleaning the board) , TNT2 M64, Voodoo 3 3000(it need to be cleaned and the d sub connector has a broken thing that i forgot the name that you screw the cable in, and i will probably add one 40mm to help cool this one)
LgNfbO4l.jpg

I also got this celeron 333 to pair with the TNT2 M64.
YIDBUwvl.jpg

And the 286 Motherboard i took a lot of pictures but i didn't bother posting here so if you wanna see more i have it on imgur http://imgur.com/a/P0OZ6

Reply 1294 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
Well i got some goodies. First i bought for equivalent of US$5 this junk 286 motherboard, one Trident TVGA8900D and one ISA Seri […]
Show full quote

Well i got some goodies.
First i bought for equivalent of US$5 this junk 286 motherboard, one Trident TVGA8900D and one ISA Serial,Floppy,IDE and Parallel port controller.
I have 0 hope of salvaging it because it seems to be missing a lot of ICs(maybe ram chips) and there is no information about the board, and it seems to have a propietary power connector.
luiORdZl.jpg
I also got in a lot of AGP cards one TNT2(it isn't on the pic because i'm currently removing all corrosion and cleaning the board) , TNT2 M64, Voodoo 3 3000(it need to be cleaned and the d sub connector has a broken thing that i forgot the name that you screw the cable in, and i will probably add one 40mm to help cool this one)
LgNfbO4l.jpg

YIDBUwvl.jpg

And the 286 Motherboard i took a lot of pictures but i didn't bother posting here so if you wanna see more i have it on imgur http://imgur.com/a/P0OZ6

Toss that PoS Trident. It's literally useless. It gets 5FPS in DOOM. It will bottleneck a 386 🤣

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1295 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can be used on an XT PC ^^

There are far worse cards such as Oak video card. They could litterally slow down an 8088 😮

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1296 of 4609, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Toss that PoS Trident. It's literally useless. It gets 5FPS in DOOM. It will bottleneck a 386 🤣

Why? it can be used on a 286 or 8086, and also can be use a test card.

Reply 1297 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
Well i got some goodies. First i bought for equivalent of US$5 this junk 286 motherboard, one Trident TVGA8900D and one ISA Seri […]
Show full quote

Well i got some goodies.
[snip]
[snip]

[snip]

pls fix ur photos my scroll wheel just ran a marathon

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1298 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I thought most 286 machines lacked 16-bit ISA slots?

I would also never use such an unreliable brand of video cards as a test card. I would use something with a better reputation.

Reply 1299 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
.legaCy wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I thought most 286 machines lacked 16-bit ISA slots?

I would also never use such an unreliable brand of video cards as a test card. I would use something with a better reputation.

I haven't seen any 286 machines with just 8 bit ISA slots. Hell, even the IBM AT had 16 bit slots.

Also, in my book I do not toss anything that old that still works. Doesn't matter if it's a crappy brand like Trident. In fact their 8900 chipsets could be used in XT machines with only 8 bit slots.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA