VOGONS

Reply 240 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What the heck happened in this thread? Anyways... Found this eMachines T3065 Athlon XP-based system over at the dump today, along with a Soyo-branded 17" LCD monitor that I didn't notice had a crack in the panel until I got home.

CNtOWTU.jpg

66Yysrx.jpg

I found it kinda funny how the eMachines emblem on the front of the case is missing, considering I actually have a use for this case. Here's a shot of the insides:

VI39LQW.jpg

The motherboard is an FIC AU31 with an nForce2 chipset. It did come with a hard drive caddy (no hard drive though), but I removed it because A. it was kinda bent, and B. it was covered in this yellow greasy substance. Interestingly enough, the CMOS battery is also missing. I did go ahead and briefly try to see if the motherboard and Bestec ATX-300-12E power supply came alive or went bang when I pressed the power button. They did seem to want to work, but the PSU was making this hissing noise whenever the system wasn't on.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 241 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those Bestec supplies are notorious hardware killers. I'm not surprised it's causing issues.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 243 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

I did go ahead and briefly try to see if the motherboard and Bestec ATX-300-12E power supply came alive or went bang when I pressed the power button. They did seem to want to work, but the PSU was making this hissing noise whenever the system wasn't on.

One of the most common problems with those is in the +5vsb which is likely what you would be hearing with the system off.
That's also IIRC the Bestec problem that blows motherboard chipsets.
I don't do Bestec but there are a number of threads about fixing them up over at badcaps.net.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 244 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a little looking. The 300W unit may not be as susceptible to 5V SB overvoltage. Still pretty crappy, though, with shitty caps and shitty transient suppression. Plus, who knows what kind of protection has been built into the platform as the 250W had almost none.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 245 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I did a little looking. The 300W unit may not be as susceptible to 5V SB overvoltage. Still pretty crappy, though, with shitty caps and shitty transient suppression. Plus, who knows what kind of protection has been built into the platform as the 250W had almost none.

There were different revisions and I think it was the last (ATX-xxx-12Z) that finally fixed that problem.
There were 1 or 2 people at BCN that actually sought out Bestecs so they could mod them into something decent.
Not me. - I keep a pallet in the back where I put things for the scrap metal guy and that's where I put Bestecs.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26747
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51254
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8878
I really like the style of case Sutekh94 scored though.
Those have always looked attractive to me.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 247 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

I really like the style of case Sutekh94 scored though.
Those have always looked attractive to me.

I've always liked these eMachines cases, not just because of their style, but because they seem to have pretty good build quality. I'd say it's better than some of the cheaper (<$50) cases you can find on places like Newegg.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 248 of 4609, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Derped around local flea market and nearby entry found ruined package stuffed with chips,they were stacked one at other,i take only one pair because saw 80 marking at one of em and.

it turned into Soviet z80 clone,meet the 80H-CPU PLATAN
MvHGPSul.jpg

joy came after i rotate it to look at second and it turned into Zilog Z-80
yL02ZWrl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 249 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Derped around local flea market and nearby entry found ruined package stuffed with chips,they were stacked one at other,i take o […]
Show full quote

Derped around local flea market and nearby entry found ruined package stuffed with chips,they were stacked one at other,i take only one pair because saw 80 marking at one of em and.

[...]

sweet! nice find - now you can build your own 8-bit computer 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 250 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:
Derped around local flea market and nearby entry found ruined package stuffed with chips,they were stacked one at other,i take o […]
Show full quote

MvHGPSul.jpg

yL02ZWrl.jpg

You have very good hawk-eyes, cheers! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 251 of 4609, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

sweet! nice find - now you can build your own 8-bit computer 😀

Thanks,any success with crafting ZX like anyone here?

Tetrium wrote:

You have very good hawk-eyes, cheers! 😁

One more thanks 😊

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 252 of 4609, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:
What the heck happened in this thread? Anyways... Found this eMachines T3065 Athlon XP-based system over at the dump today, al […]
Show full quote

What the heck happened in this thread? Anyways... Found this eMachines T3065 Athlon XP-based system over at the dump today, along with a Soyo-branded 17" LCD monitor that I didn't notice had a crack in the panel until I got home.

CNtOWTU.jpg

66Yysrx.jpg

Thank you from bringing this thread back on track!

I've been quite tempted to rebuild my 2004\2007 computer that was based on a Athlon XP 2700+ and a Asus A7N8X-X. I still have all the original parts aside from the case and hard drive. That computer gave me some really good gaming\mIRC\msn\teamspeak\HI5 times. Today i don't even have facebook..
I'm just wondering what type of data medium i should use, if a sata hard drive with IDE converter, a SSD with IDE converter or if a plain old IDE hard drive.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 253 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:

I've been quite tempted to rebuild my 2004\2007 computer that was based on a Athlon XP 2700+ and a Asus A7N8X-X. I still have all the original parts aside from the case and hard drive. That computer gave me some really good gaming\mIRC\msn\teamspeak\HI5 times. Today i don't even have facebook..
I'm just wondering what type of data medium i should use, if a sata hard drive with IDE converter, a SSD with IDE converter or if a plain old IDE hard drive.

In my XP builds of late, I've found that a clean install with just the required updates from Windows Update, are incredibly responsive on standard HDDs. Typically 30 second or less boot time and <150MB of used RAM after a clean boot. I try to avoid any optional MS updates and antivirus because they end up bloating the system and using lots of RAM. If you skip A/V, just don't use the machine as your daily web and email browser. There are other protections that are more than enough for such a system--Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Cryptoprevent, for example.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 254 of 4609, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like using bootable pci SATA cards and new SATA hard drives.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 255 of 4609, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a GeForce4 MX440 64MB AGP card, a Syntax 1.3GigaPlus board, a beige DVD-RW IDE drive, and some DDR RAM for the Syntax board. When I'm done with getting the Syntax board working again I'll make a post in the Specs section, I have a very interesting piece of furniture standing in for the case.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 256 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I needed a few odd components for a project (namely VGA D-sub connectors) so I went digging through a pile of video cards I'd spotted earlier in the week. I grabbed a few generic Radeons and GeForces and also these two:

matrox-ati-1-sized.png
Filename
matrox-ati-1-sized.png
File size
979.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
matrox-ati-2-sized.png
Filename
matrox-ati-2-sized.png
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license

Those would be an ATI Mach 64 PCI with upgraded RAM, and some sort of Matrox dual-DVI PCIe card, which is interesting because I didn't know Matrox were still around let alone making new stuff into the PCIe era. No idea what chipset it is.

Unfortunately you don't have to be too observant to spot the problem - someone has cut the PCI(e) headers off to recycle for gold already. A sad end to two potentially neat gfx cards, but what can you do. They will at least live on as parts for my crazy projects.

...Unless someone wants to try to take a stab at grafting a new header onto them. 😜 Or maybe a PC/104-plus conversion? It's theoretically possible!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 257 of 4609, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last Saturday I rescued a Dell Dimension 4100 from the local e-waste center that I visit occasionally. They don't seem to mind me taking stuff... I think.

tACiUV2l.jpg

P3 866MHz, Nvidia Geforce 2 MX, Sound Blaster Live Value. It had no hard drive so I plugged one of my spares in and did a fresh install of Win98SE + unofficial service pack 3. Then I got the drivers for everything and got this USB Wi-Fi stick working with it. I'm making this post on that computer right now.

It's gonna be a great little 1998-2002 gaming rig. Only thing it's missing is an ISA port, so that pretty much rules out most DOS games sadly. (And I can't seem to get the SB16 emulation working on the Live)

Unfortunately there was a sign at the e-waste center stating that they are to close down on the 29th. Turns out, recycling stuff is actually really expensive. Another place a couple miles north closed down last year for the same reason. Are people just gonna start throwing their junk in the trash now? Hope not.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 258 of 4609, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooh, that brings back memories - I used to have two Dell Dimension PIII systems almost exactly like that.

ElementalChaos wrote:

It had no hard drive so I plugged one of my spares in and did a fresh install of Win98SE + unofficial service pack 3.

What is the unofficial SP3 for Win98? I haven't heard of that. What sort of stuff does it have in it?

ElementalChaos wrote:

Only thing it's missing is an ISA port, so that pretty much rules out most DOS games sadly. (And I can't seem to get the SB16 emulation working on the Live)

Funny thing, my machines both had one or two ISA ports each, and a built-in Yamaha DS-XG (or something...) sound board that had 100% perfect Sound Blaster 16 + OPL3 emulation.

ElementalChaos wrote:

Turns out, recycling stuff is actually really expensive.

You better believe it. That's why governments have to subsidize it to make it work - people don't want it enough for companies to jump in, innovate, compete, and drive the price down.

ElementalChaos wrote:

Are people just gonna start throwing their junk in the trash now?

Yes. Unfortunately.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 259 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the HDD that came with my Packard Bell Multimedia C110. It was given me by a friend who would've otherwise taken it to the dump. 1GB Seagate ST51080A. I ran SpinRite on it and it is completely healthy. Not even a hint of a bad sector. It is before the time of SMART though, so I have no idea of power on hours or other health stats.

ST51080A.jpg
Filename
ST51080A.jpg
File size
968.87 KiB
Views
File license

And this is a Genoa 8500VL. I don't even remember this card, but it was in my bedroom at my parents house, so I know I owned it. My sister is going through the old bedroom and cleaning stuff out. She mailed me all of my old games, manuals, hint books and hardware. It was a great gift to have all these with me again after over 20 years.

genoa8500vl.jpg
Filename
genoa8500vl.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File comment
Genoa 8500VL
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks