VOGONS

Reply 2600 of 4609, by Colder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

It was being thrown away, not purchased. Welcome newbie.

Too bad it's BS. That Compaq was on Craigslist for two weeks for 195$. I know because I was eyeing it for a while too.
If you want to lie about something at least do it better. 😁 😉
Some people.

Reply 2601 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Colder wrote:
Too bad it's BS. That Compaq was on Craigslist for two weeks for 195$. I know because I was eyeing it for a while too. If you wa […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

It was being thrown away, not purchased. Welcome newbie.

Too bad it's BS. That Compaq was on Craigslist for two weeks for 195$. I know because I was eyeing it for a while too.
If you want to lie about something at least do it better. 😁 😉
Some people.

Show me the ad, let me guess, it is gone..

Nice trolling attempt.

Edit: I'll do you one better and show you the original place the machines I got came from.. here's all the rest. Feel free to try to find those pictures anywhere on the web that I didn't post previously. Hint: Blue painter's tape = scheduled to be thrown away. If you claim this is false, I'll take a picture of me standing in that room on the 26th when I return to work after Christmas. 😘 Pathological lying isn't cool and won't earn you "credit" here.. it is a serious disorder and you should probably seek help. You may have seen something similar online, but it isn't these and I can 100% prove it.

Y6Yzufch.jpg

uf9OffYh.jpg

AoFjzrPh.jpg

8jWgQwqh.jpg

tCiG9alh.jpg

5rO77hOh.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-12-24, 12:06. Edited 3 times in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2602 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
wiretap wrote:

I'll give you a hint, it was being thrown away at my place of work, and I can tell you the entire history of the machines.

Still he is kind of right then, as this thread is about dumpster finds.

I posted stuff that was getting thrown away at my (former) place of work on literally the first page of this thread. It's the same end result, regardless of whether you have to dig away any half-eaten sandwich wrappers to get it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2603 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's really the best way to find free stuff. It really helps to know people and ask to be notified when computers / servers / IT gear is being thrown out. I have several people that notify me when something goes to the dumpster or scrap bin at a few different businesses around town. 95% of it truly is garbage or unwanted, but every once in a while you get something good.

My Github

Reply 2604 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the proverbial dumpster for the most part and MANY of us go with that definition in this thread. Just look at previous posts. Either way, incredible systems saved by wiretap. I'm jelly, but I have no room for those racks anyway. Glad he saved them.

My question to you wiretap is did you grab all of that or just what you originally posted. If you didn't grab it all was it because you shared it with coworkers or you only wanted certain pieces?

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-12-25, 09:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2605 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's far too much for me to save that gets thrown away every year. I would basically need a warehouse.

Last edited by wiretap on 2023-07-31, 16:44. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 2607 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're just used for tape backups of the database and OS. They have an extremely high failure rate though.. I plan on replacing them with a SCSI-->CF drive.

My Github

Reply 2608 of 4609, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need another server in my house for my retro machines to act as a Dial-up Server and Ethernet connection to the network for systems that have a network card installed. I had a Dell PowerEdge 6300 server at one point in time until the PSUs stopped working back in late 2013 that was used as a pfSense firewall.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2609 of 4609, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 'supplier' of retro HW saw something lying in the e-waste bin from the corner of his eye at a recycling center so he grabbed it.
It's illegal to do this over here but he knows the people who work there 😀

Guess these were used to plow a field of construct a building with.
Let the cleaning and restoration begin!

TGaaJdrl.jpg

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 2610 of 4609, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those will clean off rather nicely.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2611 of 4609, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope they still work. One is missing the psu but the 5160 holds an IBM EGA card it seems.
There is quite some corrosion too.

Reply 2612 of 4609, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of them looks to still have a floppy disk in its drive... As if those were thrown out in a hurry?

Either way I'm confident that the ST-506/412 in the 5160 might still work, those old Seagate hard drives were built like tanks.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2613 of 4609, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't got the time to check it out yet. I've been busy with installing a P2 laptop, respraying an AT case, restoring my classic telescopes etc... This weekend I hope to at least clean them.

I hope the HD works since I need one for my 5162 restoration. Then I can use xt-ide in this one. Plans plans plans IF they still work.... Probably will need new caps anyway.

Nice find he did though!

Reply 2614 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

I can tell you the entire history of the machines..

yes please! Well not the entire history but brief backstory of what they did would be nice.
Guessing by the age of all the equipment in that rack they were decommissioned years ago and only getting around to scrapping them now?

Reply 2615 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2019-12-27, 16:42:
wiretap wrote:

I can tell you the entire history of the machines..

yes please! Well not the entire history but brief backstory of what they did would be nice.
Guessing by the age of all the equipment in that rack they were decommissioned years ago and only getting around to scrapping them now?

oyOkQcwl.jpg

euWj3XLl.jpg

fvpFbHel.jpg

B7bAIbzl.jpg

BBzKH6Bl.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2023-07-31, 16:43. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 2617 of 4609, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea the uptime and stability is unbelievable. Several hosts in production have been up for years performing their function with no crashes/halts/reboots. Definitely the highest quality machines and OS I have used.

My Github

Reply 2618 of 4609, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2019-12-28, 01:29:

Yea the uptime and stability is unbelievable. Several hosts in production have been up for years performing their function with no crashes/halts/reboots. Definitely the highest quality machines and OS I have used.

Back in the days when Netscape Server Suite was "THE" thing for webdev, Alpha reigned absolute supreme.
We ran NT on a dual PPro box, and later brought in an Alpha box to cover all our shoddy asses in production release.
While the PPro box stuttered, crashed, and/or unstable with high traffic like drunken donkey, the Alpha rolled like a mercedes.

Later happened to take a processor design 101 from an Alpha architect guy who also worked for Intel.
The stories he spilled in class for arousement were the only things I still remember.

IMHO, Alpha is one of the absolute gems in CPU history for sure.

Last edited by brownk on 2019-12-28, 12:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2619 of 4609, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Murugan wrote on 2019-12-24, 15:48:
My 'supplier' of retro HW saw something lying in the e-waste bin from the corner of his eye at a recycling center so he grabbed […]
Show full quote

My 'supplier' of retro HW saw something lying in the e-waste bin from the corner of his eye at a recycling center so he grabbed it.
It's illegal to do this over here but he knows the people who work there 😀

Guess these were used to plow a field of construct a building with.
Let the cleaning and restoration begin!

TGaaJdrl.jpg

Oh, great find! Post some pictures of the insides please...