VOGONS

Reply 3580 of 4609, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:16:
Jesus wut happened to this board "The somewhat warped Asus X38 board", looks like extreme intel stock cooler bending... […]
Show full quote

Jesus wut happened to this board "The somewhat warped Asus X38 board", looks like extreme intel stock cooler bending...

AIHqSwu.jpg
ivEbOyv.jpg
zje8K2H.jpg
hKhbYr1.jpg
UcH2nvU.jpg

Got some stuff over the last months... That keyboard is great is 110% brand new, as is terminal one with telephone jack, instead PS/2. The blue V II is great to find. Not sure how valuable the Wave Blaster CT1900 is compared to WB II CT1910.

Never mind the nice, if more pedestrian other goodies, but you found cherry mx black kb, a V2 AND a wave blaster module in the garbage?
Eff me...

I like jumpers.

Reply 3581 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:22:
Jesus wut happened to this board "The somewhat warped Asus X38 board", looks like extreme intel stock cooler bending... […]
Show full quote

Jesus wut happened to this board "The somewhat warped Asus X38 board", looks like extreme intel stock cooler bending...

AIHqSwu.jpg
ivEbOyv.jpg
zje8K2H.jpg
hKhbYr1.jpg
UcH2nvU.jpg

Got some stuff over the last months... That keyboard is great is 110% brand new, as is terminal one with telephone jack, instead PS/2. The blue V II is great to find. Not sure how valuable the Wave Blaster CT1900 is compared to WB II CT1910.

Never mind the nice, if more pedestrian other goodies, but you found cherry mx black kb, a V2 AND a wave blaster module in the garbage?
Eff me...

Cant get the damn things to upload them properly with better quality, maybe next time... Well the thread is called dumpster.. Found the stuff from local adds, ppl that think these things are old and garbage, and got them all for pocket change as usual... Need only to make the keyboard to work with PS/2 and will use it. I have another Cherry MX Black KB, Cherry G80-1000, and some garbage Chicony, that has Cherry MX Blue... At some point i will use these Blues to some better chassis, as the chicony one sucks hard is cheap af...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3582 of 4609, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:38:

Found the stuff from local adds, ppl that think these things are old and garbage, and got them all for pocket change as usual...

OK, the principle is familiar and has led to some nicer additions to the heap. Like, at least one Slot 1 system i picked up somewhere.
But nothing close the a V2 at today's value and it's getting rare.
I guess Germans or Berliners are simply too greedy. 😉
I recently found a Focus keyboard with Alps white switches - that thing is nice!

I like jumpers.

Reply 3583 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:45:
OK, the principle is familiar and has led to some nicer additions to the heap. Like, at least one Slot 1 system i picked up some […]
Show full quote

Found the stuff from local adds, ppl that think these things are old and garbage, and got them all for pocket change as usual...

OK, the principle is familiar and has led to some nicer additions to the heap. Like, at least one Slot 1 system i picked up somewhere.
But nothing close the a V2 at today's value and it's getting rare.
I guess Germans or Berliners are simply too greedy. 😉
I recently found a Focus keyboard with Alps white switches - that thing is nice!

Yes good some ppl dont have a clue abour old HW stuff, otherwise ebay here i come and bankrupt fast..
Yes that blue and well preserved V II is a great found, was looking for one from many years, as i got some years ago SLI kit of 2 cards, but both in very bad condition...
Everyone is greedy these days... The prices of Voodoo V 5500 are insane, good for me i have sh*t load of Diamond Stealth 3D nVIDIA NV1 cards brand new, i can sell some and buy an used V5...
Yes Focus keyboards are very nice. Stil i prefer to get my hands on something even more premium such as NorthGate Omnikey 101 or Zenith Data Systems but these damn ALPS keyboards are rare AF in here, while IBM Model M is way more common, Cherry MX is also a bit not very common. Most mechanical keyboards i see local are some agrbage ALPS chinese fakes, or if more lucky IBM Model M, and very rare Cherry MX ones. Model F is also rare as hell, ALPS premium brands totally rare...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3584 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

AIHqSwu.jpg
ivEbOyv.jpg
zje8K2H.jpg
hKhbYr1.jpg
UcH2nvU.jpg

Eff me...

Cant get the damn things to upload them properly with better quality, maybe next time... Well the thread is called dumpster.. Found the stuff from local adds, ppl that think these things are old and garbage, and got them all for pocket change as usual... Need only to make the keyboard to work with PS/2 and will use it. I have another Cherry MX Black KB, Cherry G80-1000, and some garbage Chicony, that has Cherry MX Blue... At some point i will use these Blues to some better chassis, as the chicony one sucks hard is cheap af...

Which means your reply belongs in this thread Bought these (retro) hardware today
The "I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread" is about finding stuff on the street. And I mean literally as garbage on the streets with someone having physically thrown it in the garbage.

If you got it through second hand adds or a second hand shop, you bought it.

Your items were cheap, but they weren't dumpster finds.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term "dumpster diving"?
Because the whole point of this thread is about stuff you found while dumpsterdiving. Or perhaps found on the street by accident like the 19in monitor I found last week while walking home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3585 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-29, 07:24:
Which means your reply belongs in this thread Bought these (retro) hardware today The "I recently found this hardware, AKA the D […]
Show full quote

Eff me...

Which means your reply belongs in this thread Bought these (retro) hardware today
The "I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread" is about finding stuff on the street. And I mean literally as garbage on the streets with someone having physically thrown it in the garbage.

Because the whole point of this thread is about stuff you found while dumpsterdiving. Or perhaps found on the street by accident like the 19in monitor I found last week while walking home.

Well guess i forgot there was seperate threads about these things.. I thought this thread here was the one you did link, my bad...

Abput dumpsters, well i did found only 1 dead Pentium III DELL Latitude.. And my grandma did find some crap LGA 775 office pc near the dumpster, the thing was perfectly fine, but the people that did trow it on the garbage did think is dead, as the HDD was causing the system to fail to post, remove it and was posting fine... But outside of these 2 cases never saw anything on the dumpster sadly... I heard the story about the dumpster and the box full with 3Dfx Voodoo 5 6000... I heard ppl in the 2000 and 2002 years did trow alot of precious HW such as Pentium Pro and socket 8 systems boards and processors, Voodoo cards, ISA cards such as AWE64 Gold and other stuff it is sad...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3586 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-29, 08:00:
Which means your reply belongs in this thread Bought these (retro) hardware today The "I recently found this hardware, AKA the D […]
Show full quote

Well guess i forgot there was seperate threads about these things.. I thought this thread here was the one you did link, my bad...

Abput dumpsters, well i did found only 1 dead Pentium III DELL Latitude.. And my grandma did find some crap LGA 775 office pc near the dumpster, the thing was perfectly fine, but the people that did trow it on the garbage did think is dead, as the HDD was causing the system to fail to post, remove it and was posting fine... But outside of these 2 cases never saw anything on the dumpster sadly... I heard the story about the dumpster and the box full with 3Dfx Voodoo 5 6000... I heard ppl in the 2000 and 2002 years did trow alot of precious HW such as Pentium Pro and socket 8 systems boards and processors, Voodoo cards, ISA cards such as AWE64 Gold and other stuff it is sad...

People have found some amazing stuff in the dumpster, including me.
Actually, at first all my stuff was from dumpsterdiving. Later I started buying stuff from the net and other places mostly to fill in the gaps and because these were still good deals (and because this was the best way to find physical copies of games, I could do both at the same time).

Report spammers here!

Reply 3587 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-29, 09:59:
Show full quote

Actually, at first all my stuff was from dumpsterdiving. Later I started buying stuff from the net and other places mostly to fill in the gaps and because these were still good deals (and because this was the best way to find physical copies of games, I could do both at the same time).

I forgot about these they are from the "garbage" scrap the ppl said these parts are garbage, so i consider them for this thread... Forgot about this pictire, did go to buy some old parts such as this 939 mobo, and Radeon HD 2900XT and some nVIDIA NV1 cards and look for others old and retro stuff. And then the ppl there told me they have garbage computers for scrap in there too, i did go and found some good stuff like these 2 Tualatin boards and the 2 mechanical keyboards... (only the black 939 mobo i did pay, rest is scrap garbage)
Well i never find anything near dumpsters.. There is not even thrift stores in here, only 1 and saw 1 time some old crap socket 7 system, i got for 2.5 euro...

Attachments

• 20210308_180821.jpg
    Filename
    20210308_180821.jpg
    File size
    580.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3588 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-29, 12:11:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-29, 09:59:

I forgot about these they are from the "garbage" scrap the ppl said these parts are garbage, so i consider them for this thread... Forgot about this pictire, did go to buy some old parts such as this 939 mobo, and Radeon HD 2900XT and some nVIDIA NV1 cards and look for others old and retro stuff. And then the ppl there told me they have garbage computers for scrap in there too, i did go and found some good stuff like these 2 Tualatin boards and the 2 mechanical keyboards... (only the black 939 mobo i did pay, rest is scrap garbage)
Well i never find anything near dumpsters.. There is not even thrift stores in here, only 1 and saw 1 time some old crap socket 7 system, i got for 2.5 euro...

Finding something at the dumpster is really rare. Back when I was dumpsterdiving I had to cycle 6 to 8 hours for a 50% chance to find -something-! And this something could be as trivial as just a keyboard with 3 keys missing or a motherboard box with only one antistatic bag in it -_-
But once or twice I'd hit a jackpot like 3 computers which I had to take apart in situ and manage what to bring and what to leave behind. Often I'd take the most prettiest case and try to gently jam some extra stuff in there. I'd even bring extra packaging mats like antistatic bags, bubble wrap or even certain types of clothing to cushion the more delicate parts. Most of the time I'd find something it was either a PC that already ahd some of its parts looted or some random computer stuff like for instance floppy disks.
I found surprisingly few games btw while dumpsterdiving.
There's only so much you can take on a bike 😋so often I had to make choices.

Most of the time it's much easier to find someone selling something for peanuts then finding something on the streets for 100% free, but the kick of actually finding a good lot at the trash makes it all the more memorable 😋

These days I don't dumpsterdive that hardcore anymore. I'm more of an opportunist now I think 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 3589 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-29, 13:18:
Finding something at the dumpster is really rare. Back when I was dumpsterdiving I had to cycle 6 to 8 hours for a 50% chance to […]
Show full quote

Finding something at the dumpster is really rare. Back when I was dumpsterdiving I had to cycle 6 to 8 hours for a 50% chance to find -something-! And this something could be as trivial as just a keyboard with 3 keys missing or a motherboard box with only one antistatic bag in it -_-
But once or twice I'd hit a jackpot like 3 computers which I had to take apart in situ and manage what to bring and what to leave behind. Often I'd take the most prettiest case and try to gently jam some extra stuff in there. I'd even bring extra packaging mats like antistatic bags, bubble wrap or even certain types of clothing to cushion the more delicate parts. Most of the time I'd find something it was either a PC that already ahd some of its parts looted or some random computer stuff like for instance floppy disks.

Most of the time it's much easier to find someone selling something for peanuts then finding something on the streets for 100% free, but the kick of actually finding a good lot at the trash makes it all the more memorable 😋

These days I don't dumpsterdive that hardcore anymore. I'm more of an opportunist now I think 😜

Well i also use bike most of the time when i go to buy something, or get a giveaway stuff that someone dont need and call it garbage (it really piss me off when ppl say old computers and stuff are garbage...) , never saw anything good, only broken office chairs (ofc i did salvage the wheels as they are useful, and gas lift cylinder if is any good), some times i find nice brend new boxes of HW stuff such as CPU box, motherboard, GPU, PSU ect, and i collect that too, as they are always useful to store inside new retro parts i find and buy. I also bring bubble wrap, antistatic bags, some big MB box and stuff everything inside if possible, in order to prevend scratches and nasty damage to the precious parts..

But some times things does not go so smoothly. ne time i did go to buy the entire PC of a guy, only cuz of the ABIT board and the CPU, was without bike on foot. When we did meet, that moron said that he did leave the case for himself, as he did need it (he did not told me that before we meet), so i was without nothing, no bag, no backpack, nothing, did carry literally the damn parts on my hands, stuffed the ram inside my pocket, the GPU on the back pocket, then did look where i can find a box near dumpster or something to use... Jesus some ppl are so ignorant... This is why now i carry MB box with me, unless i have to carry many things back, then i bring only some bubble wrap to put between the parts... Best i found when u dont have anything near u, and u happen to buy or find some parts use AD brochure of some store, as replacement for the bubble wrap it works great...

Last time i did go with bike for a giveaway socket 7 whole PC, the plan was to go and strip down all parts into my backpack, and trow the case, as they usually are rusted and nasty, and does not worth to be saved. But that time the case was perfect, no yellow, no rust, no crap, only some clean dust, not even nasty, so i did grab the damn case and put it on my hand while riding the bike, worked quite well. But i plan to make some backpack that can carry PCs, like the ones DFI used to sell with LanParty boards...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3590 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-29, 13:54:
Well i also use bike most of the time when i go to buy something, or get a giveaway stuff that someone dont need and call it ga […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-29, 13:18:
Finding something at the dumpster is really rare. Back when I was dumpsterdiving I had to cycle 6 to 8 hours for a 50% chance to […]
Show full quote

Well i also use bike most of the time when i go to buy something, or get a giveaway stuff that someone dont need and call it garbage (it really piss me off when ppl say old computers and stuff are garbage...) , never saw anything good, only broken office chairs (ofc i did salvage the wheels as they are useful, and gas lift cylinder if is any good), some times i find nice brend new boxes of HW stuff such as CPU box, motherboard, GPU, PSU ect, and i collect that too, as they are always useful to store inside new retro parts i find and buy. I also bring bubble wrap, antistatic bags, some big MB box and stuff everything inside if possible, in order to prevend scratches and nasty damage to the precious parts..

But some times things does not go so smoothly. ne time i did go to buy the entire PC of a guy, only cuz of the ABIT board and the CPU, was without bike on foot. When we did meet, that moron said that he did leave the case for himself, as he did need it (he did not told me that before we meet), so i was without nothing, no bag, no backpack, nothing, did carry literally the damn parts on my hands, stuffed the ram inside my pocket, the GPU on the back pocket, then did look where i can find a box near dumpster or something to use... Jesus some ppl are so ignorant... This is why now i carry MB box with me, unless i have to carry many things back, then i bring only some bubble wrap to put between the parts... Best i found when u dont have anything near u, and u happen to buy or find some parts use AD brochure of some store, as replacement for the bubble wrap it works great...

Last time i did go with bike for a giveaway socket 7 whole PC, the plan was to go and strip down all parts into my backpack, and trow the case, as they usually are rusted and nasty, and does not worth to be saved. But that time the case was perfect, no yellow, no rust, no crap, only some clean dust, not even nasty, so i did grab the damn case and put it on my hand while riding the bike, worked quite well. But i plan to make some backpack that can carry PCs, like the ones DFI used to sell with LanParty boards...

This is why I'll always carry a pink motherboard sized bubble envelope stuffed with some extra packaging materials (mostly ESD bags) whenever I go someplace where I can expect to find (or purchase) some parts. Even if I'm just picking up a case, there's always the chance that some smalltalk will commence which will result in my wallet being lighter and my pockets and backpack heavier than expected 😋
I've had it happen multiple times when I go buy one item, but end up buying 5 items and getting some free stuff in the mix as well. At one time we started talking about Pentium Pros (I can't reemember who it was exactly) and he ended up selling me a PPro for gold value on the condition that I would not let the CPU be smelted (yes I still got that CPU).

So whatever reason, I sometimes end up finding more than I expected. And I know what it's like having to leave some stuff behind simply because my carrying capacity wasn't sufficient :'(

Yes I've ridden my bike with PC cases on the steering wheel. Even with a damn CRT monitor on the steering wheel good thing the police never saw me xD

It was definitely very adventurous. It's kinda unfortunate those days are gone here now.

Report spammers here!

Reply 3591 of 4609, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't got around a lot on a bike since my back has been bad, but I've been meaning to get back (badoom tish) to it now I've got a good chiropractor. Previous bikes I've had various "carrying stuff" rigs. .. handle bar baskets, pannier rigs, heavy duty back racks... I guess if you carried a ratchet strap you'd have the option of making a body harness, strapping something under the crossbar, or lashing it to a back rack... An option I mean to explore in future is to get one of those fold down crates and attach that to a sturdy back rack... maybe also have a flip out pannier "shelf" so I could lash stuff on beside the rear wheel. Tube frame backpacks have somewhat gone "out of fashion" for backpackers and hikers, so those turn up somewhat cheap at thrifts etc, and can be the basis for light carrying frames.

Some of the re-usable bags sold at grocery stores here, the non-woven polypropylene material I think they are, can be rolled up really tight, to the size of a roll of coins, and a couple of those in your pockets will let you carry home quite a bit.... they seem like they're less static-y than regular plastic bags, and don't puncture with the corners of things.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3592 of 4609, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you step out to do something and miss an opportunity...

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3593 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

another good haul

ZBVvyTN.jpg
morse m3 386dx40
highscreen 486dx2-66 sis85c471
yd-380b 5"1/4 HD floppy drive
nvidia 6800 p260 256MB
gf7300le 512MB
gt710 1G
eah5450 1G
sis6326
tgui9440
3dprophet 4000xt
i740
audigy2zs
Pinnacle Systems Bendino
tgui9420
tgui8900d
opti82c929a / ad1845jp
opti 82c933
some edo 72p simms and one 64MB sdram
Sony CDU33A with controller card.
goldstar prime 2C demo multi IO
generic USB dvd writer
sony CRX220A1
goldstar prime 2C MKIII multi IO
and a very dusty ATC6000 with an SL22S pPro 180MHz

not on the photo
3 cherry keyboards switchable between AT/XT/?
and one amstrad CPC6128 with one 3" floppy
and a few cables.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3594 of 4609, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, that's a $1000 haul if it all came off eBay these days 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3596 of 4609, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that salvaging gold from CPUs is exaggerated. Electronics are gold plated, which is typically on the order of microns. Even if you did recover gold in this way, you would have to do it on a massive volume to be able to get anything measurable out of it.

Gold in color does not mean gold throughout.

Reply 3598 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the PPro came out of a small tower case where the mainboard, buttons and powerswitch was on the bottom in a seperate unit like a desktop,and the psu and cdrom were in the top part of the case.
Sadly the case was missing the side panels.
I can't say I ever before saw such a case.
The mainboard was on it's own metal plate and slightly annoying to get out.
top and bottom half of the case were detachable, though the front panel wasn't in two parts.

and a gram of gold in a PPro you say? well the silly thing is worth more to me than it's price in gold.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3599 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-31, 14:47:
another good haul […]
Show full quote

another good haul

ZBVvyTN.jpg
morse m3 386dx40
highscreen 486dx2-66 sis85c471
yd-380b 5"1/4 HD floppy drive
nvidia 6800 p260 256MB
gf7300le 512MB
gt710 1G
eah5450 1G
sis6326
tgui9440
3dprophet 4000xt
i740
audigy2zs
Pinnacle Systems Bendino
tgui9420
tgui8900d
opti82c929a / ad1845jp
opti 82c933
some edo 72p simms and one 64MB sdram
Sony CDU33A with controller card.
goldstar prime 2C demo multi IO
generic USB dvd writer
sony CRX220A1
goldstar prime 2C MKIII multi IO
and a very dusty ATC6000 with an SL22S pPro 180MHz

not on the photo
3 cherry keyboards switchable between AT/XT/?
and one amstrad CPC6128 with one 3" floppy
and a few cables.

All that stuff, including the Socket 8 board/cpu and the one thing that I envy most is the 5.25" drive...

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.