VOGONS

Reply 480 of 4612, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:
My first "Dumpster" find, well actually by someone's house, so I offered to clean the hard disk for them, but they'd already rem […]
Show full quote

My first "Dumpster" find, well actually by someone's house, so I offered to clean the hard disk for them, but they'd already removed it (and the RAM, though surprised that DDR1 would be any use anywhere else - maybe they thought that had to be removed for security as well?).
DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

image sharing

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, 865 chipset, Extreme 2 graphics and no AGP slot fitted (space for one, why do they do that!)
P4 2.8 Skt 478 - coolermaster cooler, Hmm wonder if CPU was upgraded, as I doubt that coolermaster was original HP/Compaq fitment
LG Super Multi DVD-RW.
PSU - Liteon 250W with 15A on the 12V.

Still, not going to look a gift horse too much in the mouth, might throw some RAM in it, needed to get some more DDR1 for another system, so cross fingers that it isn't a destroyer!, and see if it can run a live CD.

Extreme 2 graphics and no AGP are a bit of a downer though, not sure how well supported it would be for playing with Linux or maybe reactos

The lack of an AGP slot, but solder holes probably that motherboard has more variants, the AGPless model would be using the Intel 865GV which lacks AGP, then the full version with AGP has the regular i865G chipset, also i saw solder pads for SATA potrs which means they are disabled on that variant. HP probably used the same PCB in many variants with different connetors and chipset since all i865 variants are pin compatbile, so they can reduce costs by using 1 PCB model

By the pics, it seems your HP model is D240 which has that mentioned mobo

Matth79 wrote:
Fired up my "find", with some DDR400 that I'd bought for another system, and with no HDD, spun up a Zorin OS Live DVD. […]
Show full quote

Fired up my "find", with some DDR400 that I'd bought for another system, and with no HDD, spun up a Zorin OS Live DVD.

Now how well does it run on a P4 2.8A on an 865 chipset with 😜 Intel Extreme 2 graphics?

PAINFUL! - Not sure if the effects can be turned down, but the graphics unveil the true awfulness of Intel's early efforts, the animated fold in and fold out being at a rate of seconds per frame.
YouTube also very jumpy.
If I can find my old S3 Savage 4 PCI, might see if that has any more poke - best thing I have for a non-AGP

The Saavge 4 will be likely a downgrade over the Intel Extreme Graphics II xD

how much RAM does it have? also i think desktop effects can be disabled, you can try a lighter linux OS though, i tried once Ubuntu MATE on a Dell Optiplex GX60 (another AGP less machine, but with the older Intel Extreme Graphics 1 and a Celeron) and it ran fine (MATE is a fork of Gnome 2.x)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 481 of 4612, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

how much RAM does it have? also i think desktop effects can be disabled, you can try a lighter linux OS though, i tried once Ubuntu MATE on a Dell Optiplex GX60 (another AGP less machine, but with the older Intel Extreme Graphics 1 and a Celeron) and it ran fine (MATE is a fork of Gnome 2.x)

Go a step further -- I generally use XFCE or LXDE on low-RAM systems. XFCE is actually what I prefer to MATE -- it's so much more extensible than just about anything in its use case, and generally uses less RAM doing it -- the exception to that rule is LXDE, which is what I'm using on my Cloudbook. With quite a few bells and whistles (namely the Dropbox client -- that uses over 100MB just for background syncing, what a hog!) active I boot up that machine to 210MB used, which I could probably push to 100-ish if I were willing to go to IceWM and code my own lightweight dropbox syncing client.

Some moons ago I actually managed to run GNOME 3.14 or thereabouts on a P4 2.8GHz with 1.5GB RAM and Intel Extreme 2 graphics on Arch -- it wasn't horrible, just had to have some patience with it. I remember that vividly, it was actually my first experience with Arch and the first time I managed to get X working on it was with GNOME.

On the subject of my own finds, it's been pretty quiet around here but I'm on the lookout.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 482 of 4612, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will take pictures after its all cleaned up, but what I found in the trash this weekend

ASUS M2N68 AM-Plus /W Phenom X3 8400
Misc Ram in a box, from 32mb PC66 to 2gb DDR2 6400 sticks
Intel 925 Motherbord with Pentium D 930 on it
Geforce 9600GSO 384mb/192bit
Geforce 8600GTS
Radeon HD2600XT 512mb
320gb Laptop Hard Drive

I know the Phenom board works, i tested it, its good, and supports up to a Phenom II 95W cpu including X6 cpus

Reply 483 of 4612, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMG_5879.jpg

The drive was wiped but still installed. The bag I found it all in had almost everything in it!

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 484 of 4612, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, after almost four months I scored something, well, it is not much but it has use for me.
What I found was single 8MB(?) 72 pin SIMM stick and COASt PBS-256. Like I say, nothing much, but nice to find after this time.
P_20160924_093929_zpsvcxvgt5m.jpg

Reply 485 of 4612, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this really unique Apple computer in the e-waste corner of my girlfriend's apartment building a few days ago - never seen it before, is it some special prototype for the new Mac Pro?

20160924_062931.jpg
Filename
20160924_062931.jpg
File size
168.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Seriously though, it's a surprisingly decent system for a throwaway - Pentium Dual Core 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, dual-layer DVD burner w/LightScribe, media card reader. The DIMMs weren't making good contact so the system wasn't running reliably, which is probably why it was dumped. I reseated them and cleaned out the board and so far it's been perfect. Installed Linux Lite 2.6 and am using it right now to post this. Finally I have a Linux desktop to tinker with!

Just gotta peel that sticker off...

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 486 of 4612, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, it's just like one of those Chevrolets with the experimental VTEC upgrade!
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vtec-sticker

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 487 of 4612, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsandy/Computer%20related/IMG_5879.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_5879.jpg

The drive was wiped but still installed. The bag I found it all in had almost everything in it!

Wow. I have a regular android tablet, but I'd love to play with one of these.

Reply 489 of 4612, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
My latest dumpster find! […]
Show full quote

My latest dumpster find!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-daifxqx.jpg

You're too much K_C! Amazing haul!

That IBM looks like a 3270 PC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3270_PC. If it is, then it's a rare beast! If not, then the keyboard won't be usable on a regular 5150 as is.

Reply 490 of 4612, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is indeed! Unfortunately the PSU seems kaputt. 😒 It just clicks when I power it up, no fan spinning or anything. Either there is a short causing the PSU to turn itself off or the caps are long since dead.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 491 of 4612, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

It is indeed! Unfortunately the PSU seems kaputt. 😒 It just clicks when I power it up, no fan spinning or anything. Either there is a short causing the PSU to turn itself off or the caps are long since dead.

Pop the hood! Line filter capacitor? Perhaps a tantalum? Bust out the soldering iron!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 492 of 4612, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Luck you! I was given a 3270 and same exact keyboard for free many years ago. I eventually threw it out not knowing what I had! If I remember correctly, it came with an Seagate ST-225.

Reply 493 of 4612, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nabbed these out of an old rackmount server awaiting disposal. Two things to tick off the box of "stuff I vaguely need but not enough to pay money for": a SCSI zip drive for my Roland S-760, and a black 3.5" floppy bezel for my dual Xeon build. Not bad!

scsi1.png
Filename
scsi1.png
File size
502.88 KiB
Views
File license
scsi2.png
Filename
scsi2.png
File size
560.42 KiB
Views
File license

...then I turned it around and noticed the floppy is also SCSI via this handy 50-pin to 34-pin adapter. Not something I've ever seen before!

I might go back and see what was powering the thing - it's too big to grab but there may be something really cool in there like an SMP Pentium Pro board or some sort of RISC server system. It's the right era. I also want to grab the beautiful rainbow SCSI cables that I didn't have time to extract. 😁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 494 of 4612, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was rescued the other day from the local dump. Haven't powered it on yet to see what CPU / RAM it has, but it does come with an S3 Trio64+ with memory upgrade, Creative Labs Vibra 16, 3COM Ethernet controller, no hard drive, and what I think is a Samsung CD-RW drive. The board is a DFI P5BTX/L Rev. C.

What's not pictured: Picked up a very nasty looking Macintosh IIci. Popped the top to have a look inside. Comes with an unknown amount of RAM (all 8 slots are occupied), an unknown, what I think is, a video card, and a Quantum ProDrive LPS 84S 80MB SCSI drive. It also came with an external hard drive (NuDesign). Inside is a Conner CFA340S 340MB SCSI drive. Hopefully this weekend I can have a look at the SCSI drives to see if they're still good. 😁

Attachments

• DSCF4090.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4090.JPG
    File size
    332.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4080.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4080.JPG
    File size
    347.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4083.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4083.JPG
    File size
    170.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 495 of 4612, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Luck you! I was given a 3270 and same exact keyboard for free many years ago. I eventually threw it out not knowing what I had! If I remember correctly, it came with an Seagate ST-225.

the PC/3270 has a ridiculous set of boards that pretty much gave you hardware-level 3270 terminal emulation but left the average 5160 with only two ISA slots open. I've found that these days it's easier to omit all but the keyboard controller board and us TN3270 with either a network card or one of the later single-board 3270 emulation boards. In the meantime however the extra keys are available to DOS but you have to map the extra scancodes.

Speaking of XT's I got me a clone. The Zenith EazyPC.

IMG_6019.jpg

Monochrome CGA, parallel, serial, a mouse port (probably more serial) and the 640k ram addon. No hard drive. No keyboard, but it seems to behave with most AT DIN keyboards so a replacement is easy to get.
I'll probably dedicate this to an Internet terminal. Hack in a Xircom parallel ethernet adapter, put DOS on a floppy and load in mTCP.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 496 of 4612, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

found two old LGA 775 P5 systems

one is an HP MultiMedia m7000 with the case hevily damaged and the other was a Fujitsu SCAELO P, the HP is untested, the Fujitsu works, but had to replace the videocard since it was damaged (probably the reason why it got trashed). I'll post some pics later

specs are:
HP:
Pentium 4 516
1 GB DDR2 400
ASUS PTGD-LA (Puffer2)
Geforce 6200
500 GB HDD
DVD Drive with lightscribe

Fujitsu:
Pentium 4 650
2 GB DDR 400
ASUS P5GD1-FM/S
Radeon x300 (dead)
2x 160 GB HDD
Windows 7 x86

Reply 497 of 4612, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found more PCs on the trash, someone decided to trash a Q6600 PC today

Attachments

• 20161005_170001.jpg
    Filename
    20161005_170001.jpg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20161005_165958.jpg
    Filename
    20161005_165958.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 498 of 4612, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyoenmadan wrote:
Ughh... It has a PowerPC embedded CPU. Probably it uses a custom UNIX version, like the old IBM Network Station. Probably can't […]
Show full quote
xjas wrote:

I also grabbed these two weird little thin client / network appliances (NCD ExploraPro.) Interesting configuration of hardware. No idea if it's possible to add storage or a local OS via the PCMCIA slot (or even what OS to use if that works!) but they seem to have everything onboard to be a complete mini-computer.

They take an 18VAC wall wart with an odd-sized connector so god knows when I'm gonna find one of those, but it will be interesting to see what they can do when I do.

Ughh... It has a PowerPC embedded CPU. Probably it uses a custom UNIX version, like the old IBM Network Station. Probably can't run anything more in such small amount of memory, and probably has no MMU to run some LinuxPPC flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Compute … Network_Station
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/NC-HOWTO/

NextStep / OpenStep?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 499 of 4612, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know if its luck or just a burden, but the same place where i got my HP 150 and 150 II almost a decade ago still had some hidden treasures. The attic should have been cleaned and everything thrashed after we took all that were interesting. Last week i talked to a friend that had rented an office in that building and he mentioned he had seen some old computers in the attic. I became curious and thought maybe it had to be leftovers from more recent times and i wanted to check it out. Got in contact with the buildings new owners and we went on friday to look.
To my amazement there was another room that had been loocked many years ago that we hadnt checked! Inside there were more HP 150 PCs, some 286 PCs, a HP 3000 Micro system, old HP plotters and printers and hundreds of floppies, manuals, documents and software. I said i was interested in many things and after two hours they called me back and i could take everything i wanted 😀 Got there after lunch today with my car and after 3 hours getting things downstairs and out the car was full. here pctures of some of it.

Attic3.jpg
Filename
Attic3.jpg
File size
3.92 MiB
Views
File license

Just a liitle view inside before i had to sort and dig things i wanted out. The room were full of furnitures and other things that i had to remove to get to some things.

HP150andCompam286.jpg
Filename
HP150andCompam286.jpg
File size
3.84 MiB
Views
File license

Here i put a load at the stair before getting it downstairs and out. Two HP 150 with various storage devices , 3 Copam 286 PCs, two HP plotters and two HP Deskjet 520 (that i left there).

HP2640N.jpg
Filename
HP2640N.jpg
File size
4.07 MiB
Views
File license

On the chair a HP 2640N terminal from 1976 (?). Under it a HP 150 II pc and to its right a HP 3421A Data Acousition/Control Unit. Have no clue what that was for.

HP3000micro.jpg
Filename
HP3000micro.jpg
File size
4 MiB
Views
File license

The HP 3000 Micro with a tape drive and a harddrive.

How to prevent portrait photos to be rotated?