VOGONS

Reply 580 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an HP vectra with a 486 DX 33. I remember that I used a DX2 66 at some point and it worked without any problems. The only problem with that machine is that the bios doesn't support LBA (but this happened also on regular boards) and maybe also the fact that I can't touch any of the timings, but it's still a fast 486 I think. I wonder what could be done with it if we had an old version of AMIBCP.

I've seen far worse custom built computers on the opposite (cheap PCChips stuff for example)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 581 of 4609, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Well.... I kind of like that HP 4/100 machine.
HP and IBM are my favorite brands from that era, yet nothing beats a good home build machine.

I totally agree to that, brostenen - I would be sorry to throw away this machine, after I've found that - I'm sure it will be a nice machine, over all.

Deksor wrote:

I've got an HP vectra with a 486 DX 33. I remember that I used a DX2 66 at some point and it worked without any problems. The only problem with that machine is that the bios doesn't support LBA (but this happened also on regular boards) and maybe also the fact that I can't touch any of the timings, but it's still a fast 486 I think. I wonder what could be done with it if we had an old version of AMIBCP.

I've seen far worse custom built computers on the opposite (cheap PCChips stuff for example)

Me too - mine is a 486 DX-4 100, this could be lucky Vectra findings week 😉
I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 582 of 4609, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you are the another machine I've rescued, a TX-based build, with Pentium 100mhz + heatsink, 32MB SIMM RAM, S3 Trio32 - it had a 24x broken CDRom, that I've changed with a working 52x. I swapped the Trio 32 with a Trio 64+ (although there are 2x free memory sockets), and mounted a Creative AWE64 non-Gold for audio section. For the storage, I've mounted a Quantum LCT 15GB, although BIOS can only see 8GB, LBA - I don't have any other little-sized hard disks - must buy other IDE2CF adapters. Now the system is fully working, but I've to change the way front display show real clock, because it shows 16 instead of 100.

IMG_20161204_234720.jpg IMG_20161205_004356.jpg IMG_20161205_014144.jpg

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 583 of 4609, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I scored 3 Pentium II from the college attic.
ASUS P2L-B motherboard, 266MHZ PII, ATI Rage AGP, Intel LAN, SB16 Vibra16XV in all of them.
Don't care much about P2 but the AT cases and power supplies are worth it.

Attachments

• inP2.jpg
    Filename
    inP2.jpg
    File size
    643.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3openP2.jpg
    Filename
    3openP2.jpg
    File size
    499.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3P2.jpg
    Filename
    3P2.jpg
    File size
    405.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by James-F on 2016-12-05, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 584 of 4609, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

ASUS P2L-B motherboard, 266MHZ PII, ATI Rage AGP, Intel LAN, SB16 Vibra16XV in all of them.

Nice!

Yellow, yellow-er, and yellow-est! 🤣

Also known as "spot the computer from the smoker's office".

Reply 585 of 4609, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Heh. 😁
I wonder if they'll make a good 90s era DOS machines like my beloved Pentium 1 233MMX.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 586 of 4609, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:

I've got 3 machines, this afternoon - 1x Pentium II build, on usual BX-440 - motherboard not branded, it seems something like ASUS P2B-F but without name. The Pentium II found aboard is a 300mhz model.

A Google search told me that motherboard is made by A-Trend.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 587 of 4609, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:
Nice! […]
Show full quote
James-F wrote:

Nice!

Actually direct sunlight that turns white plastic yellow, not cigarette smoke - it has to do with flame retardant compounds mixed in with the plastic. All cigarette smoke will do is make it smell bad and give it a light yellow tint that washes off. I tough this was common knowledge by now, what with retro-bright and all.

Reply 588 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I heared that yellowing was a reaction between oxygen and like you said, flame retardant, not light, but I think that light and heat are accelerating factors for that reaction, wich explains why some computers that spent all their life in darkness can sometimes turn yellow (I've heared that was happening too) and that's why after a retrobright people sometimes put something more on their plastic in order to private it from oxygen

I've got one AT case with what looks like to be the same interior, and I've seen at least two other AT cases with different front but still the same interior. But they were also all very fragile because they tend to bend easily. Is it the case for you ? Looks like somebody was building pretty cheap cases and then whoever wanted to use them had to put their plastic front on the cheap metal

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 589 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saved this machine from the skip at work only because of the name and because I thought it was a Pentium II.

20161206_140036-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
File size
392.87 KiB
Views
File license

Would have made a good replacement for my dead Dell GX1. Not so happy to find out it's actually a Pentium III 800 with some ATi Rage and i815 chipset. Keep or put back in the skip?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 590 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

Saved this machine from the skip at work only because of the name and because I thought it was a Pentium II.

Would have made a good replacement for my dead Dell GX1. Not so happy to find out it's actually a Pentium III 800 with some ATi Rage and i815 chipset. Keep or put back in the skip?

Keep for some other use, maybe you might need it someday

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 592 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

Keep for some other use, maybe you might need it someday

So, the same reason I keep all my crap, then? 😉

Sure, I'll keep it. It's nice to have a selection of OEM machines. This one isn't exactly a classic, but until a Gateway 2000 comes along it's the only Gateway I've got. It'll go next to the IBM and the Dell. Somewhere...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 593 of 4609, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

The attachment 20161206_140036-1200x2133.jpg is no longer available

I've got a 650MHz unit that someone painted to look a bit more festive ...

GATEWAY.jpg
Filename
GATEWAY.jpg
File size
2.32 MiB
Views
File comment
Gateway E1400
File license

Had to replace the PSU, that wasn't cheap ...

With the 815 you'd be able to put maybe a 1GHz CPU in? Could be paired with a better PCI graphics card, or even V2 SLI, though you'd need better cooling in either case. It's a nice little system, so it would be a shame to scrap it (again).

Reply 594 of 4609, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this IBM Thinkpad 600E (with carrying case, PCMCIA WLAN card & external floppy drive!) as a giveaway. It has lots of scratches & dents. The docking port especially is little bent (probably fixable, though). Despite the rugged looks it works perfectly. Awesome! 😎

20161216_154550_zpsq1jvtkza.jpg
20161216_154614_zps2a6ir9gg.jpg

Reply 596 of 4609, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found something nice today, though way too new for my collection as such.
It will go into my mame machine, that I am in the process of making.
(7/8 years in the making, because something else keeps comming up)

This is one of the two I found today. As they are identical, only one pictured.

2GB-DDR2-01.jpg
Filename
2GB-DDR2-01.jpg
File size
116.6 KiB
Views
File comment
2gb DDR2
File license

The mame machine will be:
- P4 Socket 775 3ghz
- 5gb Ram (2x2gb + 2x512mb)
- Radeon x550 64mb PCI-E
- 80gb SATA-II HDD
- DVD rom

The fronend will be Maximus Arcade, butt-load of emulators and 80's pop-hits
playing as background music when in the gameselect-menu.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 597 of 4609, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
c0keb0ttle wrote:
Nice! […]
Show full quote
James-F wrote:

Nice!

Nope... Not nichotine. Nichotine will leave a easy to clean reddish-brown colour instead.
People are so afraid of tobacco, and it has become something so evil, that people start
thinking that it does more than it really does.

Nicotine is actually an oil from the plant. It is also a natural insect poison.
In the 1940's, during WWII, we tried to use it as a insectiside, because of scarse raw materials
for the chemical industry.
And because tobacco was not being inported in those 5 years of time, it was grown in denmark.
My grandfather had a fruit farm, and he grew tobacco alongside fruits and berries.
Plus he rolled cigars, that he could sell too.

Deksor has given one of the factors to why. It is the flame retardent's.
They react to both uv light, heat, oxygen and other things.
More or less a chainreaction of event's that can turn the plastic yellow, at a slow or fast rate.
This is why we use that nasty peroxid in a more consentrated level than the one for disinfection.
The exact chemical reaction I do not know. I have not even read as to why exactly that is.

Probably just a case of "it just works, so we do not bother knowing why".
Or is there a more in dept answer to this?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 598 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

Those are some spiffy looking cases. De-yellowing the one of the right shouldn't be too hard.

Reply 599 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found these guys last week! Probably not going to keep the HP Pavillion but man that Commodore monitor is MINE FOREVER. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dassec3.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dasnake.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!