VOGONS

Reply 840 of 4612, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

found a card i cannot properly identify when I picked up something at work.

know its a scuzi card but cannot find any details on google.

It says smart array 5300 on the card and HP has documentation for it.
https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04 … 2279.pdf?ver=11
http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/di … docLocale=en_US

Reply 841 of 4612, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The stuff you guys find in dumpsters are the stuff of envy.. Makes me wonder which dumpsters I should check out for these kinds of hauls. Surely not residential dumpsters?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 843 of 4612, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

The stuff you guys find in dumpsters are the stuff of envy.. Makes me wonder which dumpsters I should check out for these kinds of hauls. Surely not residential dumpsters?

My residential "trash room" is actually pretty epic when it comes to finding good stuff (see my previous posts in this thread for examples).

Also, case in point; yesterday I picked one of these up:

presonus-firebox-336908.jpg
Presonus Firebox, firewire audio interface. I'm on linux, so because of firewire, it's a little fiddly to use, but it seems to work fine so far.

My residential trash room is where I have found most of my stuff, but the e-waste at my previous employer was also a good place.

Reply 844 of 4612, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:
What is the saddest computer you say? Just look at this... http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah276/krivulak/P_20170402_194900_ […]
Show full quote

What is the saddest computer you say? Just look at this...
P_20170402_194900_zpsmrnwqfci.jpg
P_20170402_194848_zpsvlp7qxgk.jpg

Every cable was cut. And I mean that every single one was cut in two. Apparently, it was lying somewhere outside, leaves, bugs and mold got inside. Funnily enough, the harddrive was there, so I pulled everything out and let it dry for few days. Yesterday I scraped all the mold from the harddrive and tried to power it up and guess what? It works flawlessly, all the data is there. This is personal data safety done completely wrong. 😁

I seriously wonder if that Gigabyte motherboard can be fixed 🤣 What's the model on it?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 845 of 4612, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

I seriously wonder if that Gigabyte motherboard can be fixed 🤣 What's the model on it?

To be honest, I didn't even thought about getting this junk to work again and because some bugs started to crawl out of the bag, I had to manage quickly, so I just pulled RAM, CPU and threw everything else back where it came from. 😁

Also, it had almost all of the caps ripped from the board so I don't think it was salvageable...

Reply 846 of 4612, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stoof wrote:
My residential "trash room" is actually pretty epic when it comes to finding good stuff (see my previous posts in this thread fo […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

My residential "trash room" is actually pretty epic when it comes to finding good stuff (see my previous posts in this thread for examples).

Also, case in point; yesterday I picked one of these up:

presonus-firebox-336908.jpg
Presonus Firebox, firewire audio interface. I'm on linux, so because of firewire, it's a little fiddly to use, but it seems to work fine so far.

My residential trash room is where I have found most of my stuff, but the e-waste at my previous employer was also a good place.

Hmm... I wonder what the d-sub pinout is?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 848 of 4612, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
stoof wrote:

*Presonus Firebox, firewire audio interface*

Hmm... I wonder what the d-sub pinout is?

Me too, I didn't find the break-out cable.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how they crammed MIDI in+out and SPDIF in+out into 9 pins. Common ground I guess. Anyway, I don't plan on using MIDI or SPDIF anytime soon.

Reply 849 of 4612, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stoof wrote:

Me too, I didn't find the break-out cable.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how they crammed MIDI in+out and SPDIF in+out into 9 pins. Common ground I guess. Anyway, I don't plan on using MIDI or SPDIF anytime soon.

I found some info, although it's unverified.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58156.0

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 850 of 4612, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So that ES Celeron I thought I found (posted earlier)? It's actually a P4-Northwood 2.66 ES. I'm running it way under spec because I am just testing my Asus P4S533 board I bought, and have no thermal paste between CPU/Heatsink. Default voltage seems to be 1.6V (about .1V higher than most Northwood's). What do you guys think the chances of it having HT are? I need to get an i875P motherboard.

TFsc6Zy.png

Reply 851 of 4612, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
So that ES Celeron I thought I found (posted earlier)? It's actually a P4-Northwood 2.66 ES. I'm running it way under spec becau […]
Show full quote

So that ES Celeron I thought I found (posted earlier)? It's actually a P4-Northwood 2.66 ES. I'm running it way under spec because I am just testing my Asus P4S533 board I bought, and have no thermal paste between CPU/Heatsink. Default voltage seems to be 1.6V (about .1V higher than most Northwood's). What do you guys think the chances of it having HT are? I need to get an i875P motherboard.

TFsc6Zy.png

HT is also supported on Intel 865 series, 848P, some later 845 mobos (mostly 845PE/GE) and some later SiS 645DX and SiS 648 motherboards

What is the S-Spec of the CPU?

Since yours is an ES, it'll start with Q

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 852 of 4612, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it has HT, the CPU itself should say so - CPU-Z ought to tell you, or boot into Linux from a CD and do cat /proc/cpuinfo (you'll see two "CPUs", and you'll see "ht" somewhere in the Flags section, using the output from my local box, a Core i3, as a guideline).

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 853 of 4612, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:

HT is also supported on Intel 865 series, 848P, some later 845 mobos (mostly 845PE/GE) and some later SiS 645DX and SiS 648 motherboards

I have a SiS 645DX (Asus P4S533), but no HT support. Highest proc is 2.8/533 non-HT. I needed this early revision because it has a universal AGP to test any and all AGP cards I get.

As for the CPU, there is no s-spec that starts with Q. On the chip itself is has 2 groups of numbers, 1 starting with D, and the next line '8138', no Q anywhere. Also has what looks like a QR code.

I initially thought it was a Celeron because it looks like this (middle):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/generation,534-4.html

Instead of normal Northwood B/C that looks like below or above link left most.
http://hw-museum.cz/cpu/cpu-detail?cpuID=63

Reply 854 of 4612, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rescued this beat up shell of a Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF from the scrapyard today. Looks like they already nicked the motherboard, but left the front USB header, DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive and floppy drive with adapters for their laptop-esque connectors to IDE, 40 GB WD hard drive, and Dell power supply which they cut all the cords off. There was also a random DVD-R labeled "Sparkle" inside which I threw out.

I guess it's somewhat worth it for free, I might throw a random motherboard in it for fun or something. Also the guy running the place said he'll let me know if he gets any old towers to scrap 😁

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 855 of 4612, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
I have a SiS 645DX (Asus P4S533), but no HT support. Highest proc is 2.8/533 non-HT. I needed this early revision because it has […]
Show full quote
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I have a SiS 645DX (Asus P4S533), but no HT support. Highest proc is 2.8/533 non-HT. I needed this early revision because it has a universal AGP to test any and all AGP cards I get.

As for the CPU, there is no s-spec that starts with Q. On the chip itself is has 2 groups of numbers, 1 starting with D, and the next line '8138', no Q anywhere. Also has what looks like a QR code.

I initially thought it was a Celeron because it looks like this (middle):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/generation,534-4.html

Instead of normal Northwood B/C that looks like below or above link left most.
http://hw-museum.cz/cpu/cpu-detail?cpuID=63

From my experience with 478 sis chipset boards you can run the HT chips, HT just won't be recognized or work. So if you are limited to 533fsb Northwood chips the DESKTOP (not laptop) 3.06 chip should work.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 856 of 4612, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Rescued this beat up shell of a Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF from the scrapyard today. Looks like they already nicked the motherboard, but left the front USB header, DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive and floppy drive with adapters for their laptop-esque connectors to IDE, 40 GB WD hard drive, and Dell power supply which they cut all the cords off. There was also a random DVD-R labeled "Sparkle" inside which I threw out.

I guess it's somewhat worth it for free, I might throw a random motherboard in it for fun or something. Also the guy running the place said he'll let me know if he gets any old towers to scrap 😁

Those are awesome MCE systems when set up. Put it side-by-side with a phat 360 and it looks amazing. So, if you need to put a PC on your gaming shelf it works perfectly.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 857 of 4612, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a dismantled PS3 on the street. Has YLOD issue so I'm hoping an oven reflow will get it up and running again.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 858 of 4612, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A haul of old computer stuff from today.
A Complete HP Pavilion t780.es with all stock hardware (specs on front sticker)
A Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L with a Pentium E2220
An MSI P4M890M (MS-7255) with a Celeron D 352
3x 1 GB DDR2 and 1x 2 GB DDR2 sticks
ASUS Geforce 9600 GT
USRobotics MAXg PCI 802.11g Wireless adapter (supports Windows 98)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB SATA
Samung Spinpoint 160 GB IDE
FSP 350 watt PSU with 24 pin
Media Magic "900" watt off brand PSU, probably crap
Bonus, an old 8 GB USB found inside the CD caddy

Attachments

• 20170420_175130.jpg
    Filename
    20170420_175130.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170420_175242.jpg
    Filename
    20170420_175242.jpg
    File size
    1.62 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170420_175426.jpg
    Filename
    20170420_175426.jpg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170420_184323.jpg
    Filename
    20170420_184323.jpg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170420_184557.jpg
    Filename
    20170420_184557.jpg
    File size
    1006.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 859 of 4612, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing too exciting - I was asked "We're throwing out this old computer, do you want it?" I figured it was P4 era, which I'm not excited about, but said yes. The worst that could happen is I throw it out on their behalf. Turns out it had a P4 3.0, x1300xt 256MB, and Audigy 2. I salvaged those and threw the rest out. Interestingly, the HDD and RAM were missing. It was a Dell Dimension 8400 with tons of bulging caps. Not interested. 😵

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks