VOGONS

Opinions on Gotek floppy emulators?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 27, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i love my gotek, the problem i have is that i loose the list of all the disks i saved in it, so its a pain to remember what position is the boot disk i wanted
with the gotek i was finally able to forget about floppy drives and disks.

Reply 22 of 27, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my opinion 0.91" OLED screen is a must. Numerical only is pain in the butt with 10 images, let alone more 😬.

Only downside is that letters are smallish so it's better if case is somewhere at head level, and not i.e. tower case below the desk 😁. If you have 3D printer you can even print 5.25" gotek housing variant that can fit 16x2 LCD screen which has bigger letters and it's easier to see/read.
I've made a mod to that housing so it can fit 2.5" drive along gotek to save a bit of space 😀.

Reply 23 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've kept the 7-segment display for that 80's look. 🙂
But I've installed the Gotek in a PC/XT compatible, so that made sense, kind of.

Edit: How about an VFD style display for the Gotek, as an alternative to OLED/7-Segment ?
They were very popular in the 1990s.
In car radios, VCRs, CD players, HiFi stereo systems etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

They look like this. Apparently, Arduino compatible models arw out there, too.
But unfortunately, they're quite large and perhaps not compatible with Flash Floppy yet.

16T202DA1E_hello_world.jpg
Filename
16T202DA1E_hello_world.jpg
File size
20.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source: https://scienceprog.com/test-run-of-vfd-displ … -using-arduino/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 27, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it works via hd44780 controller (that's the brain of most of these 16x2 LCDs) then it should work.

There are also green and amber 16x2 LCDs which also look about on par with the times. Especially amber ones 😀.

*EDIT*

Yup, it says "It can replace the standard HD44780 based liquid crystal display out of the box" so it's compatible. You'd only need I2C harness like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/353710987673, attach it to screen and connect it to gotek. FlashFloppy uses I2C to send data to screen(s), you need this "adapter" for regular 16x2 LCDs.

Reply 25 of 27, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2021-09-15, 21:43:

Are all Gotek compatible with PC ?

no, but you can easily flash different firmware for it, some PCBs don't have the necessary pins attached though, so some minimal soldering work would be required.

if you want to avoid any work get one that is specifically flashed for PC

edit: maybe I should look at the date before I reply 😁

Reply 26 of 27, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-04-14, 12:48:
no, but you can easily flash different firmware for it, some PCBs don't have the necessary pins attached though, so some minimal […]
Show full quote
NyLan wrote on 2021-09-15, 21:43:

Are all Gotek compatible with PC ?

no, but you can easily flash different firmware for it, some PCBs don't have the necessary pins attached though, so some minimal soldering work would be required.

if you want to avoid any work get one that is specifically flashed for PC

edit: maybe I should look at the date before I reply 😁

No worries, I actually bought 2 gotek since then 😀

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 27 of 27, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see the point of these things on pre pentium 2 era system where you don't have usb, but otherwise I don't get all the rage about these.

Maybe when all my last floppy fails on me I will go beg for forgiveness to the all mighty gotek god.