Topic actions

Reply 102 of 110, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2021-08-09, 05:55:

Got a photo of the resultant product?

My one assembled prototype is inside my system, so here's a picture of the raw PCB. It mounts to a standard keystone brand slot bracket

20210809_211524.jpg
Filename
20210809_211524.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 105 of 110, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can already envision what it looks like, however my purpose for the question was the hope that you would provide a photo of the finished product and interface cable to inspire others who might want to follow suit. I do not have this motherboard, so it wouldn't be for me, but for those who stumble upon this post who want to do something similar.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 106 of 110, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-09, 03:04:

Zerthimon - how's your desoldering chops?

Pretty good, why ? Is it about removing the via keyboard controller and replacing it with your board ?

Reply 107 of 110, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zerthimon wrote on 2021-08-10, 10:27:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-09, 03:04:

Zerthimon - how's your desoldering chops?

Pretty good, why ? Is it about removing the via keyboard controller and replacing it with your board ?

Yes - the procedure is to desolder the DIP-24 Via KBC and replace it with a DIP-24 socket

Then you make a length of 24c ribbon cable with the DIP-24 IDC connectors on both ends, plug one end into your fresh socket and the other into the mod board. You also need to grab IRQ 12 from somewhere on the board, there is a via nearby.

I can share the gerber files with you if you're interested in assembling your own mod board, or I could make you one and sell it- I have exactly enough components (DIP-40 KBC notwithstanding) to make one more

Reply 108 of 110, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, thanks for the offer! I can make one myself having the gerber files, but first I wanna be sure I really wanna do it (as a matter of fact that it requires extensive modification of the original mobo). I let you know if I'm interested.

Reply 109 of 110, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't exactly call socketing one single IC extensive modification, but it's up to you! You can always put the original KBC back in the socket if you decide to revert. I'm attaching the gerbers to this post

Attachments