VOGONS

First post, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been taking some old PC's that I have, and trying to make the most of them by cleaning them up, installing fans, and optimizing them as much as possible to run games at 60fps if possible (Quake 1, 2, 3 specifically). I max out the RAM and leave the CPU/Mobo as is, and try to enhance every other aspect of the system.

Currently I am doing benchmark tests on the following setup:

HP Pavilion 6635 (full specs)
109931 Cognac Motherboard
533mhz Celeron
256MB RAM (max'd out)
3 PCI slots, no AGP
OS = Windows XP SP3

Graphics cards used for testing (PCI):
Visiontek GeForce 2 MX 200
eVGA GeForce 4 MX 420

With this setup, while running Quake 3 Arena, the best performance I can get is around 39fps. Even if I turn off vsync, I gain back only 5 frames.

I am running Quake 3 Arena with the following settings:

GL Driver: Default
GL Extensions: On
Video Mode: 640x480
Color Depth: 16 bit
Fullscreen: On
Lighting: Lightmap
Geometric Detail: Low
Texture Detail: 3
Texture Quality: 16 bit
Texture Filter: Bilinear
Simple IItems: off
Marks on Walls: off
Ejecting Brass: off
Dynamic Lights: off
Identify Target: off
High Quality Sky: on
Sync Every Frame: on
Force Player Models: off
Draw Team Overlay: off
Automatic Downloading: off

This data is not accurate when compared to the benchmarks for the Celeron 533mhzI have managed to turn up:

Implies 65.5fps for Quake 3 in 640x480 16bit
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/ … eleron-566.html

This shows 70fps for Q3 on a GeForce 256:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/performan … ide,213-10.html

Am I missing something? What could be the bottleneck? Does anyone else have experience with similar hardware? Even when running Quake 2, I was barely breaching 50fps at similar settings. This seems incredibly odd.

Any insight would be supremly helpful. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're running XP SP3 (with only 256MB of memory at that) and comparing to benchmarks that were likely conducted on machines running 98SE or, at worst, Windows 2000. You're also using a fairly inconsistent metric for comparison - Quake 3 doesn't have an explicit built-in benchmark like say, Hitman Absolution, so you're comparing timedemo performance, potentially between different timedemos. You also have to remember that review benchmark systems are often fairly stripped-down compared to normal usage machines - they tend not to have things like anti-virus suites, lots of background services, etc enabled as reviewers are going after the most consistent numbers between test-runs. You're also comparing PCI cards to tests that are using AGP cards, which will have an impact on performance as well.

Basically, you're wrestling with multiple factors, some of them beyond your control. The most significant things you could do would be to dump XP, and remove background "junk" (you don't really need anti-virus, firewall, etc since a machine like this really has no business on the web). You will never match the performance of an AGP system with this HP, but you should be able to improve from where you are.

Finally, you never mentioned your hard-drive situation - that could also be a bottleneck.

Reply 2 of 16, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

also its seems you are using an i810 wich performs worse than an intel bx440 (chipset in the test)

on top of that all the pcs that arent clones usually performs below a same spec clone...

Reply 3 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, good points.

Luckily in reviews they usually mention the driver version and patch version of the game. That helps quite a bit. Best is to use drivers and software from that era. Later drivers focus on newer games.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

For Geforce 2/4 MX I've heard there is quite a performance drop with the Forcewares, and that you should stick to 4x.x Detonators.

Some GeForce 4 MX series cards can't use such old drivers (e.g. MX 4000, which is newer than many GeForce FX boards), but the 2 MX series (like any other GF2) can actually use 3x.xx drivers, which are usually suggested as being best for compatibility with older games in other threads.

Reply 7 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an addition to Quake III, the game was published almost the same date that the Celeron 533MHz was launched. I don't remember ever top performance for a game to be achievable using a budget CPU from the same era.

Reply 8 of 16, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few clarrifications:

• The XP OS has been fully optimized. There is no anti-virus running and system services have been stripped down. Its booting up at 70mb RAM usage on SP3, so its pretty lean.
  • The Q3 version is the latest patched version of the game
  • I have tested out the Forceware and Detonator Drivers. Currently installed are Detonator 28.32, which I have tested against the GeForce 2MX (have yet to test the GeForce 4 against the Detonators to see what happens).
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.htm
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/28.32/28.32_winxp.exe
  • I am averaging 5 timedemo tests to get a more balanced framerate result for the timedemo on each config.
  • The Harddrive is a 7200 RPM 320GB Blue IDE Drive (Model #: WD3200AAJB)

Interesting point about the i810 chipset!

What impact on the fps would windows 98 have vs winxp? Remember I was also testing out Quake 2 and it was stuck at 50fps max with vsync on, with a refresh rate of 75hz, 640x480, 16bit, OpenGL.

I also came across this link, which spefically tested a GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI card in a shuttle system. The CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHz, but at least its a benchmark for the PCI version of this card which is hard data to find these days:
http://techreport.com/review/3813/shuttle-ss4 … ebones-system/7

Reply 9 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd still drop to either an earlier iteration of XP, like SP1, or to 98SE. It will likely improve the system's overall performance (and 70MB is not much less than my completely untouched XP Pro SP2 SMP machine uses; by contrast that machine running Win2k Pro with no optimizations is using like 50-80MB, and 98SE can be even lighter than that). Performance wise you're likely also hitting a wall with the PCI cards and very slow CPU - you're comparing either to significantly faster CPUs (like AthlonXP 2000+, which is faster than basically any Pentium 3, some early Pentium 4s, etc) or to machines with similar CPUs, but AGP graphics and other improvement features. You're also probably getting a more comprehensive FPS average than what some reviews are showing you - I know Demo001 was a popular choice for Quake 3 benchmarks years ago, and if you're instead averaging all of them together that will produce different results.

In the plus column, the hard-drive shouldn't be a problem. 😀

Last edited by obobskivich on 2015-05-02, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The latest patch for Quake III replaces the two demos that the originally came with. Instead, it replaces them with a single demo, DEMO004. This is a far more demanding benchmark than the previous two demos.

Reviewers probably didn't use Demo004 at the time. Try reinstalling Quake and using an earlier patch, I typically use 1.16 IIRC!

Reply 11 of 16, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP SP1 or earlier, installed without ACPI will yield a noticable improvement in framerate as well. I used to do comparisons back before I switched to SP3 because everything was so fast it didn't matter. I wish I had an SP1 disc, still so I could use it for this purpose... I'll have to look around.

Reply 13 of 16, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for the tips and info.

I did some more testing, and even threw some more graphics cards at it. The CPU is definitely bottlenecking the cards. I am going to stick with the GeForce cards I have, specifically the GF4 MX 420, as I can run older drivers. Any of the ATI driver bundles I have run across are too modern and use up a lot more system RAM.

It turns out, that I had GL Extensions: On. Setting this to off gains 7-8 frames, bringing the average framerate for demo004 to 47fps. This is much better, and overall the experience is pretty pleasant.

Later on down the road I will try out XP SP1 or 98SE to observe more improvements on this rig. At the moment this machine will be SP3, as its supposed to be a little companion XP PC to a Pentium 4 for some LAN gaming.

Reply 14 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turning gl extensions off is bad and should lead to worse performance. The option is there incase some cards' drivers implement some extensions improperly (most 1996-1998 hardware). You should have that on

You should also try changing r_primitives to 1 or 2. 2 is usually better on ATI. Setting it t0 0 autodetects, and sometimes it assumes wrong.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 16, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For whatever reason turning GL Extensions off on this setup lead to improved performance. I ran 5 benchmarks all coming out to 46.5-47.5 fps versus the 39fps average I was getting with GL Extensions turned on. I tested this with Forceware and Detonator Drivers. The result was also observed with ATI cards as well. On any other machine, such as my Pentium 4 for instance, I will leave GL Extensions set to On. However on this 533mhz turning it off yeilded a huge performance gain.

I will experiment with r_primitives along with other custom configuration options as well.

Reply 16 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just FYI, the GL extensions Q3A uses are all in the interest of raising performance than increasing graphical quality. By disabling GL extensions, you'll disable compiled vertex arrays, texture compression, and multitexturing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem