VOGONS

First post, by Trevize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everybody,

I need your help with finding the proper storage for my 286 (Suntac ST62M02-B2). I don't have any old HDD's available and I don't trust them so I've decided to use a CF2IDE adapter.

The current BIOS (will add the type and version later) can handle the maximum size of 117 MB HDDs (CHS: 1024,9,26), and there is no custom size setting. The IDE controller an ISA card, it's a Goldstar (at the moment I can't tell it's exact type, I'm not at home). I've got 2 GB CF card (some Kingston), which is used, but in good condition (has no 'bad sectors'). I was able to partition and format the CF card to 117 MB, and I can do place system on it, but the 286 can't access the first few sectors, pretending read error. The best example is that when I try to read the c:\command.com file, DOS gives the good old Abort, Retry, Fail prompt (tried by using copy c:\command.com NUL). One more information about the computer: I've recently installed a 80C287 co-processor which I'd bought from EBAY about two monthsago. Altough it shouldn't cause any problems, I've read interesting behaviour with a 80287 installed.

I've both tried to make the driver bootable with a modified Freedos, and an MSDOS 6.22 boot disc, but neither of them resulted in a bootable system. However, placing the same controller in a 486, and giving the same CHS values in the 486's CMOS Setup, the latter has no problems accessing the card.

Please share with me your ideas and/or experiences. 😀 Thank you in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Trevize,

It's more than likely the BIOS in your 286 that isn't working properly with your card, even though you've set up the CF card partition to 117MB and formatted it. The best solution would be to burn an EPROM with the XTIDE BIOS https://code.google.com/p/xtideuniversalbios/ and then use it on a network card that has a boot rom socket.

The ver 1.X XTIDE bios allows HDD's/CF cards up to 8GB and the Ver 2.X bios allows up to 120GB HDD's. It allows you to boot from any IDE controller, primary or secondary, as well as autodetect your HDD size. I've had more success with the ver 1.X bios on older systems such 286's and 386's. You'll then be able to use the full 2GB of your CF card as well.

I used the XTIDE bios on my 286 bridgeboard in my Amiga 2000 to attach a CF card to it. It's in this thread Large IDE drives on 286/AT/ISA class machines

There are quite a few threads on Vogons about the XTIDE bios, just do a search for them for more info.

Cheers 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DDO software is great, I just think the XTIDE BIOS is a better long term solution. If you add more large drives, XTIDE will take care of it straight away for you, no need to install DDO on those drives.

Let me know if you want me to attach the XTIDE BIOS V1 and V2 files for you, they'll be preconfigured, checksummed, and increased in size to fit in a 27C128 (16KB) EPROM. Most network cards accept a 16KB image for their ROM sockets.

Cheers

Reply 6 of 8, by Trevize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
orcish75 wrote:

DDO software is great, I just think the XTIDE BIOS is a better long term solution. If you add more large drives, XTIDE will take care of it straight away for you, no need to install DDO on those drives.

Cheers

I agree with you, that's why I decided to stick with the XTIDE. I've read that there are some incompatibilities with DDO softwares (i.e.: unable to boot from a normal floppy drive), moreover, they add some CPU overhead, which I'd like to avoid in a case of a 10 MHz 286.

orcish75 wrote:

Let me know if you want me to attach the XTIDE BIOS V1 and V2 files for you, they'll be preconfigured, checksummed, and increased in size to fit in a 27C128 (16KB) EPROM. Most network cards accept a 16KB image for their ROM sockets.

I appreciate your help, but I'll try to build my own ROM first. 😀 At the moment I'm looking for somebody with an EPROM programmer.