VOGONS

Any Buckling Springs Fans on Vogons?

Topic actions

First post, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all! In November 2014, I purchased a custom-built Unicomp Classic 101 keyboard (PS/2), black on black with no printing on the keys, I also purchased some extra keycaps. Purchasing this keyboard has made me loving typing my college papers (or playing Doom 2 when I'm *supposed* to be typing my college papers 🤣 ). I absolutely love this keyboard, and buckling springs switches, the loud clackity sound they make just cannot be replicated by any Cherry MX or Topre switch. Unicomp is located in Lexington, KY, USA, which is also where I'm located, which is just plain awesome. But anyway, I went to their facility to pick up my keyboard instead of paying $20 to have it shipped 20 minutes. The employee that I picked my keyboard up from actually uses their own product, how flippin' awesome is that?

Now, I know a lot of you absolutely love the IBM/Lexmark Model M keyboard from the 1980s and 1990s, so post some pics of your Buckling Springs keyboard(s) in this thread!

I'll upload some pics of my keyboard here soon, but what's the maximum resolution I'm allowed to post on here?

Reply 1 of 84, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only use buckling spring keyboards on my vintage PCs. I have a Model F on my PC and AT, an XT model M on my XT, and everything else uses PS/2 model Ms. I had a black one with the track point for a while, but I felt it was inferior to the ones from the 80s so I sold it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 84, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't get a good angle, so I went with an 'artsy' shot 😎

Also, the camera on my phone makes everything look purple, but it's black I swear!

2kcoEB9l.jpg

Bought this guy from Unicomp about a year and a half ago. It's the classic 104 USB version. I have no idea how to change the keycaps. Do you just pull straight up on them? I've been too afraid to try.

Reply 4 of 84, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Model F, and a Model M Space Saver that I love. I wish I could find some more as that's my wife's #1 favorite and my 2nd favorite keyboard to use.

jwt27 wrote:
Yes! I got the industrial model M recently. Have a few more normal Ms but only one really works well, the others are in need of […]
Show full quote

Yes! I got the industrial model M recently. Have a few more normal Ms but only one really works well, the others are in need of new rivets/screws.

WPuQkvwh.jpg

Is that a PC-TRAC trackball I see with a "scroll wheel"? Where can I get one of those. My 286 and 486 have Microspeed serial PC-TRAC but I've always wanted to find a more modern variant for my main modern PC.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 5 of 84, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's right. It's the L-TRAC, basically a PC-TRAC with laser sensor, scroll wheel and USB: http://clearlysuperiortech.com/cst2545-5wproductpage.html

They come up on Massdrop occasionally with $50 discount, that's where I got mine from.
EDIT: looks like it's available right now, only 4 days left: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cst-lasertrac-trackball

Last edited by jwt27 on 2015-05-06, 16:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 84, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one clicky keyboard (which came with my first PC, an IBM ValuePoint), it has some novel value I guess, but otherwise it's just annoying, takes up far too much space and is very uncomfortable to use for any lengthy period of time. So now if I even use that machine I generally do so with a rubber dome keyboard. If it wasn't part of that system it would have gone in the bin with the other ones I had around ten years ago - please note, the ones I did throw out were broken anyway, I only wish I'd taken the keycaps off first.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 84, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I uses a Unicomp 122 keyboard. It's nice, but my newer system boots so fast I can't get into the bios with it half the time.
I have about a 1 second opening at best to get into the bios with it. It has some neet delay on it were the caps/num/scroll lock keys flicker, without it there would be no problem.

Reply 8 of 84, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a couple of M's myself. First, the one I use on my main rig:
yQkFCqKl.jpg
GXPX66Ql.jpg?1

Paid $30 for this off of eBay some time ago. Also found this dilapidated M from the dump recently:

gvxoQSjl.jpg
w3Eh6mvl.jpg

Yes, it does work! It's also a perfect match for my PS/2 model 30 that's in similar need of repair.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 9 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:
Paid $30 for this off of eBay some time ago. Also found this dilapidated M from the dump recently: […]
Show full quote

Paid $30 for this off of eBay some time ago. Also found this dilapidated M from the dump recently:

gvxoQSjl.jpg
w3Eh6mvl.jpg

Yes, it does work! It's also a perfect match for my PS/2 model 30 that's in similar need of repair.

I believe you can purchase brand new regular keys directly from Unicomp.

Also, does anybody know if I need a special type of keycap puller for buckling springs? I used two paper clips when I first got my Unicomp, they did the job but I just wanna be safe about removing keycaps.

Reply 10 of 84, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Also, does anybody know if I need a special type of keycap puller for buckling springs? I used two paper clips when I first got my Unicomp, they did the job but I just wanna be safe about removing keycaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrc0LpiyxeM

Reply 11 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EdBH7Tol.jpg

CLG104zl.jpg

LDXj9VTl.jpg

JOk8BLdl.jpg

Will delete post if photos are too large, hopefully I did this right 🤣. Really need to clean this keyboard.

Edit: whole album on Imgur here, super high-res: http://imgur.com/a/10i6c

Reply 12 of 84, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that a special model for children to learn how to play Halo? 😜

Oh, and believe me, that's not dirty. I could show you a keyboard that would make you sick to your stomach, but as it isn't a clicking one - or it isn't supposed to be, but it does sort of crunch - I won't unless provoked.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 13 of 84, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Typing this message on a Model M produced in 1990 - boltmodded too - i5 @ 3.3GHz with a 25 year old keyboard, eff yeah 😁
My retro system (P120) has another Model M attached.

I used to have 3 but one of them actually didn't survive a severe case of computer rage (was one of the really old ones with the aluminium IBM logo badges).
Still have quite a few keycaps, stamps and springs for spare at my parents' place.
Never paid more than $5 for any of them.

HighTreason you mean this one? Owned by scamp the organizer of the Breakpoint demoscene parties 😁
http://cl.jroo.me/z3/P/i/k/d/a.aaa.jpg

Last edited by shock__ on 2015-05-06, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 14 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Is that a special model for children to learn how to play Halo? 😜

Oh, and believe me, that's not dirty. I could show you a keyboard that would make you sick to your stomach, but as it isn't a clicking one - or it isn't supposed to be, but it does sort of crunch - I won't unless provoked.

Pictures don't do it justice 🤣, the sides of the keycaps are glossy so they attract crap tons of dust, but the tops are textured so they look fine.

Reply 15 of 84, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All the kids are into Cherries nowadays, usually MX Blues.

I have been looking at the EnduraPro, but I hear its TrackPoint isn't like the ones on ThinkPads.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 16 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
calvin wrote:

All the kids are into Cherries nowadays, usually MX Blues.

I have been looking at the EnduraPro, but I hear its TrackPoint isn't like the ones on ThinkPads.

I almost bought a $160 custom keyboard from WASDkeyboards with MX Greens before I bought my Unicomp. I knew about Unicomp then but didn't know that they were local, so I did my research and almost immediately purchased my keyboard from Unicomp instead, super glad I did 😀

Edit: I have a ThinkPad T400 with a trackpoint device and I love it, but I'm not sure if the one on the EnduraPro is like the ThinkPads, hopefully someone who owns one will say if it is or not.

Last edited by AlphaDangerDen on 2015-05-06, 21:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

What's the retail price of Unicomp buckling spring keyboards these days?

Seems they mostly range from $80 - $110, without shipping.

Their website is: http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Their site could use a makeover 🤣, but still a great company, nonetheless.

Reply 19 of 84, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

What's the retail price of Unicomp buckling spring keyboards these days?

like 100 ish
But you can get them on ebay for much less, new even. I got my 122key model M for 65$