VOGONS

Any Buckling Springs Fans on Vogons?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 84, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Through a couple of stupid errors, I managed to cause damage to both of the Model M keyboards that I have. On the first, an earlier model, I broke the escape key when it fell from a high place. Much later, some keys at the lower left stopped working for whatever reason.
The second one, a later model with the drainage channels, I put the casing in the dishwasher and warped it - so that one doesn't have a top anymore. Between those 2 Model Ms I made daily use of one or the other for a few years.

What I like about buckling springs is that the click positively tells you whether the key has registered. No click, no key. To the point that with my broken ESC key mentioned above, the only way to make that key work "coincidentally" also made it click. Click and function seem to be directly intertwined.
The keys on the Model M also slide smoothly without binding up. So I do think the build quality of the Model M keyboards is impressive. However, I didn't have much success learning to type with them. I think I have 2 problems. The lesser problem is that I frequently don't hit the keys square, as if the keycaps are too narrow or something. I don't know why I have that trouble, but it seems like I do.
The big problem I have though is the long throw of the keys. It seems like I'd get used to it, but I never did, I stumble on the Model M a lot, frequently getting keys out of order.
The keyboard I had from childhood through college years is a different mechanical type with Alps switches, so I guess that feel is just burned into me. I finally found one on eBay about a year ago and it definitely needs some refurbishment, but even in it's crummy current condition I felt immediately comfortable. It's like an old pair of shoes I guess. I don't think it's quality is as good as the model M but my mind is wired for it, apparently.

Reply 41 of 84, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

The big problem I have though is the long throw of the keys. It seems like I'd get used to it, but I never did, I stumble on the Model M a lot, frequently getting keys out of order.

Agreed, in addition to being way too noisy I couldn't use a model M at work. It's been cheap rubber domes for me since the early 90's so that's what I'm most productive on. The lenovo branded thing I'm typing this on is actually a really accurate and comfortable keyboard - plus, at the first sign of food buildup I'll just chuck it in the bin and grab another one off the shelf 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 42 of 84, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would go buckling spring in a heartbeat, except that my ears have become too sensitive to specific kinds of high-frequency noise, and loud clicking like that bothers me. It's not the loudness per-se, more like actual physical discomfort.
For now, MX Brown switches are a nice happy medium for me.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 43 of 84, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an Model M a few months ago at the flea market for some change.
Have another one as well but its letter N and M are not working.

I prefer alps mechanical switches over model M springs, but i prefer Model M with my retro PC.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 44 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
Through a couple of stupid errors, I managed to cause damage to both of the Model M keyboards that I have. On the first, an ear […]
Show full quote

Through a couple of stupid errors, I managed to cause damage to both of the Model M keyboards that I have. On the first, an earlier model, I broke the escape key when it fell from a high place. Much later, some keys at the lower left stopped working for whatever reason.
The second one, a later model with the drainage channels, I put the casing in the dishwasher and warped it - so that one doesn't have a top anymore. Between those 2 Model Ms I made daily use of one or the other for a few years.

What I like about buckling springs is that the click positively tells you whether the key has registered. No click, no key. To the point that with my broken ESC key mentioned above, the only way to make that key work "coincidentally" also made it click. Click and function seem to be directly intertwined.
The keys on the Model M also slide smoothly without binding up. So I do think the build quality of the Model M keyboards is impressive. However, I didn't have much success learning to type with them. I think I have 2 problems. The lesser problem is that I frequently don't hit the keys square, as if the keycaps are too narrow or something. I don't know why I have that trouble, but it seems like I do.
The keyboard I had from childhood through college years is a different mechanical type with Alps switches, so I guess that feel is just burned into me. I finally found one on eBay about a year ago and it definitely needs some refurbishment, but even in it's crummy current condition I felt immediately comfortable. It's like an old pair of shoes I guess. I don't think it's quality is as good as the model M but my mind is wired for it, apparently.

How loud are the Alps switches compared to the Buckling Springs?

Reply 46 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

It varies. Mine have a pleasant sound level, similar to a mouse click.

Which keyboard in particular are you using/did you use?

Reply 47 of 84, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A big problem with mechanical keyboards (old ones) is the space bar. Even if the sound level and feel is really nice, I get annoyed if the space bar is crappy.
The one that is absolutely perfect in terms of feel and sound is an no name keyboard with FCC ID HQK2VHKEYMOUSE. It has an large trackball for an mouse where the numpad should be.
hNbdgkOm.jpg

Reply 48 of 84, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

I tried clicking both types just now, and I would say mine are maybe 50-75% as loud, and a bit lower in tone. But if you're actually typing on them furiously I'm not sure if there's much noticeable difference in volume. They're still loud enough to annoy people, I remember an issue with using it in a room where somebody was sleeping.
I guess the main difference in noise is that the buckling spring has more of a "twinging" sound, instead of a dead click. I will say again the buckling spring feels like a more impressively built mechanism, even though it doesn't work as well for me.

The Alps based keyboard I'm comparing to is a Wang 725-7951-US which came with one of their 386SX PCs. Although it came with said system, it has an XT/AT switch on the bottom of it, so maybe it was used earlier as well. The keyswitches are Alps branded and white, which from what I gather might mean something as it relates to relative noise level. I don't know much about the variants of Alps switches that are out there.

Reply 49 of 84, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

A big problem with mechanical keyboards (old ones) is the space bar. Even if the sound level and feel is really nice, I get annoyed if the space bar is crappy.

Funny you mention it, the spacebar is what broke on the first Wang keyboard I had. I always assumed my dog had stepped on it when I left it on the floor. I replaced the keyboard, but the current one isn't working that great, the spacebar is a bit sticky.
The spacebar also broke on our old Apple IIc. I don't know why, maybe somebody stepped on that too. I always had to hit that thing from one side, because the other side was sagging and didn't work.

Reply 50 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
I tried clicking both types just now, and I would say mine are maybe 50-75% as loud, and a bit lower in tone. But if you're act […]
Show full quote
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

I tried clicking both types just now, and I would say mine are maybe 50-75% as loud, and a bit lower in tone. But if you're actually typing on them furiously I'm not sure if there's much noticeable difference in volume. They're still loud enough to annoy people, I remember an issue with using it in a room where somebody was sleeping.
I guess the main difference in noise is that the buckling spring has more of a "twinging" sound, instead of a dead click. I will say again the buckling spring feels like a more impressively built mechanism, even though it doesn't work as well for me.

The Alps based keyboard I'm comparing to is a Wang 725-7951-US which came with one of their 386SX PCs. Although it came with said system, it has an XT/AT switch on the bottom of it, so maybe it was used earlier as well. The keyswitches are Alps branded and white, which from what I gather might mean something as it relates to relative noise level. I don't know much about the variants of Alps switches that are out there.

I actually plan on buying a Dell AT101W keyboard with Alps switches for my closet game server, they usually go for under $40 USD.

Reply 51 of 84, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

I actually plan on buying a Dell AT101W keyboard with Alps switches for my closet game server, they usually go for under $40 USD.

I looked up a picture and it looks interesting. It has the larger Enter key but instead of squeezing in the '\' next to the backspace, they put it down in the lower left. That would take some getting used to, but I like the symmetry of '/' and '\' in opposite positions like that.
The wiki page I saw for it http://deskthority.net/wiki/Dell_AT101
says the AT101W have Black switches, which are described as "Tactile" as opposed to "Clicky" http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series#Variants
I've never used them, but since they're called "Tactile" I would guess they're a bit quieter than some.

However, that site's wiki for my keyboard shows completely different switches than I have, so they might not be listing all the possible switches for the Dell AT101W either.

Reply 52 of 84, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-2000_Plus i have 1 of this,works ok except 1 of the "." keys it's malfunctioning,even if i don't press the key,it activates.

Reply 53 of 84, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Throwing another budget clicky keyboard option out there... Acer/Viglen 6310. (not my pic)
I have one and like it, very clicky and has nice-quality keycaps with dye sub markings.

800px-Acer_6312-TW_--_top.jpg

Reply 54 of 84, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know IBM Ms and also used them in the past, and yes they are good, but I never lost my love for Focus FK-2001 keyboards and never stopped missing them. I used at least three of them, destroyed all (all my fault) and never had a chance to get another after the supply diminished. Found a guy in US a few years back selling them 180 USD each (NOS taken over by himself after the supplier company bankrupted). I considered buying one even with that price but didn't, considering it will be both pricey and problematic since I need a Turkish Q layout.

600x402px-LL-63e70db5_DSC_00182.jpeg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 55 of 84, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got a similar model it is an 5000 model.
It has some special keys that i dont know how to use, and an calculator 🤣.

Reply 56 of 84, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:
I looked up a picture and it looks interesting. It has the larger Enter key but instead of squeezing in the '\' next to the bac […]
Show full quote
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

I looked up a picture and it looks interesting. It has the larger Enter key but instead of squeezing in the '\' next to the backspace, they put it down in the lower left. That would take some getting used to, but I like the symmetry of '/' and '\' in opposite positions like that.
says the AT101W have Black switches, which are described as "Tactile" as opposed to "Clicky" http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series#Variants
I've never used them, but since they're called "Tactile" I would guess they're a bit quieter than some.

However, that site's wiki for my keyboard shows completely different switches than I have, so they might not be listing all the possible switches for the Dell AT101W either.

I am typing on a Dell AT101W right now, I picked it up for $2 at a thrift store. Sometimes you can really get lucky with vintage gear at a thrift store and this was maybe the best $2 I ever spent at one. The keyboard needed a cleaning and had some yellowing on the keys, but now looks and functions great. Mine is a US model, so no fat Enter keys. It has the black ALPS switches. It is weird because the name has 101 in it, but it has 104 keys.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 57 of 84, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:
shamino wrote:
I looked up a picture and it looks interesting. It has the larger Enter key but instead of squeezing in the '\' next to the bac […]
Show full quote
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

I am typing on a Dell AT101W right now, I picked it up for $2 at a thrift store. Sometimes you can really get lucky with vintage gear at a thrift store and this was maybe the best $2 I ever spent at one. The keyboard needed a cleaning and had some yellowing on the keys, but now looks and functions great. Mine is a US model, so no fat Enter keys. It has the black ALPS switches. It is weird because the name has 101 in it, but it has 104 keys.

Were the keycaps easy to remove?

Reply 58 of 84, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Were the keycaps [of the AT101W] easy to remove?

No, but if you have a chip puller, it is bearable.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 59 of 84, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any threads on the board that compare different switch types (brand/make against brand/make rather than comparing different styles of Cherry MX switches, for example)? I've been wanting to take the plunge into mechanical keyboards as I'm using an old Saitek that's rapidly shedding paint on keys and feeling a bit beat up and want something with really solid build quality, but the prices keep putting me off.