VOGONS

Should I rescue this stuff?

Topic actions

First post, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across this listing last night. It's a sealed DOS 6.3/Windows 3.11 package destined for the trash on Wednesday.

It's not much use to me as these are easily available online and I'm not into collecting software, but I'd hate to see these things go to waste. It's 45 minutes and a couple bucks in tolls away from me. Should I be a hero and scoop it up?

Reply 1 of 26, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I had lived in the US, the land of cheap shipping and gas I would have paid you to rescue them.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 26, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

$1200 + 300% VAT for its value added-ness. Any takers?

In all seriousness I may just ship it to somebody on here who can appreciate it more than me.

Last edited by joe6pack on 2015-05-11, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 26, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
joe6pack wrote:

I'll just pretend you are. I've made up my mind, I'm going to scoop this up.

Good thing!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 7 of 26, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I went and picked it up. I even got to have a look at some of the damage from a tornado that came through about a month ago.

There used to be a diner here:
fTgokl0l.jpg

More broken stuff:
wYlC4u5l.jpg

And now for the goodies.

I really want to open this box and check out what's all inside. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? It looks to be the box it was shipped in.

9hXDQj6l.jpg

Reply 9 of 26, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

If I had lived in the US, the land of cheap shipping and gas I would have paid you to rescue them.

I am sorry for off-topic, but...How much do you guys pay for fuel right now? Quick google check shows that you guys currently pay $1.71 per gallon while I pay $2.5 over here? Cheap shipping? Are you sure it's about the U.S.?

Reply 10 of 26, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I am sorry for off-topic, but...How much do you guys pay for fuel right now? Quick google check shows that you guys currently pay $1.71 per gallon while I pay $2.5 over here? Cheap shipping? Are you sure it's about the U.S.?

I believe that'd be $1.71 per litre so roughly $6.46/gal.

Reply 11 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joe6pack wrote:

$1200 + 300% VAT for its value added-ness. Any takers?

In all seriousness I may just ship it to somebody on here who can appreciate it more than me.

Oh, I would love to have it. I don't have a OS older than Windows 98 SE, and I would love to have a version that is 100% pure dos and a Windows 3.1 disc would also be sweet.

Reply 12 of 26, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joe6pack wrote:
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Oh, I see. Ouch, that's expensive. Well, at least they only pay like $40 for internet+cable TV while we pay like $140.

Reply 13 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
joe6pack wrote:

Can not be 6.64/gal... That's too much for even the US.
The price in the us, is roughly 1/3 and shurely less than 50% price compared to Denmark.
A higher pricetag just seem quite wrong or off in some way.

Here in denmark, the price is (I just calculate using the current Kroners vs. US-Dollars),
roughly 1.18 dollars for one litre of gasoline.
So... One gallon of gasoline have the pricetag of 4,4 Us-Dollars here in Denmark.

It's actually 8 kroners for one litre of gasoline, and the prices has been going down.
A couple of years ago, the price was somewhere between 12 and 15 Kroners a litre.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 26, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Can not be 6.64/gal... That's too much for even the US. The price in the us, is roughly 1/3 and shurely less than 50% price comp […]
Show full quote
joe6pack wrote:

Can not be 6.64/gal... That's too much for even the US.
The price in the us, is roughly 1/3 and shurely less than 50% price compared to Denmark.
A higher pricetag just seem quite wrong or off in some way.

Here in denmark, the price is (I just calculate using the current Kroners vs. US-Dollars),
roughly 1.18 dollars for one litre of gasoline.
So... One gallon of gasoline have the pricetag of 4,4 Us-Dollars here in Denmark.

It's actually 8 kroners for one litre of gasoline, and the prices has been going down.
A couple of years ago, the price was somewhere between 12 and 15 Kroners a litre.

My numbers just came from a quick google "gas price in sweden" which came up with 1.53 EUR, which is (currently) $1.72. Your numbers are obviously correct since you actually live over there in Europe 🤣

Anyways, any objections to me cracking this box open and checking it out?

Reply 15 of 26, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Open it, I been waiting to see whats inside it. 😁
That being said, the gas in Europe is higher octane then here in the US. And it sucks drive a euro car in the US. My jag hates anything lower then 93 octane but runs best on 95~100 octane. 😵

Last edited by frisky dingo on 2015-05-12, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frisky dingo wrote:

That being said, the gas in Europe is higher octane then here in the US. And it sucks driver a euro car in the US. My jag hates anything lower then 93 octane but runs best on 95~100 octane. 😵

Yeah...
We have 92 and 95 here. If you are really lucky, then you could find 98.
(98 is considered really luxury stuff)
Most places only sell 92, 95 and diesel though.

Reply 17 of 26, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Yeah... We have 92 and 95 here. If you are really lucky, then you could find 98. (98 is considered really luxury stuff) Most pla […]
Show full quote
frisky dingo wrote:

That being said, the gas in Europe is higher octane then here in the US. And it sucks driver a euro car in the US. My jag hates anything lower then 93 octane but runs best on 95~100 octane. 😵

Yeah...
We have 92 and 95 here. If you are really lucky, then you could find 98.
(98 is considered really luxury stuff)
Most places only sell 92, 95 and diesel though.

Most places where I'm at in the US sell 87, 89 and 93. but I few places still sell 83 and 85.

Reply 18 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frisky dingo wrote:

Most places where I'm at in the US sell 87, 89 and 93. but I few places still sell 83 and 85.

Below 90? Wow! 😳

EDIT:
I was wrong about the prices... A week ago, it was like 8 to 9 kroners.
Today, its about 10 to 12 depending on the octane.
http://www.fdmbenzinpriser.dk/searchprices/1/

Reply 19 of 26, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ooooooooooh...this is WAY cooler than I thought it'd be. I'm really glad I saved these from the trash.

A nice letter thanking me for my purchase of a PS/2. You're welcome IBM!
lkZIwORl.jpg

Windows 3.11, sealed with manual
e5ccpUsl.jpg

The pièce de résistance, PC DOS 6.3, also sealed with manual
2fNPhhfl.jpg

Floppies!
rbvfUvHl.jpg