VOGONS

Windows Server?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can modify Win98's login screen to have no cancel button. I think X-Setup 6 has the option to enable this as well as a few other security enhancements if you don't want to go digging in the registry.

Forget Linux, it has no advantages other than being better at serving .php pages... And let's face it, if you use PHP you may as well do the world a favor and end your own life now. You also need a cray to run the damn thing and compatibility and the user interface are practically non-existent.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 21 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
calvin wrote:

You can't really secure 98, it barely has any concept of security. Setting up a Lanman/NT style domain is a bit silly if you can just edit group policies locally. If you /really/ want to do this, do it with something period appropriate or Linux. (Samba works fine for file sharing after enabling Lanman auth, and you can probably set up an NT4-style domain.)

if i can prevent her from logging onto the 98 machine my goal is achived 🤣

Reply 22 of 33, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kids are smarter than you think. At that age I was breaking all kinds of stuff on the computer.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 26 of 33, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Forget Linux, it has no advantages other than being better at serving .php pages... And let's face it, if you use PHP you may as well do the world a favor and end your own life now. You also need a cray to run the damn thing and compatibility and the user interface are practically non-existent.

Yeah? And what web technology was it then again, that Vogons is based on?
Naaa... Just messing around with you man. 😁

The fact is, that over 60%,of the websites in the world is based on PHP.
ASP.NET is for those that wish to make big money as programmers.
One in ten web integrator (web programmer) education in Denmark is ASP.NET based.
The other 9 is PHP. If one want to make it big, then deep knowledge of both helps.

For Linux user interfaces. There are a lot of different stuff.
You could go for the basic stuff like gnome, xfce or kde.
Yet there are a different type. The browser based ones like webmin.
It's a sort of interface that works just like a basic router admin tool.

For the more hard-core people, you just go about in Linux just as it was an really advanced version of DOS.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27 of 33, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the case is just to protect the computer from kid what about setting up a SETUP password? A 5-yo won't be able (probably) to open the case and remove the battery or short the CLRCMOS jumper.

Reply 28 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/\ This should be the best course of action... unless the board uses one of those Dallas chips (the non 'A' variants that do not support the CLEAR pins... I don't think they were used in PCs though).

Reply 29 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

/\ This should be the best course of action... unless the board uses one of those Dallas chips (the non 'A' variants that do not support the CLEAR pins... I don't think they were used in PCs though).

would excel she is bright, and very good with google 🤣

Reply 30 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just get one of those cases that can be locked, like this:
internet-cafe-computer-case.jpg
AFAIK most cases do have that notch, and if you put a lock in there when the case is closed, you can't open it without eiter breaking the lock or having the key. This, SURELY, should keep a young girl from messing with it.

Reply 32 of 33, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

So recently acquired a copy of Server 2003, i made sure it came with a legal COA as well. So I'm wondering what do yall think about using it on my Pentium 4 that sits idle to setup a domain controller/ftp client on. And can server 2003 domains function properly on windows 8.1 computers?

My current server (Windows server 2003) is an Athlon 64 with 1.5GB ram and two 750GB raid1 ide drives on an am2+ board and it runs good. But seems to need more ram than Windows XP to perform well. Only issues I have is when I am doing a USB 3.0 transfer the machine cannot do any other thing without slugging. Also when using the search window to access my 300GB of files it also slugs down when you try to multitask. Then again, I've noticed the same search window freeze problem on period correct Pentium 4 WinXP PCs.... They still were surprisingly not ideally fast enough for indexing.. 😒

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 33 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember back in the day most PC magazines and "tech" websites usually recommended that you disable indexing. They did it back in Win 98 (Office's FastFind) through XP days. When Vista came out I don't recall seeing that anymore... as perhaps it stopped making much of a difference.