VOGONS

First post, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys! I have a tricky challenge for the Retro Gurus here...
I have an FIC VB-601 with 256 MB latest BIOS to support big HD's (160GB), a point of view FX5200, unofficial NVIDIA driver 82.xx and a P3@550.
The problem is that I cant change the resolution from 640*480.
I have installed the Intel Chipset SW Installation Util 6.0.1.1002 date May 07,2004
Can some one point me the right path to solve the problem? Could it be a problem with chipset drivers? Wich version should I use? Cant find any drivers for my MB.
Thank you all for your kind help

Reply 3 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok next get driver cleaner pro 1.5 and clean out all the drivers and start over, also make sure your gart driver is installed

Reply 6 of 13, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Change the monitor type to anything but default.

^^^ This ^^^

Go to device manager and change "Default Monitor" to Standard 1280x1024 display" or whatever resolution your monitor supports.

Reply 7 of 13, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, nothing worked 😖 I have tried all the tips. So I have changed MOBO. A good friend offered me an Jetway v.933AS-L BIOS N11 (chipset VIA) with P3@1Ghz. I have fitted and ID 20GB (Master), 82GB Slave and DVD ROM. Pulled out FX5200 and fitted on this. When I booted, I had all the resolutions (after installed Official ForceWare, DX9 and the drivers from VIA -> VIA 4in1 version 4in1443v) from this: https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/ … A_4in1_443v.zip ---> http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl
After a while, the PC hanged or rebooted by itself (I cant remember) and I never could change resolution from 640x480. I have formated the PC over 10 times (windows 98 SE) and no good results. BRW I cant install nvidia drivers in safe mode, pop up an error "cant find nvidia chip".
Could it be BIOS settings? can someone give me an hint to BIOS settings. I am starting to get tired from this. I had back those times an P3, RIVA TNT2 and never had this problem.
Please help an desesperated guy!

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try NVIDIA driver 45.23 or 43.45 (oldest with 5200 support). I've seen problems on some old motherboards with the later drivers.

DirectX version doesn't matter. The drivers will install regardless of the version. In fact I suggest you not go beyond DirectX 7.0A on Win98 unless you are certain you need a newer DirectX.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you post a picture of your display control panel, i.e. where you change the resolution?

jcarvalho wrote:

I have formated the PC over 10 times (windows 98 SE) and no good results.

Instead of reinstalling over and over again, it might be useful to make an image of the drive after you finish the installation (but before you install any drivers). Then you can just restore the image when you need a fresh install.

Reply 11 of 13, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Can you post a picture of your display control panel, i.e. where you change the resolution?

jcarvalho wrote:

Instead of reinstalling over and over again, it might be useful to make an image of the drive after you finish the installation (but before you install any drivers). Then you can just restore the image when you need a fresh install.

Sure my friend, I will do it when I get back from work, today.
Thanks for your kind help!

Reply 12 of 13, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

jcarvalho wrote:

Good thinking! I have done it! thanks! now I restore the system in 1m30sec!!

Reply 13 of 13, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found the problem, believe it or not, it was a faulty Voodoo2 attached to the mobo!!! When running donut demo, it freezes the computer after 10 seconds of running the demo. With or without the drivers installed, the voodoo was messing with mobo/settings... swapped by another voodoo2 and now all is working fine.... time to hunt for memory chips for voodoo and replace them all