VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says, I need help locating an -EXACT- cd-rom for a certain sound blaster live. Target OS is Windows 98 SE. I've tried a couple "sb live" ISO's in the past but some of them either lock up the OS during the install, or crash with a BSOD trying to reboot, or something funky, or if they do work, the card doesn't work after reboot.

I know the card works fine because I've popped it in to an XP-32 system and windows finds native drivers for it and it plays audio and mp3's just awesomely, so the card is fine.. I'm just finding the wrong discs.

So this is the card:
r_DSC05416.jpg

Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/sblive/DSC05416.jpg

If someone out there could point me to the exact, correct ISO For Win98se please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kithylin on 2016-07-12, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Thank you! I'll give it a try in about an hour or two when I get 98se installed 😀

Oh this is awefully small.. I think this is just the basic sound drivers... I was sort of looking for the entire Sound blaster live SUITE off the original install CD .... Mainly with the soundfont options, and the dos emulation that loads to run dos games inside win98.

Reply 3 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original install CD should date from late 1999, when the 5.1 cards came out.

I'd give this a shot: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=33,0

The Live!Ware 3.0 CD is from the time period the cards came out, but seems to have been released just before the 5.1 cards came to market.

Reply 5 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that was the link I wanted to post... oops. The card you have is an OEM variant that won't have drivers on retail card installs anyway. That is of course if the PCI device ID was changed.

Reply 6 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote:

Well that was the link I wanted to post... oops. The card you have is an OEM variant that won't have drivers on retail card installs anyway. That is of course if the PCI device ID was changed.

I found it in a generic whitebox PC... sigh, if I can't find the full software package for it, I might toss it, proper cards are cheap these days. I have another one here.. time to see what it is.

Reply 7 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the other one I have, any chance I'll find a retail disc to cover it maybe?

DSC05418.JPG

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-03-29, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 18, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought one of these as a bulk card from a computer dealer in 2001. I was given a CD-ROM with the following printed on the disc:

CD PN: 2201ML0003060/CD ASSEMBLY PN: 3201ML0003060

The README.1st file is as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Sound Blaster Live! Readme First File
June 2001

This document provides late-breaking or other information that
supplements the Sound Blaster Live! documentation.

--------
CONTENTS
--------
1. DIRECTORY STRUCTURE OF THIS CD-ROM

2. INSTALLING IN WINDOWS 95/98/Me/2000/NT 4.0

===================================================================

1. DIRECTORY STRUCTURE OF THIS CD-ROM
----------------------------------
This CD-ROM is divided into the following subdirectories:

|-\AUDIO\ENGLISH\SETUP - Creative Sound Blaster Live! Setup
| Software
|
|-\AUDIO\ENGLISH\WIN9XDRV - Creative Sound Blaster Live! Drivers
| (for Windows 95/98)
|
|-\AUDIO\ENGLISH\NT4DRV - Creative Sound Blaster Live! Drivers
| (for Windows NT 4.0)
|
|-\AUDIO\ENGLISH\WDMDRV - Creative Sound Blaster Live! Drivers
| (for Windows 2000/Me)
|
|-\DIRECTX - Microsoft DirectX 7.0a
| (for Windows 95/98/Me/2000)
|
|-\ACROBAT - Acrobat Reader 4.0
| (for Windows 95/98/NT4/Me/2000)
|
|-\SOUNDFONT LIBRARY - Sound Blaster Live! SoundFont samples
|
|
|-\MANUALS - Online documentation for the software
| in this CD (in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
| The Adobe Acrobat Reader software is also
| included in this CD)
|
|-\OOZIC - Oozic Player 3.0
| (For Windows 98/ME/2000)
|
|-\DIABLO2 - Diablo2 Demo

Please refer to the user documentation that comes with your
Sound Blaster package for more information on these software
applications.

2. INSTALLING IN WINDOWS 95/98/Me/2000/NT 4.0
-------------------------------------------
If you have Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT 4.0 on your system, the
Show last 27 lines
     software installation process is simple as this CD-ROM is 
Autoplay-enabled.

Follow the steps outlined below:

(a) Insert this CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive.

(b) The Sound Blaster 'Welcome' screen, which contains a menu
of available options, will appear. This is the Setup
Options menu.

(c) Select the applications you want to install, and then click
the OK button. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete
the installation.

If you want to reinstall any of the software on the CD-ROM
later, you can eject the Sound Blaster CD-ROM from your CD-ROM
drive, and then close the CD-ROM tray.

Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT 4.0 will recognize the Sound Blaster
CD-ROM's Autoplay feature and the Setup Options menu will be
made available again.

Copyright (c) 2001 Creative Technology Ltd. All rights reserved.
End of Readme First File

The vsb010x.inf indicates the following:

; Creative Technology Ltd.
; Copyright (c) Creative Technology Ltd, 1994-2001.
;
; Description
; This inf file contains the following device for installation
; a. SB0100 - SBLive! 5.1 (PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80621102)
; a. SB0102 - SBLive! 5.1 (PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80641102)
;
; Date : 10 May 2001
; Revision : 1.00

I don't know that the VOGONS Vintage Drive Library has this particular disc. Note that it includes a DIablo 2 demo, and although it isn't listed in the README.1ST, it does include DOS drivers.

Reply 9 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh.. sounds like you have exactly what I'm looking for. Any chance I could get you to image it and put it up somewhere? Dropbox is free and would work.

And MagicISO is a free 'virtual' drive thing, and it has an ISO-generating-from-CD option from the right-click menu. 100% freeware, no ads either.

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicd … sc-overview.htm

Reply 10 of 18, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is my pokey upload speed (256 kbps <== Note the 'k'). I dumped the contents onto a hard drive and compressed it, and it is still over 450 MB, so I would be looking at about 5 hours of real time to upload it. I don't really mind that, but my ISP (AT&T) and these upload services don't seem to get along (I can't seem to sustain a connection long enough or fast enough to upload something).

My Linux OS has software to create ISOs, so that isn't an issue.

Maybe I can find another way to get it to the VOGONS Library.

Reply 11 of 18, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps make split archives at a size you know you can upload successfully and get someone to recombine it later? Maybe PM someone you trust who has access to the library about doing this? Or just link the files in the thread.

I too have crappy upload (224kbit/s at time of writing this, though it fluctuates and usually gets worse, <100k around midnight) so I've had to resort to this technique in a few places. Until recently I also had some systems where floppies were the only way to move things to and from them, so I got quite good at making split WinRAR SFX's... It was very very tedious.

I don't have access to the library, so no point in asking me for anything else.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The LiveWare! 3.0 CD likely works with the CT4780. Its certainly worth a shot. I think I have the same card here, it appears to be another OEM only product.

Reply 13 of 18, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to get off-topic, but I wanted to share what I have.

I have what I thought was a driver disc for the CT4830, but closer examination shows that the wsi10k1.inf file says this:

;  This inf file contains the following device for installation
; Full-Feature WDM installation.
; a. CT4832 - SBlive! Value PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102
; b. CT4760 - SBlive! Value PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80401102
;
; Date : 5 January 2001
; Revision : 1.02

The readme.1st says this:

March 2001

This driver disc appears to have the final version of LiveWare v3.0 drivers for win9x and it has been working fine with my CT4830 for quite some time now. However, I've also tried installing the "real" LiveWare v3.0 with the CT4830 cards and the software is different. Mostly, the DOS drivers seem to work differently. With the disc I mentioned above, a DOS driver named "devldr16.dll" is used. The "real" LiveWare v3.0 uses something else that I can't remember at the moment.

Have I unwittingly been running the wrong drivers and software all this time? The CT4832 and CT4830 cards seem like they may be the same. Should I be worried?

Reply 14 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:
Sorry to get off-topic, but I wanted to share what I have. […]
Show full quote

Sorry to get off-topic, but I wanted to share what I have.

I have what I thought was a driver disc for the CT4830, but closer examination shows that the wsi10k1.inf file says this:

;  This inf file contains the following device for installation
; Full-Feature WDM installation.
; a. CT4832 - SBlive! Value PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102
; b. CT4760 - SBlive! Value PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80401102
;
; Date : 5 January 2001
; Revision : 1.02

The readme.1st says this:

March 2001

This driver disc appears to have the final version of LiveWare v3.0 drivers for win9x and it has been working fine with my CT4830 for quite some time now. However, I've also tried installing the "real" LiveWare v3.0 with the CT4830 cards and the software is different. Mostly, the DOS drivers seem to work differently. With the disc I mentioned above, a DOS driver named "devldr16.dll" is used. The "real" LiveWare v3.0 uses something else that I can't remember at the moment.

Have I unwittingly been running the wrong drivers and software all this time? The CT4832 and CT4830 cards seem like they may be the same. Should I be worried?

Not sure on your idea there. The driver CD-ROM that akula65 sent me yesterday seems to have inf entries for both the SB0100 and the CT4780 cards. I haven't gotten a chance to go test it yet.. carmageddon: reincarnation released today and I've been playing that all night. But it looks like I have the disc I need now, more than likely.

Reply 15 of 18, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was worried that I may have used the wrong SBLive! drivers in my PC with the CT4830, so I just checked it out. The CT4830 reports itself as "PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102". Thus, it does appear that the CT4830 and CT4832 are identical cards with different numbers on them. 😕

Reply 17 of 18, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

The disc from akula65 is now online here:

Sound Blaster Live! Install Retail Disc

Nice! Sharing with others is kind of what vogons is all about. And I like the credit to akula65 too. 😎 😀

Reply 18 of 18, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did get the BSOD with the CD images available on vogonsdrivers, updating the drivers to the latest ones available on creative website solved the issue and everything worked fine after that. But I will try this one to, thanks!