VOGONS

fiancee has given me a limit

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So my fiancee gave me a limit on computers I can keep in our apartment, its a small 2 bedroom so i can understand her reasoning behind it, im taking up to much space. I can have 4 computers total but only 3 can be desktops. And I want a happy life, so I've gotta make her happy yall know how it goes.

I shall list the systems I have, and let yall give input on what to keep, and what to get rid of.

Systems I've got

FX6300, AMD 970, GTX 660, Windows 8.1 Pro *primary computer*

Opteron 144 Socket 939, Nforce 3 Ultra, X800XT PE, Windows XP Pro

Pentium 4 3.2 Socket 478, Intel 875p, 6800GS, Windows 2000 Pro

Athlon XP 2800+, Via KT333, Geforce 3 Ti 500, Windows ME

Pentium 3 800, 440bx, Geforce 4 MX 440, Windows 98SE

K6-2 400, Via MVP3, Riva TNT2 Pro, Windows 98SE *almost a clone of my first computer*

My thoughts where keep the opteron, main, and K6-2 and sell the rest

Reply 1 of 47, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The four you enjoy and use the most of course 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well i dont own a laptop so it comes down to 3 desktops 🤣, as for use and enjoy, i enjoy all of them, but only use the K6, Opteron and FX currently due to lack of space to setup another monitor with dual input 🤣

Reply 4 of 47, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the k6 machine is a def must keep due to the nostalgia factor, the fx6300 is your main pc and should be kept as well. The only real contender I could see would be the p4 setup vs the Opteron and I think the Opteron is the better system of the two and you are using it more anyways 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r.cade wrote:

If she is only your Fiance, this is not a good start. Dump her now before you waste money and years on someone who wants you to follow her rules and change you.

no its a problem of space, once we can afford a house, she doesn't care. Right now its a 2 bedroom apartment, me and her have the master bedroom, her daughter has the other one. This leaves my computers sitting in our living space taking up space and getting in the way of daily life, its why I don't have a 3rd desk and a 3rd LCD currently, I thought about a KVM but a good KVM only goes so far and wont for instance transfer over things like game port devices, and usb game controllers, and most wont support sending out a 5.1 audio signal or even have good audio quality or I'd have done a KVM 🤣. But me and her already talked and I do agree with her, and when we can afford a house, I will get either a room for my hobby or the garage if we buy a house with one. So leaving her over this seems rather foolish.

Reply 7 of 47, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd choose the same.

I keep like 10 desktops in our two bedroom apartment. I also use the living room and have 5 PC's under my desk and 5 more in a closet. Not counting like 50+ different cards, motherboards, bunch of hdds, etc... But on my desk its only 26" LCD and a i5 laptop. In a corner of a desk is 22" LCD and a "test" bench when I play with my stuff. The desk is always full of mess... At the moment there is also a 15" Trinitron under my desk and like 10 boxed graphics cards from 6600GT to HD6870.

From time to time she nags about my "corner"... But I'm in luck because my parents house is like 20km away and I moved the rest of my stuff there - mainly PC cases and CRT monitors.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 47, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r.cade wrote:

If she is only your Fiance, this is not a good start. Dump her now before you waste money and years on someone who wants you to follow her rules and change you.

🤣. You've got your head in the clouds mate.

When you share a small living space out of necessity, compromise is always needed. For all we know, she has had to thin out her hobby supplies too, and we know there's a kid in the mix.

There's nothing at all wrong with her asking him to make fairer use of their shared resource. And besides, they're just computers, it's not like he has to sell his arms.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 47, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
r.cade wrote:

Well... This was my initial thought as well. (lasted about two seconds).
Yeah... Small space = compromises.

Keep the main/primaery machine and the K6 machine.
Then take apart the rest, and build a third system to keep.
Keep a couple of cards that you REALLY like (for spareparts)

Build system out of the rest or sell as parts. (whatever makes the most money)
Pamper her and her daughter with a good dinner or something else, using the money you got from selling.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 47, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait a minute... There is an P3 440BX too? Keep that, instead of building a third system from scratch.
Perhaps use that GF3 instead. And perhaps move it to the case you like the best of those you want to get rid of.

The list is:
Keep the main/primaery machine, keep the P3 440BX system and keep the K6 system. Get rid of the rest.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 47, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Well the k6 machine is a def must keep due to the nostalgia factor, the fx6300 is your main pc and should be kept as well. The only real contender I could see would be the p4 setup vs the Opteron and I think the Opteron is the better system of the two and you are using it more anyways 😀

What? The Pee4 should be the first to go. Keep the P3 or the Opteron. Which one do you use more?

Reply 14 of 47, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
r.cade wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣

But seriously, whatever you do, keep the BX in addition to your main comp and your K6-2, and sell or part out the rest. I'd also keep some video cards, namely the 6800GS and the GF3, if at all possible.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 15 of 47, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As some have already said, keep the ones you use the most. But don't give up on the others before trying to find a temporary shelter to them - be it parents/family/friends house or even renting a space, if it's possible.

Reply 16 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the ones used daily are

K6-2, Opteron and Main

the others arn't even plugged in 🤣

SquallStrife wrote:
LOL. You've got your head in the clouds mate. […]
Show full quote
r.cade wrote:

🤣. You've got your head in the clouds mate.

When you share a small living space out of necessity, compromise is always needed. For all we know, she has had to thin out her hobby supplies too, and we know there's a kid in the mix.

There's nothing at all wrong with her asking him to make fairer use of their shared resource. And besides, they're just computers, it's not like he has to sell his arms.

She did indeed get rid of some stuff, some shoes, some clothing, and she pruned herself back to only 4 purses 🤣. And agreed, most of those systems the parts are widely available and easy enough to replace 🤣.

Cloest space is at a premium, we have one closet in the childs room, one in the master bedroom and thats it, no other closet so closet is out, as for just storing them under the desk, thats what I am currently doing, but it looks cluttered like that in our living room and so far the kid has accidently knocked 2 over, both still work but she has knocked them over just being a little girl and playing in the house. My bigger concern is keeping the soon to be Wife happy, makeing sure the house looks clean and tidy because we do like to have company over, and making sure its child safe.

And before you ask, she wont under any condition allow my computers in the bedroom, I've asked, and I don't want to sleep on the couch again 🤣.

Reply 17 of 47, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Move the stuff you dont use to your work then bring it back home piece by piece when you need it... by the time all is back she will have bought 5 new purses... Or if at all possible just keep surplus stuff at work for ever and ever, you would not believe how much crap we have laying around where I work.

Another choice is to get a few of these CM Elite 361 cases, build a stack connect everything to a KVM switch and convince her the hole stack is one single system 😀

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/elite-361/

The whole woman upgrading thing dosnt work as smoothly when you have children...

In any case make sure the Opteron stays.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 18 of 47, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

II's of course my preference, but three retro PC's that I use frequently are a PIII 1000, An MMX 233, and a Athlon 64 3700+

Basically, a PIII era machine for Windows 98 (PIII 1000), a socket 7 era machine for Windows 3.1/DOS (MMX 233), and a P4 era machine for Windows XP (Athlon 64 3800+). From your list with that logic I would choose:

Opteron 144 Socket 939, Nforce 3 Ultra, X800XT PE, Windows XP Pro
Pentium 3 800, 440bx, Geforce 4 MX 440, Windows 98SE
K6-2 400, Via MVP3, Riva TNT2 Pro, Windows 98SE

The only problem here, you need to choose 1 primary plus 2 retro pieces. I suggest to have a 4 port KVM switch, and use same display, speaker, keyboard, mouse setup for all your PCs. In this case, having 3 cases or 4 under/on top of your desk will not make any difference.

r.cade wrote:

I'm sorry for being blunt, but one of "The Stupidest" ideas about any given relationship is this one. Coming from a teen with a little or no real life experience, it might be acceptable, but if coming from an "adult", it's just pathetic. Any relationship is about sharing, and consequently, about compromises. If the relationship mentioned is about sharing your life (fiancée, wife, partner, etc.), even more so. Deal with it.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 47, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
r.cade wrote:

I'm sorry for being blunt, but one of "The Stupidest" ideas about any given relationship is this one. Coming from a teen with a little or no real life experience, it might be acceptable, but if coming from an "adult", it's just pathetic. Any relationship is about sharing, and consequently, about compromises. If the relationship mentioned is about sharing your life (fiancée, wife, partner, etc.), even more so. Deal with it.

You forget that we are all different, it wasnt clear childern were involved when he wrote that.

For some of us its "my way or the highway", surprisingly enough there are women who accept men like me 😁

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-05-22, 10:46. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.