VOGONS

Reply 21 of 25, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Some drives just don't die easy, I've salvaged a few drives that have been out in the rain rust and all. The crappy ones always die fast and early no matter how well they are stored.

Yeah, I think most of the true duds have since passed on. Meanwhile, my 1987 MiniScribe 8425 20MB MFM HDD is seemingly still in good condition despite spending a number of years in a box in the attic of my house. That place turns into a furnace at worst during the summer and an igloo during the winter (no AC/heat and who knows how little insulation that room has). It very rarely gets powered on, but, the last time I did power it on, it passed its seek test. I don't know how good the drive is since I don't have an MFM controller to find out its true condition with, but something tells me that it might still be somewhat good.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 22 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

Some drives just don't die easy, I've salvaged a few drives that have been out in the rain rust and all. The crappy ones always die fast and early no matter how well they are stored.

This was also the point I was (poorly) trying to make in my post about the server's HDD's OK they are being used but they are exposed to the same environmental conditions some die, some don't. Storing drives, some will die, some wont. It'll be a roll of the dice either way no matter how well you store them.

I keep mine in anti static bags (sometimes 2 to a bag) in a draw. Its cool, dark, and somewhat air tight/dust free. That works well enough for me

Reply 23 of 25, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

This was also the point I was (poorly) trying to make in my post about the server's HDD's OK they are being used but they are exposed to the same environmental conditions some die, some don't. Storing drives, some will die, some wont. It'll be a roll of the dice either way no matter how well you store them.

I keep mine in anti static bags (sometimes 2 to a bag) in a draw. Its cool, dark, and somewhat air tight/dust free. That works well enough for me

Don't forget about humidity. I keep a small vat of calcium chloride on my eletronics drawers.

Reply 24 of 25, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

Connor drives

well, Connor (Macleod) drives die only by loosing their heads. 😀 Conner is another story. It is a great sum-up anyway.

aww yeah!

Actually I have a Conner CP-3000 from 1991 with both of its ferrite heads not chopped off, still running great with not even a single cluster gone bad 😁
It was used for 3 years, then the PC was stored in a garage for 20 years and then booted at the first atempt.