VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PVI-486SP3, Rev 1.21 and it has the VIA VT8228 voltage chip. I'm not sure if it is normal but whenever I try to use a Cyrix 586 100GP it keeps displaying 66mhz not matter what jumper settings I use, and when I try the 133ADW AMD, it displays AMD-DX4 and it comes up as 120 or 150mhz, I can't seem to get it to read 133, it works fine with any Intel chip, I figure a bios update might fix the incorrect display name.
I'm not sure if that Rev can take those CPUs.

Last edited by Turboman on 2015-05-28, 04:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've attached everything you need for the PVI-486SP3 motherboard. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the P/I-P6NP5 motherboard but, try Asus' website at http://support.asus.com. Alternatively, just search the web. That's how I found the PVI-486SP3 BIOS revisions.

The last "official" BIOS revision (0306) is saved under the BIOS folder. I didn't include the older revisions in order to save space and that you obviously only want the latest revision.
There is a later version available (0307) but, it's a beta version and has bugs. All it fixes is the Y2K bug.
I can also send that to you but, I'm happy with version 0306. The only exception is that it still suffers from the Y2K bug but, since it's 2015, you don't have to worry about the Y2K bug anymore 🤣. It keeps the current date and time perfectly.

The manual (in terms of the CPU jumper settings) refers to an older revision. Use the Technical Reference Guide (under the folder called "Manual") once you've flashed it to version 0306 for the correct jumper settings.

You can find the correct flash utility and instructions under the "Drivers & Utilities" folder in the file called "sis496.zip".
Be sure to refer to the "README" file (the one without an extension) for instructions on how to flash the BIOS.
You can use the "Flash.exe" utility to flash the BIOS.
Make sure you backup your current BIOS, in case something goes wrong, so that you can fall back on the version you currently have.

Very important: There are some jumper settings (JP32 & JP33) that you need to change in order to flash your BIOS. You need to check whether you have a 5V or a 12V flash ROM chip.
You can check this by carefully peeling back the sticker on the BIOS chip. Search for the serial number on the internet to identify which one you have.
The correct jumper settings for a 5V EPROM is JP32 (1&2) & JP33 (2&3)
For a 12V EPROM it's JP32 (1&2) & JP33 (1&2).
If you're not sure, first try the 5V setting. If you're receiving errors (unable to flash, etc.), then you can change it to the 12V setting. I have motherboard revision 1.2 and mine has the 5V flash ROM chip. Chances are that yours does too.
JP32 (2&3) & JP33 (2&3) is the "normal read" or default setting but, I just left it in the 5V setting since, sometimes, when you make changes to your BIOS settings, it needs to write entries to the EPROM.

Attachments

• Filename
    PVI-486SP3.zip
    File size
    3.53 MiB
    Downloads
    230 downloads
    File comment
    PVI-486SP3
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried looking at my chip but some of the wording is gone, I saw csi cat28f0 that only I am assuming it's cat28f020p. Anyway I tried the 5v first and it said no eprom flash memory, I then changed it to 12v and flashed it worked perfectly with no errors and now it's updated 😀 should I leave it in 12v mode or go back to normal 2&3 2&3? and thank you so much!

Reply 4 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Turboman wrote:

Well this is old I just noticed I am now getting an Error -- Can't Write ESCD, any suggestions on what to do?

Based on an internet search, your flash ROM is 12V.
Yes, I received the same "Can't write ESCD" error message after I changed the jumper settings back to "normal" mode.
You need to ensure that your jumper settings is (in your case) still in the 12V "write" mode. Once the BIOS has written the updated ESCD, then you can change it back to the "normal" mode again. It's only on odd occasions, if you make changes to your hardware, that the BIOS needs to write the ESCD.
Or, you can keep it that way. It's merely a "safety" measure to prevent accidental "flashing" of the BIOS (like a BIOS write protect).

Reply 5 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried setting the jumpers both ways but I still get that message, I also took the battery out and cleared the cmos but it's still there. I noticed when I leave it in 12v mode and try to restart it freezes and won't post I have to turn it off but if I go to write protect mode it seems to work. Is this something that should be address or nothing to be worried about then?

Reply 6 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the 5V setting as well but, this is strange.
Try searching on the internet for causes and possible solutions.
I got around my problem by setting it to the 5V setting.

Reply 7 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tired that as well same thing, I did do a search but I found nothing that was posted on actually fixing it. I wonder if going back one on the bios would fix it like update 305 instead of 306? or is this an issue with this board in general? I had 203 before updating it and that error wasn't there.

Reply 8 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try version 0305 and see if that works but, I doubt it.
This is odd since, if you were able to flash your BIOS and actually write (update it), if the jumpes are still in the correct setting, the BIOS should be able to update itself (the ESCD).

Try first by "clearing" your BIOS (with the flash tool) and then re-flash it again with version 0306.
Reboot, go into the BIOS, load default startup settings, save and exit.
Restart again, go into BIOS and then make the necessary changes for the optimal settings.

Refer to the attached zip file (can't remember whether I did include it in my previous upload). This one also includes another flash program called pflash.exe under the BIOS folder.
If the above step doesn't work, try flashing the BIOS with this utility.

Attachments

• Filename
    sp3drv.zip
    File size
    255.98 KiB
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File comment
    PVI-486SP3 supporting diskette 3.1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No go still the same I have at back to 306. Now I tried Pflash and when I use option 2 it says "Boot block of new bios is different from old one! please use advanced feature to flash whole bios. Now when I go to advanced feature and try to flash it says "error unknown flash type" this is in 12v mode. I tried 5v and normal mode as well. I tried PNP ESCD Parameter Block and it also says unknown flash type in all modes. It's almost like the bios update didn't flash the ESCD or the pflash doesn't recognize the flash type for some reason. Could I try a newer version award flash utility or something like that?

Reply 10 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try uniflash but, be careful as this will allow you to basically flash any BIOS with any firmware (maybe a bit extreme but, you get the picture).
Search for some topics on Vogons around the PVI-486SP3 BIOS update as I saw some posts with other people experiencing similar issues.

I must admit, every time I want to flash a BIOS, I start stressing because, this can result in a totally inactive motherboard.

Reply 12 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tied uniflash last night it's a really nice program I like how it displayed my chipset and full bios part number. I tried flashing it with both 305 and 306 and I still get the ESCD error. I guess that's about it nothing else I can think of either. I also found other posts and forums having this issue so it must be something with the way ASUS did the bios update that's causing this. I wonder if later reversions have the same problem?

jesolo, did you see this page? http://gboeger.de/Computer/Asus_PVI486SP3/pvisp3.html

some interesting notes there.

Reply 14 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm thinking of getting an EEPROM programmer what kind should I get? I see lots of them on ebay but not sure which one would work for me.
Also should I get another chip like the one this board has or should I get a different to flash for it? Catalyst CAT28F020P-20

Would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genius-G540-USB-Unive … =item4ad1d285c7

Reply 15 of 20, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Turboman wrote:

Yep, I believe several folks on VOGONS have that one. Same with this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221092473435?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a TL866CS a few days ago, so that works with both EEPROM and EPROM? This is my first time trying to do this so, I am not experienced programers, thanks.

Reply 17 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes it will work just fine
what is the chip used btw?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 20, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an update on this ESCD issue. I ordered a new bios chip and I bought the programmer I followed the steps on programming the new chip put it into the motherboard everything looks good but I still get the ESCD error. Here is my question could there be something on the motherboard that is bad that could cause this error or is the bios simply not compatible with all revisions of the motherboard? or could the bios chip itself be the reason why I am getting this error? is there another chip I could try that is compatible with this board besides the CAT28F020P?

When I used the programmer I erased the new chip I then picked the correct model from the list and opened the bios file and clicked program I have "erase before program , Check ID Device, and Verify After checked in the options. "Skip 0xFF, Auto Serials No., and Blank check" are unchecked in the options. "Set Range" is on all. Is there anything else I am supposed to do when using the programmer? Software us V6.10 latest version