VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I only have 7 slots for cards in my case, would this fit and be able to use the ISA slot?
$_3.JPG

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, it will be fine provided the case is a standard ATX one. The amr and isa slot are shared - meaning you can install only 1 card in either slot , not both.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board seems to have at least two bad caps, probably 6 so I hope you are up for some soldering.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As keropi said, the ISA and AMR slot are shared, so you're fine for a normal ATX case with seven slots; you can't use both ISA and AMR at once though.

As far as Pentium 3 and a heatsink - a heatsink is required, and if you're going with something "era appropriate" (like the little one in the first picture) it will almost certainly need a fan. However, Socket 370 will also generally mount Socket 462 heatsinks, and there are some very large 462 sinks that can run some P3s without a fan (especially if the case itself has airflow). For example I've successfully run my 1GHz CuMine with Thermalright SI-97 with just a case fan.

Reply 9 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Well, I can't resolder caps as I have no idea how to, so im SOL 😒

If I remember right there is a service (or perhaps services) that can do it for you, depending on the hardware. Or you could just buy a different board that doesn't have failing caps. 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't want to replace caps then I suggest looking at Asus or Intel boards. They used quality caps. If you get a board that had cheap caps installed at the factory, they might be okay on the day you buy the board, but they still won't be trustworthy.

Reply 11 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

yes, it will be fine provided the case is a standard ATX one. The amr and isa slot are shared - meaning you can install only 1 card in either slot , not both.

It really shouldn't matter. AMR is worthless anyway