VOGONS

Old Soyo Socket 7 Triton VX Help!

Topic actions

First post, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I' found an old computer in our garage a few days ago. It boots up and works. But I cannot find out what the motherboard is.
I've narrowed it down to a Soyo 5vd2 or something, but the pictures don't match up to it.

It has an AT keyboard connector on the back, four simms at the top with 2 dimm slots below those. It uses a nickel rechargable battery.

I wanted to update the bios to the latest version, as far as i am aware it can run up to a AMD 266 or a Pentium 233. It has a Pentium 200mmx in it right now. with 128mb EDO ram. The motherboard supports USB In the bios, but it has no usb sockets on it.

If anyone can help me narrow this board down exactly, Id' be greatful, as i dont want toflash the wrong bios, or change a dip switch!

I've included a picture too.
If you can help me identify some of the cards too, that would also be great. I know one is a creative sound card, that's about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20150530_180945.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20150530_180945.jpg
    File size
    3.03 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 22, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The audio card is a Creative CT2960 Vibra 16, drivers should be readily available to download online. The video card is a Cirrus Logic card, the exact model number is underneath the words Cirrus Logic on the big black chip. The Phillips card is most likely a DVD decoder card of some kind, Sorry I can not help much there. Also I can not tell from your pictures what the model number of the motherboard is, sorry. You may be able to use the Bios string of numbers underneath "press F1 to continue" to identify it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 22, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

According to the motherboard BIOS ID string, it's a Soyo 5VC. Here is a link to the 5VC2 to compare it with. Can't find an updated BIOS so far.

The Pinnacle card is a miro Video DRX, probably used for video capture.

The Cirrus Logic video card is a Prolink Computer MVGA-CL546XP (5464 video chip) and is limited to 2mb of memory. Here is a link with some basic info.

I have a Vibra16C CT2960. Fairly decent, clean but thin sound (no hardware mixer), has Creative CQM for FM synthesis (no OPL3). OK for basic use.

EDIT - Went to the Wayback Machine and found last updated BIOS and manual for the 5VC.

Attachments

• Filename
    m5vc11.pdf
    File size
    183.41 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File comment
    Soyo 5VC manual version 1.1
    File license
  • Filename
    5VC-0721.zip
    File size
    106.3 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Soyo 5VC BIOS, dated 07-21-1997
    File license

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 22, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will likely get better performance if you reduce the RAM to 64MB. USB will require a bracket to connect to a header on the motherboard, but be very careful with the pinout if you go down this route as it's a good way to blow up the board. This is very early USB 1.0 and might only work with USB sticks, printers etc.

Reply 4 of 22, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A pci USB 2.0 card would be a good option if you need USB.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
According to the motherboard BIOS ID string, it's a Soyo 5VC. Here is a link to the 5VC2 to compare it with. Can't find an updat […]
Show full quote

According to the motherboard BIOS ID string, it's a Soyo 5VC. Here is a link to the 5VC2 to compare it with. Can't find an updated BIOS so far.

The Pinnacle card is a miro Video DRX, probably used for video capture.

The Cirrus Logic video card is a Prolink Computer MVGA-CL546XP (5464 video chip) and is limited to 2mb of memory. Here is a link with some basic info.

I have a Vibra16C CT2960. Fairly decent, clean but thin sound (no hardware mixer), has Creative CQM for FM synthesis (no OPL3). OK for basic use.

EDIT - Went to the Wayback Machine and found last updated BIOS and manual for the 5VC.

Just wanted to say thank you for the help!!!
That' is a huge huge help, and You guys trump my knowledge of things, Aha.

As for USB I'll probably go PCI USB 1.1 or something, as BJT pointed out, I don't want to go blowing up the board.

My Proposed upgrades for it are.

Raid 0 with 2 10GB drives.
98SE. (It's the most compatable)
a PCI Nvidia MX4000 64mb
And Probably USB at somepoint.

I'm not sure exactly what the capture card was used for, let alone know where the software/drivers for it exist. I'll do some googling once the parts arrive. :>

Thank you all. Will keep you posted.

Reply 6 of 22, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd change that graphics card for an MX440, since it supports older drivers and, therefore, might give you better performance and better compatibility with older stuff. You could always go Banshee/Voodoo³ as well.
Also, no reason to get an USB 1.1 card instead of a 2.0 one.

Reply 7 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

I'd change that graphics card for an MX440, since it supports older drivers and, therefore, might give you better performance and better compatibility with older stuff. You could always go Banshee/Voodoo³ as well.
Also, no reason to get an USB 1.1 card instead of a 2.0 one.

Unfortunately i searched all over ebay for a PCI MX440. But there was'nt any. They were all aGP and the VX has no AGP slot.
Unfortunately the MX4000 was the only card i could get.

Howver i have a 433 AL440LX board, but it' wouldnt run in that either, since it's agp 1x/2z

Reply 8 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I put the computer together today.
But i've an issue. It will not boot witht he PCI MX4000 plugged into the PCI slots.

But if i put the old cirrus one in it'll boot. I went in the bios and configgured it to snoop for PCI VGA and set the irqs all auto matical, but it just wont beep. I'm not sure what the problem is. The card is fine and more or less brand new.
Also i found out it IS a SY-5VC

Reply 9 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, Also, Do you know what the commands are to boot the floppy with the bios and get it to start flashing? It's been a long time since i've had to do it with a floppy.

Reply 10 of 22, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as the boot order is configured, it will boot from the floppy first thing without intervention.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 11 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, managed to flash 5vC 0721 bios. Added some new options to the bios. But the PCI MX4000 plugged into the board will not boot. I tried the card in another motherboarrd and it works fine.

Sop i've no idea why it has an issue with this card.
The motherboard is PCI 2.1 complaint.

I'm just going to guess its a compatability issue. I'll get a Riva TNT2 or something 32mb,.

Reply 12 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was curious, Could it be a Power Supply Issue? That it's not enough to power the card and the system entirely?
The PSU is only 200W.

?Could it be i need to get a better PSU? I could find an ATX to AT converter somewhere?

The PSU is a Vastec I also included a shot of the pci/isa slots, incase there was something notworthy there.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

Maybe a PCI compliance issue. VX is PCI 2.1 and the MX4000 may require PCI 2.2 or 2.3, or 3.3V.

I guess that could be the reason, it is a dual notched card so it is 5v or 3.3. But as you suggested it might be a compliance issue. So I'll have to go with an older card, or fix up my Celeron 433. And use that if this other PCI card does not work. Ordered a PCI rival TNT 2. 32mb. I think that this would be able to run on the board. Its a Sparkle 5300 pci

Reply 16 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember this kind of problem with a PCI FX5200 on an older machine, in the end I just bought a PCI Mx200 and it just worked

Reply 17 of 22, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

O btw BJT was talking about the onboard usb 1.0 header not meeting the standard pinout when he was talking about blowing up the motherboard. If you connect usb ports to the onboard header that could happen 😀 if you get an old enough pci usb 2.0 card that meets the older pci compliance (like the issue you are having with a video card) then you will be fine! I can recommend a Belkin pci usb 2.0 card that uses an NEC chipset from personal experience with a p1 machine.

Reply 18 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well the bios added USB keyboard support, so it must have been updated in the bios or something., It probably is usb 1.0.
and the pinout matches a USB header i have though, it just slotted in.

USB 0.8 December 1994
USB 0.9 April 1995
USB 0.99 August 1995
USB 1.0 Release Candidate November 1995
USB 1.0 January 1996 Low Speed (1.5 Mbit/s), Full Speed (12 Mbit/s)
USB 1.1 August 1998

Attachments

Reply 19 of 22, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i'm not having much bloody luck, honestly, Got everything set up including the raid. But now it wont seek from floppy, It doesnt even check the floppy even if i tell it to, It'll get stuck on Verifying DMI data, and stick there, But if i change it to CDrom it'll seek for the cdrom drive, then if there is no disk, it'll get stuck, it wont even seek the foppy drive when it has done before.. Tried three floppy drives and two cables.

Should i unset the Striping 0.5mb setting and then leave them as seperate drives then format them?

But i still don't understand why it wont seek the floppy drive. It'ss all connected properly and turned on. I've put the jumper on clear and unplugged it. So I hope it'll reset properly and work again.