VOGONS

First post, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really want to backup my old floppies, especially since already I have one game where one of the install floppies went bad (really annoying, too, because it seems to be rather rare, "Advanced Spelling Tricks featuring Yobi", but at least I have the actual game backed up), but I don't know what software to use. I've used the trial version of Winimage and it seems pretty good, but I don't currently have a 5.25 in drive to test it with, and I don't know if I will be able to use it to backup some old PC booter disks I have (such as the original release of King's Quest). I really don't want to shell out the amount of money that KryoFlux costs so I'm hoping that there are cheaper alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ocdmonkey wrote:

cheaper alternatives.

attached is my collected notes for using the *nix command dd.

I haven't used it for a 5.25. Don't know if that'll add a kink or not. Will say if your drive is in an older Pentium 1 era machine, then a Knoppix 3.x LiveCD will do nicely for this task.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

I use WinImage for my floppy needs.

Do you know if it can backup 5.25 in. disks, and if it can backup old PC booter disks? I really like Winimage, but I really want to get something that will let me backup and restore my PCjr King's Quest game once I get a 5.25 in drive.

Reply 4 of 8, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ocdmonkey wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

Do you know if it can backup 5.25 in. disks, and if it can backup old PC booter disks? I really like Winimage, but I really want to get something that will let me backup and restore my PCjr King's Quest game once I get a 5.25 in drive.

It'll do 5.25 disks, I just did that recently. Some old Amstrad boot disks I have backed up fine. Resqflpy is another good piece of software for this job, if a bit more difficult to use than Winimage.

Reply 5 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ocdmonkey wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

It will do 5.25" formats just fine. I'm not sure about the non-DOS formats much. But I know it can't do OS/2 1.8MB and SCO/386 floppies.

For anything non-DOS, you can use Rawrite (I was using it to backup old Okuma CNC floppies).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 8, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:
ocdmonkey wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

It will do 5.25" formats just fine. I'm not sure about the non-DOS formats much. But I know it can't do OS/2 1.8MB and SCO/386 floppies.

For anything non-DOS, you can use Rawrite (I was using it to backup old Okuma CNC floppies).

I found Rawrite for DOS and one for Windows. The Windows one only says it reads and writes 1.44 meg disks, though, and all my pc booter disks are 5.25 in (I haven't looked up the capacity of these). This is the Windows version I found: http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

As far as I can tell, the DOS version doesn't create image files which is what I want.

I found an image of the PC-booter King's Quest online which works in DOSBox. I wish I knew what they used to get it, though. It is a .img file.

Edit: Ok, interesting update. I used the Windows version of Rawrite to write the pc booter King's Quest img to a 1.44 meg floppy, and it seems to have worked. Of course, not having any PCjr/Tandy 1000 computers I can't test to see if it was fully successful, but the computer I did try it on didn't give me that "non-system disk" error, so that's something.

Reply 7 of 8, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ocdmonkey wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

Never tried actually as my 5 1/4' drive is missing. But it probably does since I've copied many non-copyable (by standard ways) discs that had experienced wear and tear from years of service. Pretty nifty piece of software.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ocdmonkey wrote:

I really don't want to shell out the amount of money that KryoFlux costs so I'm hoping that there are cheaper alternatives.

For sophisticated copy protection schemes, quite possibly nothing else will do (unless you can find an old Catweasel).

Teledisk is pretty popular, I understand.