VOGONS

First post, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's for my main ring, Celermine @1.1ghz asus-p2b 754mb 2-2-2 FSB 124mhz 160gb HD heavy load tunned SP3 with custom Firefox 14 and it's slow for every day internet work... I cant identify the bottleneck, maybe the 128kb cache, ram, ata 33, thinking about downgrade OS , plain first edition of Xp (no usb2.0 support), sp1 , sp2 or sp3. Which one do you think it is faster guys?

Reply 1 of 32, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember the largest performance hit I felt on XP was going from SP2 to SP3. Plain (no-SP) XP should be the fastest but the least secure & useful for the current times. It's much closer to 2000 with its lack of HW/SW support and vulnerabilities than to 'modern' XP.

Now that you mention it, I'm tempted to do some experimenting on some old laptops I've got lying around that are too new for 9x but choke on XP SP3.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 32, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPU is the bottleneck here, not OS.
You need SSE2-equipped CPU for decent web browsing... so at least Athlon64 or 2.6 (+) GHz P4.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed with havli on this specific machine - the hardware you're running is just far too slow for what you want. An SSE2 CPU and a GPU with Flash/multimedia acceleration is, unfortunately, a requirement for solid web browsing - sure you can get by on less, but if you don't want things to grind to to a halt at any point, it's really the best option.

On SP1 vs SP2 etc, I know there is a benchmark out there that has all three lined up, but these are the best I could find:
http://icrontic.com/article/does_service_pack … 2_slow_you_down

The caveat to this, is that IME if you're on an older machine (like a P3), updates can have a more significant toll on performance than on a newer system (like the A64 in the above test). 😊

Reply 5 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea im forced to agree, my XP 2800 runs like a dog attempting to browser with firefox, chrome wont install and opera just crashes, my P4 however runs fine. Get SSE2

Reply 7 of 32, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Logistics wrote:

I'm sure both were stock ACPI installs, in SP2+ they removed the ability to install with no ACPI. Now, I want to run some benchmarks.

I unintentionally did a fresh install of SP2 without ACPI recently, so it must be possible. However, this was on a PII machine. It just didn't load the ACPI drivers on its own.

Reply 8 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

On SP1 vs SP2 etc, I know there is a benchmark out there that has all three lined up, but these are the best I could find:
http://icrontic.com/article/does_service_pack … 2_slow_you_down

There's also http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/xp-sp3-per … home-about/1747 , as previously posted at Re: Is Windows 2000 good for anything? .

The very fastest would probably be Windows for Legacy PCs (WinFLP), but I would be wary of poking at that; the more you delve into the obscure, the more likely you are to encounter weird compatibility problems. Also it is of course illegal.

Reply 9 of 32, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A somewhat serious answer: Windows 7. But you really need to get off Coppermine as a daily driver. I like playing with P3 and they're good at running modern software despite expectations, but Core 2 level shit rains from the sky and will happily run Windows 7/8/10/omgwtfbbq. Windows XP is just plain terrible, and it gets worse with less service packs. Back then with SP0/SP1, you'd be pwned just for connecting to the internet. I know because I dealt with XP. Vista was a relief.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 10 of 32, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Agreed with havli on this specific machine - the hardware you're running is just far too slow for what you want. An SSE2 CPU and a GPU with Flash/multimedia acceleration is, unfortunately, a requirement for solid web browsing - sure you can get by on less, but if you don't want things to grind to to a halt at any point, it's really the best option.

You made a point, I never thought of SSE2. I've mod a Tualatin 1.4@1.67ghz with no gains at all (in web browsing), tried out several web browsers, it's really frustrating, no matter how much tunning i do (cas, ras, xp tunning, ata100), it's always slow.

Reply 11 of 32, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a Tualatin 1.4GHz with Win2k SP4 and it's still slow on most web sites. It runs Firefox 5 with noScript, but as soon as some scripts have to be enabled, it gets slow. It's limited to 512MB RAM but I don't think that's the most pressing problem. The onboard graphics are basic Intel junk. Flash acceleration would probably help a lot, but I don't think even an upgraded card will allow Flash acceleration without SSE2.

Come to think of it, I wonder whether it's feasible to bypass the SSE2 requirement with any open source video drivers on Linux or BSD.

I do use that Win2k Tualatin machine daily but only for a few specific sites. It's just a matter of convenience with where that machine is located, and it's compact size. If I have a little extra time, I'll sometimes get on VOGONS with it so I'm grateful this forum works well with older machines.

It's amazing how much SSE2 has become a curse for older CPUs. When it was introduced, I just figured it was another minor tweak to SIMD instructions which had already been around for a while. I never would have expected it to become such a significant break point in terms of compatibility and performance.

Reply 13 of 32, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Flash is a dog on recent hardware. Thankfully, you can safely get away with disabling it now.

SSE2 is basically expected at this point, and is arguably the point where SSE got useful. Developers aren't going to bend over backwards for an extremely small minority of P3 users.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 14 of 32, by RDRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote:
I use a Tualatin 1.4GHz with Win2k SP4 and it's still slow on most web sites. It runs Firefox 5 with noScript, but as soon as s […]
Show full quote

I use a Tualatin 1.4GHz with Win2k SP4 and it's still slow on most web sites. It runs Firefox 5 with noScript, but as soon as some scripts have to be enabled, it gets slow. It's limited to 512MB RAM but I don't think that's the most pressing problem. The onboard graphics are basic Intel junk. Flash acceleration would probably help a lot, but I don't think even an upgraded card will allow Flash acceleration without SSE2.

Come to think of it, I wonder whether it's feasible to bypass the SSE2 requirement with any open source video drivers on Linux or BSD.

I do use that Win2k Tualatin machine daily but only for a few specific sites. It's just a matter of convenience with where that machine is located, and it's compact size. If I have a little extra time, I'll sometimes get on VOGONS with it so I'm grateful this forum works well with older machines.

It's amazing how much SSE2 has become a curse for older CPUs. When it was introduced, I just figured it was another minor tweak to SIMD instructions which had already been around for a while. I never would have expected it to become such a significant break point in terms of compatibility and performance.

Yes, I've tried Tualeron 1.4@1.65Ghz in modded P3V4X with massive 2GB 124mhz @cas2 , sata pci, and it internet surf was a pain... . But the massive RAM did help a lot browsing 10+ "simple" sites at the same time and loading .NET desktop software , even an arkanoid in .net is sadly slow!!

Reply 15 of 32, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that for quite a long time, floating point instructions could easily be made optional with a simple setting in a C compiler. The compiled code would detect if an FPU existed, and if it didn't, an integer based codepath was used. The programmer didn't have to write it, it was done by the compiler.
It's too bad that this doesn't seem to be the common way of handling SSE2. Instead, once a programmer decides to turn on that flag, the program just breaks on anything that doesn't support those instructions.

Reply 16 of 32, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the availability of p4/athlon64/core2 stuff now days there is no point in trying to nurse along an old p3 or Athlon for web browsing/daily usage.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

I think you need at least SP2 because of it would solve that 137GB barrier thing.

so will any drver for an ATA100/133 controller 🤣

Reply 19 of 32, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joe6pack wrote:
Logistics wrote:

I'm sure both were stock ACPI installs, in SP2+ they removed the ability to install with no ACPI. Now, I want to run some benchmarks.

I unintentionally did a fresh install of SP2 without ACPI recently, so it must be possible. However, this was on a PII machine. It just didn't load the ACPI drivers on its own.

Perhaps it is SP3+, then. I was telling my computer engineer cousin about how my SP3 install disc wouldn't allow me to install without ACPI, and he said they removed the ability since SP2. Perhaps, he was wrong or maybe there is simply something wrong with my SP3 disc. Hopefully, I can find my old SP1 disc.